The Dundee United Thread 22/23

3 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Using one player as a case to critique our youth system isn't ideal. 

Especially as he's very much a product of the youth system prior to our current owners arrival and their investment in it.

Chalmers leaving would probably be best for both him and the club. I've never been that impressed by Chalmers even in the Championship. Tbf, I did miss most of his apparently promising few games under Mellon before injury knackered his season. However, he increasingly seems to me to be a showpony with very little end product. We need to improve our wide options and he needs regular game time at this point in his career.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Another attacker who is at a decent stage to further improve.

Pace 

Can hit a free kick

Can play in a couple of positions

Good stuff. Must mean the end for Chalmers though?

I think there's still space for Chalmers if he can pull the finger out. I don't expect him to though. Looks like a guy who has relied on good technique coming up through the age groups and completely neglected everything else that's required - hard work, team ethic, concentration, discipline. Not too late for him but I think that point is rapidly approaching.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Chalmers is the same age as Middleton.  Maybe our much vaunted youth development programme isn’t too great.

That's a good point if he's the only guy coming out of the youth development programme. Is he?

Edit: Oh Granny, don't be so sensitive. You're better than that.

Edited by Pull My Strings

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

I think there's still space for Chalmers if he can pull the finger out. I don't expect him to though. Looks like a guy who has relied on good technique coming up through the age groups and completely neglected everything else that's required - hard work, team ethic, concentration, discipline. Not too late for him but I think that point is rapidly approaching.

Couldn't agree with this more, and it pains me to say it as I know someone close to him and apparently he's a top lad. Just missing out on those key ingredients to make him a better player. 

Edited by ArabianKnight

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Chalmers head back to ICT

Probably a good move if hes going to get games. Looks to me like a player with technical ability but not much else tbh.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Chalmers is the same age as Middleton.  Maybe our much vaunted youth development programme isn’t too great.

Not all players coming through are going to be first teamers never mind sellable assets. I do think the Club needs to chill out on this "Academy Graduate" shite though. They should just get on with coaching and bringing them through rather than this self promotion and "look at us, aren't we great" stuff.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Agree fully. I wouldnt be surprised if he went off to a club like Dunfermline / Falkirk / Raith etc for a good few years. A Joe Cardle-esque career.

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Using one player as a case to critique our youth system isn't ideal. 

But he’s not the only one.  Our youth system is OK but the club acts like it’s something special.

33 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Not all players coming through are going to be first teamers never mind sellable assets. I do think the Club needs to chill out on this "Academy Graduate" shite though. They should just get on with coaching and bringing them through rather than this self promotion and "look at us, aren't we great" stuff.

Yip.  Trying to sell something to the fans that is way overhyped.

21 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Cheers big man, all the best @Mark Connollyenjoy your time in Derry. 

18 hours ago, Twinkle said:

@Mark Connolly and the Derry doesnt sit well with me tbh

One Mark Connolly, there's (now) only one Mark Connolly.

I see Declan Glass is away there on a loan as well.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Agree fully. I wouldnt be surprised if he went off to a club like Dunfermline / Falkirk / Raith etc for a good few years. A Joe Cardle-esque career.

Woah hold on here! Super Joe was a  fine player at his peak. Probably one of about 3 pass marks in our last SPL season (2010/11) and a class Championship player.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Woah hold on here! Super Joe was a  fine player at his peak. Probably one of about 3 pass marks in our last SPL season (2010/11) and a class Championship player.

He may well go on to be a superstar for some smaller team but he's not there yet. Needs games. As I said, will probably go on to a career of upper League 1 / mid Championship in which there's no shame in. Unless he signs for Dundee.

Then its  

4133d2cc-4860-4890-a8f9-23b0a01fd47e_text.gif.bf6c41732627d0700ec68c95d0b7660c.gif

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

One Mark Connolly, there's (now) only one Mark Connolly.

I see Declan Glass is away there on a loan as well.

I was hoping we could get Declan on loan and allow him to still train with you lads. I know you've got great options in midfield and will strengthen further but didn't expect him to go out for a season long loan so early in the window.

Reckon Mochrie and Meekison will also be loaned?

Unfortunately the mark of our academy is probably how many players we can punt to England for 6 figures and add ons before 18 with 0-10 appearances rather than producing first team regulars.

If Chalmers, Glass and Mochrie aren't banging on the door this year it likely won't ever happen. 

36 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Unfortunately the mark of our academy is probably how many players we can punt to England for 6 figures and add ons before 18 with 0-10 appearances rather than producing first team regulars.

On that basis Kerr Smith is probably the only ‘success’.  We got money for Jamie Robson and will for Neilson unless we’ve made an arse of the contract offer.  Appere wasn’t an academy graduate so that probably doesn’t count.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

On that basis Kerr Smith is probably the only ‘success’.  We got money for Jamie Robson and will for Neilson unless we’ve made an arse of the contract offer.  Appere wasn’t an academy graduate so that probably doesn’t count.

Not a bad return on one season. 

Our signing policy probably points to the future strategy.

Academy is an income generator and we will buy/offer decent contracts to mote established pros.

I just don't see the pathway from academy to first team being that productive anymore. 

Don't say I like it but its how i see it