The Dundee United Thread 22/23

47 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If you remember the Gauld era you will recall entertaining football.  I really enjoyed going to the games at that time.

The Motherwell away game maybe the highlight.

One of the most entertaining games amd eras, of course. Feels like it was 20 years ago though. 

Some of the shite in recent years has dulled my memory.

14 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

No maybe about it. IMHO the best United performance this century.

Crazy to think though, that that game was just in November. Jackie Mac managed to rip the wheels off the bus in spectacular style over the winter!

Spoiler

Fucking c**t.

1 minute ago, ArabFC said:

Happy thus far from what I’ve seen of JR, but camping in your box after a red card is a shitehouse move.

Pretty much describes his time in charge at Sunderland.

Seen most of the game, hard to begrudge Killie a point, even before the red card they looked alright.

Tony Watt looked back to his best today. Absolute pest to play against.

33 minutes ago, FIFE ARABIAN said:

Screenshot_20220730-181126_FotMob.jpg

I was pleased to see that Declan agreed a contract extension before he left. Suggests he's still in the plans. Hope to see him make a big impact when he comes back. Still got a big chance to make it at United, I think.

56 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Happy thus far from what I’ve seen of JR, but camping in your box after a red card is a shitehouse move.

"why were Sunderland fans not happy with JR"

"why were Hibs fans not happy with JR"

This is a fairly common refrain these days tbh - esp when you score first. It works for a while, but - as you found out today - can result in shitey sucker punches.

See also - doesnt learn from previous tactical errors.

2 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Had reservations about Sibbald. Not after today. He'll be an immense player for us this season. If we get McGrath in and not need to play Harkes and a decent DM alongside Levitt that'll be very decent team. 

Yeah, Sibbald was good. I was hoping Meekison might have come on for Harkes before his sending off. Hopefully he gets a chance next week. I think Sibbald is intended as the most defensive of the three. My recollection of him from his time at Falkirk is that he's got plenty of dig.

Edited by Pull My Strings

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Is that a certain referee who switched from the SPFL to the EFL in the summer?

Jamie Walker standing on the players foot. :lol:

I’ve mentioned previously in this thread that the lack of a decent defensive midfielder would hurt us and I think today further emphasised this point, not saying we definitely would have held on but an aggressive ball winner protecting the back certainly would have helped today as the red card turned it into a game of attack v defence for the final 20 minutes. 
Positives from todays performance for me were the keeper looks good and isn’t shy on an early release (refreshing after 20 seconds Benji), Fletcher showed he will be a key player for me and hopefully him and Watt can strike up a decent understanding as there were a headers that Fletch won that Watt didn’t read, Levitt scores another cracker and finally despite not being impressed so far I thought Sibbald had a decent game. 
Negatives were Harkes, performance and bookings (thought both were a tad harsh but when on a booking don’t make daft needless fouls) and I thought we were a bit too quick to go ultra negative after the sending off as felt we started the second half better than Killie but after the red card we decided to abandon attacking.