The Dundee United Thread 22/23

The youth system is always pot luck. You're looking at attracting the best kids in the area that haven't been

A. Poached by an English team

B. Poached by Sevtic.

C. Signed by another bigger Scottish Club in the area.

Then hoping they have not only the physical, technical and mental attributes to make it but that they don't end up going out drinking etc and lose interest in playing.

If you get them past that then again your into the A,B and C issue when they get to full time contract age. Then again at the Lewis Neilson stage.

Thats why you only end up with about 3 in a decade who are actually any good and go on to be sold for decent money after about 30 - 40 first team games. All the others are poached for basic compensation / a few hundred K to an English team or get released. 

We were absolutey beyond lucky as f**k in the Gauld era.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

Also, its actually been a very good transfer window so far. Just need a decent sitting / defensive midfielder and we're looking decent imo.

I read elsewhere that the McGrath deal is back on. 

I like that Ross is addressing the absolute lack of attacking threat. Itll probably mean we aren't as tight at the back but we look like a team that would turn some of last seasons draws into wins. 

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Not a bad return on one season. 

Our signing policy probably points to the future strategy.

Academy is an income generator and we will buy/offer decent contracts to mote established pros.

I just don't see the pathway from academy to first team being that productive anymore. 

Don't say I like it but its how i see it 

One Kerr Smith a season would be great.  Unlikely to happen though.  I was hoping that one of Mochrie, Glass, Chalmers or Meekison could become first team regulars but it’s looking less likely.  Hopefully Ross Graham will.

28 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Also, its actually been a very good transfer window so far. Just need a decent sitting / defensive midfielder and we're looking decent imo.

I read elsewhere that the McGrath deal is back on. 

I like that Ross is addressing the absolute lack of attacking threat. Itll probably mean we aren't as tight at the back but we look like a team that would turn some of last seasons draws into wins. 

From Jack Ross’ recent interview he was looking for two attack minded players (he’s since signed one in Middleton), he didn’t say anything about a defensive midfielder which concerns me a bit…

I do hope McGrath is the other attacking player though 

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

One Kerr Smith a season would be great.  Unlikely to happen though.  I was hoping that one of Mochrie, Glass, Chalmers or Meekison could become first team regulars but it’s looking less likely.  Hopefully Ross Graham will.

I think Graham and Meekison will both get a fair bit of game time this season, beyond that I don’t see other youngsters featuring much

9 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

I think Graham and Meekison will both get a fair bit of game time this season, beyond that I don’t see other youngsters featuring much

And if we come 3rd or 4th and win a cup nobody will give a glittery shit!

Well, I won't anyway!

26 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

I believe Rory McLeod has been told he’ll be in the first team squad this season. 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

dont think Ross has any time for the Academy players

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

We were absolutey beyond lucky as f**k in the Gauld era.

I can't imagine players of the pedigree of Souttar or Gauld ever making it into our first team again - certainly not having signed full time contracts and playing regularly. 

The likes of Scott Banks, Kieran Freeman and Harry Souttar get spotted in the youth setups and pinched for nominal fees before playing even a handful of games.

We managed to hold on to Kerr Smith to the grand old age of 16. In his case we got a half decent transfer fee, but only because he'd signed a new contract which was a surprise in itself.

Even Lewis Neilson, who many of us don't really rate decided 18 was old enough for him to move onto a new challenge.

Cudjoe, while not one of our academy boys is already being linked with a move after a couple of pre-season showings!

That's not to say we shouldn't keep trying to produce talent - we absolutely should - just don't expect it to be getting showcased in tangerine for more than a fleeting glimpse.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Wonder if Ross will play Mulgrew in midfield more and have Graham at the back. 

I f**king hope not.

Mulgrew doesn't have the legs for midfield anymore. Sure we've got feck all defensive options really but at least Sibbald can run around.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

And if we come 3rd or 4th and win a cup nobody will give a glittery shit!

Well, I won't anyway!

Yes success is the only real objective.  Mind you more entertaining football, at least on occasion, would be nice.

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Yes success is the only real objective.  Mind you more entertaining football, at least on occasion, would be nice.

I have heard of this being talked about by sages from a bygone era. What is this entertaining football you speak of?

26 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I can't imagine players of the pedigree of Souttar or Gauld ever making it into our first team again - certainly not having signed full time contracts and playing regularly. 

The likes of Scott Banks, Kieran Freeman and Harry Souttar get spotted in the youth setups and pinched for nominal fees before playing even a handful of games.

We managed to hold on to Kerr Smith to the grand old age of 16. In his case we got a half decent transfer fee, but only because he'd signed a new contract which was a surprise in itself.

Even Lewis Neilson, who many of us don't really rate decided 18 was old enough for him to move onto a new challenge.

Cudjoe, while not one of our academy boys is already being linked with a move after a couple of pre-season showings!

That's not to say we shouldn't keep trying to produce talent - we absolutely should - just don't expect it to be getting showcased in tangerine for more than a fleeting glimpse.

Even in the last 10 years football has changed so dramatically at youth level in terms of signing and buying players. Its a business on its own now.

We'd have gotten about £400k for Gauld when he was 16 if we were lucky. 

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I have heard of this being talked about by sages from a bygone era. What is this entertaining football you speak of?

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Even in the last 10 years football has changed so dramatically at youth level in terms of signing and buying players. Its a business on its own now.

We'd have gotten about £400k for Gauld when he was 16 if we were lucky. 

If you remember the Gauld era you will recall entertaining football.  I really enjoyed going to the games at that time.

The Motherwell away game maybe the highlight.

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The Motherwell away game maybe the highlight.

No maybe about it. IMHO the best United performance this century.

Crazy to think though, that that game was just in November. Jackie Mac managed to rip the wheels off the bus in spectacular style over the winter!