The Dundee United Thread 22/23

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not willing to write him off after a couple of disastrous performances.

I wrote him off after 10 seconds of his "hilights" package. He is a poppadom handed keeper who doesn't seem to realise you need to get your body behind the ball.

He'll make some worldies though.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I recall saying at the time paying £150k for Tony Watt was mental when he was signed on a pre contract. We should have spent that cash on signing a sitting midfield or an out and out playmaker. 

He was good in flashes but now, as I expected, he just frustrates me falling about and he never seems to take the rare chances he creates.

As you say, hes Tony Watt. Thats why he is where he is and didn't make it at Celtic.

Watt was one of stand-out players last season. He was good v Killie, brilliant at home to AZ and now 3 games later, when the whole team has been shite, Watt shouldn't have been signed and only good in flashes?

Absolute fcuking gibberish!

13 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I would expect to see lots of warm smiles and handshakes between Ross and Watt at the weekend. 

(Unfortunately?), that whole humorous story is made up: there was a clue in one of the originator's previous tweets, where he mentioned Jack Ross waiting for the arrival of chinos from Zara.

Watt was one of the main reasons we were able to make the top 6 and a european spot last season.  Yes, he's temperamental and hasn't been the goal threat we hoped but he added an attacking intent we were completely missing.

The extent to which Fuchs protected the back 4 and won us possession in the middle of the park can't be overlooked.  He hasn't been replaced and we don't have anyone else capable of doing the job.  Frustratingly, against AZ at home, the whole team showed they were capable of playing without a player like that, pressing high up the park and keeping it up for pretty much 90 minutes.  We have barely seen that in the league games with the exception of maybe the first 20 minutes of the second half against Killie.

Unless we are going to sign another DM, Sibbald needs to be playing as he is the only one who has shown some propensity to put in a tackle in midfield.  Either Harkes or McGrath then needs to be sacrificed - I would persevere with McGrath given he more naturally slots into the no 10 role.  

I would also consider going back to the 3-5-2 of last season even though it leaves no place for Middleton or Niskanen, our two paciest players, with Smith/Freeman and Behich as WBs.

Has Tony Watt morphed into Donald Trump?  He seems to be either the cause of all our woes or he’s beyond criticism.

Personally I think he’s a very good player who has not offered enough so far this season.  I also wish he would stop throwing himself to the ground every time someone looks sideways at him.

Has Tony Watt morphed into Donald Trump?  He seems to be either the cause of all our woes or he’s beyond criticism.
Personally I think he’s a very good player who has not offered enough so far this season.  I also wish he would stop throwing himself to the ground every time someone looks sideways at him.

I fully agree. Wow

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I'd agree with this too. I also wish he'd stop trying to be so greedy. Needs to remember its a team game amd he can't do everything. For example as well as he played against AZ at home, the amount of times he ignored the overlapping Sheep, tried to take on too many defenders, lost the ball and allowed them to attack into the space Sheep had left was infuriating. It was glossed over as we ovver all were really good that night. Similar against Sunnderland, guilty of over playing it.

I'm fairly positive about him, he is a good player. He is not as bad as the current criticism is making out, but as Granny says that doesn't mean he is beyond criticism as there are aspects to his game that could be improved.

On 15/08/2022 at 14:28, Coventry Saint said:

f**k off.

On 15/08/2022 at 14:31, Granny Danger said:

That’s more like it.

That's a friendly greeting in Paisley. 

When someone from Paisley greets you with f**k off, you reply, naw you f**k off. You'll be besties in no time.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

That's a friendly greeting in Paisley. 

When someone from Paisley greets you with f**k off, you reply, naw you f**k off. You'll be besties in no time.

...Stanley Baxter, 1980.

7 minutes ago, cowdenbeath0-3 said:

Evening gents we have just signed layton Bisland on loan from yourselves any idea what to expect?

Probably end up knowing more about him than us. Never heard anything bad or good about him from academy staff so probably a solid player if unspectacular. 

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath0-3 said:

Evening gents we have just signed layton Bisland on loan from yourselves any idea what to expect?

Not sure he's even made the bench for us so no idea. I think he did sign a new contract in the summer, so presumably there's at least some degree of hope/expectation at the club that he might make it.