The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Is Harkes' first yellow really a yellow? Not for me, unless someone can tell me different (tackling the keeper before he's 'punted' it maybe a rule?)  

Ball in the air, to be won. Never touched the keeper...

It's not a foul unless there's a particular rule against it - keeper's released the ball and Harkes has been clever enough to nick the ball between the throw and kick .. except there is a specific rule against. You can't interfere with the keeper when he has possession of the ball and that includes the period between throwing the ball up and kicking it. A professional player should know that.

2 hours ago, skinny arab said:

I’ve mentioned previously in this thread that the lack of a decent defensive midfielder would hurt us and I think today further emphasised this point, not saying we definitely would have held on but an aggressive ball winner protecting the back certainly would have helped today as the red card turned it into a game of attack v defence for the final 20 minutes. 
Positives from todays performance for me were the keeper looks good and isn’t shy on an early release (refreshing after 20 seconds Benji), Fletcher showed he will be a key player for me and hopefully him and Watt can strike up a decent understanding as there were a headers that Fletch won that Watt didn’t read, Levitt scores another cracker and finally despite not being impressed so far I thought Sibbald had a decent game. 
Negatives were Harkes, performance and bookings (thought both were a tad harsh but when on a booking don’t make daft needless fouls) and I thought we were a bit too quick to go ultra negative after the sending off as felt we started the second half better than Killie but after the red card we decided to abandon attacking. 

While I don’t disagree about the need for a proper defensive midfielder, the red card didn’t turn the game into attack v defence - we chose to sit back like that.

24 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

It's not a foul unless there's a particular rule against it - keeper's released the ball and Harkes has been clever enough to nick the ball between the throw and kick .. except there is a specific rule against. You can't interfere with the keeper when he has possession of the ball and that includes the period between throwing the ball up and kicking it. A professional player should know that.

Are you arguing with yourself?

13 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Happy thus far from what I’ve seen of JR, but camping in your box after a red card is a shitehouse move.

I thought we were already regressing a bit even before the red card - we started playing to defend our lead from the second it hit the back of the net. 

My bigger concern was the fact that we did not seem to have any striking replacement for Fletcher (who, at his age, is going to be subbed off almost every week) or Watt - neither Niskanen nor Middleton are central strikers, and it made it far too easy for Killie to retain possession.

Also concerning that JR thinks Cudjoe is good enough to start games at this level - his performance was absolutely woeful yesterday.

12 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Tony Watt looked back to his best today. Absolute pest to play against.

We need a big season from Watt - he has all the potential, going to be very interesting to see if he delivers on that.

12 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Had reservations about Sibbald. Not after today. He'll be an immense player for us this season.

Agreed that Sibbald was our best player yesterday, he didn't let anyone go by him all game.  Was also very impressed, especially in the first 55-60 mins, by McMann. 

10 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Positives from todays performance for me were the keeper looks good and isn’t shy on an early release (refreshing after 20 seconds Benji)...

Noticed that, too - so good to see a keeper willing to (a) release the ball early; and (b) throw or roll the ball out to full-backs.  Benji (who, don't get me wrong, is a legend and saved us many, many points over the years) was far too keen to just kick the ball as high and as far down the middle of the pitch as possible.

8 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

You can't interfere with the keeper when he has possession of the ball and that includes the period between throwing the ball up and kicking it. A professional player should know that.

Correct.  Harkes' stupidity is completely indefensible, the sort of thing a 12 year old would do in a Sunday league game.  He annoyed us all by messing around with his contract this summer and returning late to pre-season, so you'd think he'd be trying to win back some favour.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

United haven't really done anything wrong today beyond the initial mistake of contracting out to a tin pot organisation who as well as being shite don't comply with even the most basic GPDR requirements 

But apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us?

On 18/07/2022 at 22:17, steve55 said:

Scrapped the whole thing now.

Travelling to the Netherlands with proof of vaccination

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/requirements-for-proof-of-vaccination

Nothing stopping you flying to Belgium and taking the train up. 2 hours from Antwerp and no vaccine checks.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Bit late now for Schiphol border guards. I suspect it's more of an IQ filter now than a health security measure.

It also ensures that Ian Brown or Right Said Fred will never play in the Netherlands, so I call that a win/win for them