The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Two home games against non OF teams to start with. Probably as good as we could have expected.

Beating The Rangers at Ibrox to deprive them of the league could be some laugh

Qualify for Europe and do that shower out of the title?

carl-chef-kiss.gif.c204a786f2e2c2e50421dc6627eb0ef2.gif

2 hours ago, Mdiap said:

Think that's a blow. He's been missed the last couple of games.

While his energy and general running about has been missed, he is very replaceable imo.

Would Charlie Adam have had the space he did if Harkes and / or Butcher played? Probably not.

But fucking hell, if we can't replace someone that runs about and moves the ball sideways then we should just give up.

Its like having a slightly more disciplined Willo Flood without the dig. If we had a Scott Allan type then Harkes wouldn't be near the starting 11 when Butcher was fit. All imo of course.

Aside from the Harkes situation, now top 6 is confirmed, do we now unleash the crop of mini Messis the club has been crowing about or double down and push for Europe?

For me it's a European push for whats probably the most undeserving United team of all time, outside of cup final teams who've qualified. But even then....

41 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

While his energy and general running about has been missed, he is very replaceable imo.

Would Charlie Adam have had the space he did if Harkes and / or Butcher played? Probably not.

But fucking hell, if we can't replace someone that runs about and moves the ball sideways then we should just give up.

Its like having a slightly more disciplined Willo Flood without the dig. If we had a Scott Allan type then Harkes wouldn't be near the starting 11 when Butcher was fit. All imo of course.

Aside from the Harkes situation, now top 6 is confirmed, do we now unleash the crop of mini Messis the club has been crowing about or double down and push for Europe?

For me it's a European push for whats probably the most undeserving United team of all time, outside of cup final teams who've qualified. But even then....

Now that we have achieved the top six we will continue to see uninspiring shite from Courts that will undoubtedly feature Mark McNulty.

Dundee United head coach Tam Courts has revealed midfielder Ian Harkes is likely to miss the rest of the season with an ankle injury, but the Tannadice boss is confident the American will extend his contract beyond the summer. (The Courier)

I'm confident we'll be watching the same murderball next season if Harkes is being asked to sign a new contract.

Harkes is a mediocre player who along with Pawlett turned in some very good performances early in the season.  Sadly he has a tendency to disappear in some games.

I’m sure there are other players out there of comparable ability who might be a bit more consistent.

I don’t see a queue of clubs offering him a better deal than United might.

24 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Harkes is a mediocre player who along with Pawlett turned in some very good performances early in the season.  Sadly he has a tendency to disappear in some games.

I’m sure there are other players out there of comparable ability who might be a bit more consistent.

I don’t see a queue of clubs offering him a better deal than United might.

If he was going to get a better offer I'd imagine he'd have signed a pre contract by now.

Hes not got the physical attributes to play a decent level down south so IMO it'll be us or another Scottish Prem team. Hopefully.

Butcher should be a CH and backup if anything. IF the rumours going around are true (hopefully not) he might not have a future at the club. If untrue and assuming Graham will be flogged pronto at the first semi reasonable offer, a back 3 of Edwards, Mulgrew and Butcher would be a decent enough defence provided we get the midfield right. Which is a massive if.

Harkes can gtf.

Pawlett can gtf.

McNulty can gtf.

Sporle can gtf.

I think Levitt will gtf but id keep if possible.

Benji will gtf but I think the new keeper will be fine.

Not sure about McDonald. Hes good on the ball and very composed but he can't get about much. Maybe after a pre season he'll be up to speed so I'd be tempted to offer a 1 year deal if hes not on big bucks.

I'd be tempted to keep Clark as backup if hes not on big money - is he out of contract this season or next?

Other than that i think everyone else is contracted to next season?

We need a physical box to box midfielder who can pass forwards as well as sideways.

A proper striker capable of scoring 10-15 a season. Ideally a Jon Daly type target man.

A creative playmaker who can take the ball from deep and set up the likes of Watt and McNulty who will no doubt get a 3 year deal. Sigh.

A winger would also be nice but don't think the club will look on that as a priority.

Other than that, I think the young lads like Glass, Chalmers and Mochrie etc should be given the chance to step up as thats what the clubs aim is, as they keep telling us.

1 minute ago, mishtergrolsch said:

If he was going to get a better offer I'd imagine he'd have signed a pre contract by now.

Hes not got the physical attributes to play a decent level down south so IMO it'll be us or another Scottish Prem team. Hopefully.

Butcher should be a CH and backup if anything. IF the rumours going around are true (hopefully not) he might not have a future at the club. If untrue and assuming Graham will be flogged pronto at the first semi reasonable offer, a back 3 of Edwards, Mulgrew and Butcher would be a decent enough defence provided we get the midfield right. Which is a massive if.

Harkes can gtf.

Pawlett can gtf.

McNulty can gtf.

Sporle can gtf.

I think Levitt will gtf but id keep if possible.

Benji will gtf but I think the new keeper will be fine.

Not sure about McDonald. Hes good on the ball and very composed but he can't get about much. Maybe after a pre season he'll be up to speed so I'd be tempted to offer a 1 year deal if hes not on big bucks.

I'd be tempted to keep Clark as backup if hes not on big money - is he out of contract this season or next?

Other than that i think everyone else is contracted to next season?

We need a physical box to box midfielder who can pass forwards as well as sideways.

A proper striker capable of scoring 10-15 a season. Ideally a Jon Daly type target man.

A creative playmaker who can take the ball from deep and set up the likes of Watt and McNulty who will no doubt get a 3 year deal. Sigh.

A winger would also be nice but don't think the club will look on that as a priority.

Other than that, I think the young lads like Glass, Chalmers and Mochrie etc should be given the chance to step up as thats what the clubs aim is, as they keep telling us.

I am hopeful that we do not offer McNulty a contract.  There is simply no justification.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I am hopeful that we do not offer McNulty a contract.  There is simply no justification.

The manager fucking loves him. Thats all that matters.

I hope you are right but in my mind I'm seeing him getting a deal.

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Aye but Aberdeen are shite. He's only getting til end of the season 

Which season? He can't sign until the window opens in the summer. Also he's really shite. If we're just looking for a big lump there are bigger and better lumps out there.