The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 minute ago, Fletchers Saucy Manbun said:

TBH even after this latest embarrassing mauling, the most disgusted I've been this weekend is still your lad Kenneh at Livi's first goal, tracking back like he was on the last mile of a charity 10k dressed in a Mr Blobby suit. Just missing the waves to the crowd.

Aye no idea what the plumb was doing.  Just a wee stroll in the sun too much hassle to get back :lol: 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Something I noticed from your starting line up graphic. I take it the club have stopped advertising players graduated from your academy in match day squads now that Ross has been spending a fucking fortune on players?

Add #Unitedinpursuit to that.

#unitedinpursuitofanewkeeper?

#unitedinpursuitofsomeballs?

#unitedinpursuitofanewmanagerbeforenovember?

#unitedinpursuitofchristknowswhat

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I've watched 2 dayglo fruit games, hardly makes me an obsessive.

I'll bet you had a tune in on Friday, Twonkle.

Thank you.

I didnt tune in on Friday as i was on my way back from a European fixture involving my club. Given your tender years, id be surprised if you ever see another one for yours

Thank you

3 hours ago, Twinkle said:

All fine saying that we need a defensive midfielder but if the opposition is scoring nearly every time they have a shot on target then you have no chance. The keeper needs replaced

Just watched the highlights and I reckon folk are massively overreacting re the keeper.

He did make some good saves as well as coming off his line fairly commandingly.

He's fcuked up at the third goal, no doubt. You could make a case that another keeper might have saved Mackay's strike but I'm not convinced.

Mulgrew - playing as a defensive midfielder - is just as culpable for goals conceded. New left-back too.

Take the first goal. Behich engages the wrong player, allowing an easy pass down the line, which drags Graham out of position. Mulgrew can see a midfield runner and does nothing.

The keeper is an easy target but plenty others played just as badly, or worse.

Screenshot 2022-08-14 at 22.40.34.png

Is that big huddy (Ryan Edwards), a Hibs supporter?

I have never seen a player of a ‘neutral’ team get so completely wound up every time we play them. 😄

Devlin just rattles about his head 24/7 like a marble.

11 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

It's pretty incredible that nothing has been done to replace Fuchs & Butcher.

Always amazes me with managers that something so obvious to fans is often ignored or missed by the guy whose job it is to see it.

Fuchs may have been the most underrated player in the league the last two years.

I'm not going to claim to know the details of how much cash you got for him, but to not even try to replace him is a horrific mistake and to me means United will be fighting for 9th or 10th.

27 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

There's an Arab on here who's username I've forgot that's summed it up nicely for me on twitter. 

Essentially; get Harkes, Smith, Chalmers, Clark, Pawlett to f**k and drop the keeper till his heads back in the game. 

@SGMilne

You’ve watched our performances and have come to the conclusion that players not playing are to blame?

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

You’ve watched our performances and have come to the conclusion that players not playing are to blame?

The point I had made was that if Ross doesn't think the likes of Clark and Chalmers are either good enough to come off the bench  - or in the case of Chalmers not even make the bench  - then they need moved on.

Nicky Clark is on £2500 p/w and Ross clearly doesn't rate him, so we need to move him on. He's a proven goalscorer at Premiership level in spite of being limited, and he'd certainly still be a good player in the Championship so I don't doubt there'd be someone out there willing to take him off our hands, even if it meant us supplementing his salary or giving him the difference up front.

Yesterday I watched Robbie Neilson bring on 5 subs, each of whom could easily have started a game and the team would be as good if not better. Jack Ross made two subs and had no interest in bringing anyone else on, because they wouldn't have made any difference. We're not Hearts and don't have their budget but considering what we'll be paying some of those guys who are sitting on the bench good money, they have to be good enough to be called upon when the first XI aren't performing.

Anyway, other points I'd made were...

- Keeper needs dropped. He can't be as bad as he's shown so far, but when someone's struggling as badly as he is, surely the point of having two first team goalkeepers is that if one isn't performing, the other one steps up. As above, if Ross doesn't trust Erikssen, then we need to offload him and bring in someone he does trust

- Liam Smith needs dropped and potentially moved on. I just don't think he's a good right back. In games at Tannadice, everything seems to go through him as well and he just doesn't have the attacking ability and over the last week he's shown he's an easy target for the opposition. Ironically, I felt he performed better in midfield and centre back last season than he ever has at right back. Freeman offers so much more going forward

- Behich looks like he'll be a good signing. He had a horror debut but in amongst a lot of poor performers yesterday he got into the box to win the pen and has some dig about him

- Cudjoe must play! He's the only player who seems to have a bit of attacking intent at the moment. He lost his man for the second goal but on the whole he did a lot of work tracking back and going forward

- Defensive Midfielder is a must. When you are forced to play your best centre back in central midfield, then something's gone wrong with your recruitment. We need some dig in there

- 343/352 might be a better option? Last season the trio at the back worked quite well. It reduced our attacking intent but at least we looked steady.

Edited by SGMilne

4 hours ago, Lola montez said:

If there is ever a team you need to play to break a bad run of form then your next one should sort you out, we seem to have that effect so much that Man Utd will be looking for a friendly in Paisley. 

Not often you see ‘Paisley’ and ‘friendly’ in the same sentence.

51 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

The point I had made was that if Ross doesn't think the likes of Clark and Chalmers are either good enough to come off the bench  - or in the case of Chalmers not even make the bench  - then they need moved on.

Nicky Clark is on £2500 p/w and Ross clearly doesn't rate him, so we need to move him on. He's a proven goalscorer at Premiership level in spite of being limited, and he'd certainly still be a good player in the Championship so I don't doubt there'd be someone out there willing to take him off our hands, even if it meant us supplementing his salary or giving him the difference up front.

Yesterday I watched Robbie Neilson bring on 5 subs, each of whom could easily have started a game and the team would be as good if not better. Jack Ross made two subs and had no interest in bringing anyone else on, because they wouldn't have made any difference. We're not Hearts and don't have their budget but considering what we'll be paying some of those guys who are sitting on the bench good money, they have to be good enough to be called upon when the first XI aren't performing.

Anyway, other points I'd made were...

- Keeper needs dropped. He can't be as bad as he's shown so far, but when someone's struggling as badly as he is, surely the point of having two first team goalkeepers is that if one isn't performing, the other one steps up. As above, if Ross doesn't trust Erikssen, then we need to offload him and bring in someone he does trust

- Liam Smith needs dropped and potentially moved on. I just don't think he's a good right back. In games at Tannadice, everything seems to go through him as well and he just doesn't have the attacking ability and over the last week he's shown he's an easy target for the opposition. Ironically, I felt he performed better in midfield and centre back last season than he ever has at right back. Freeman offers so much more going forward

- Behich looks like he'll be a good signing. He had a horror debut but in amongst a lot of poor performers yesterday he got into the box to win the pen and has some dig about him

- Cudjoe must play! He's the only player who seems to have a bit of attacking intent at the moment. He lost his man for the second goal but on the whole he did a lot of work tracking back and going forward

- Defensive Midfielder is a must. When you are forced to play your best centre back in central midfield, then something's gone wrong with your recruitment. We need some dig in there

- 343/352 might be a better option? Last season the trio at the back worked quite well. It reduced our attacking intent but at least we looked steady.

Agree.

However.

I refuse to believe Nicky Clark is on £2500 a week. Even if its definitely true im not believing it.

And yes, Liam Smith is not a very good full back and should be moved on ASAP.