The Dundee United Thread 22/23

What can we expect of Shankland then guys? I've never paid too much attention tbh outside that he struggled a bit with the step up to the Premiership and his all round game was a bit lacking, but I also understand Mellon's team were very negative so it's not particularly easy to stand out. Do you think he's a better player than given credit for, or subscribe to the school of thought that he still needs to prove himself at the higher level?
It's hard to tell. He was brilliant in the Championship, but in the Premiership he was playing in an ultra defensive set up which was as far from playing to his strengths as it was possible to be

Shankland is great and the majority of folk who think hes shit are basing it on a poor goals/game record in the top flight, which includes multiple 5 minute appearances for Aberdeen and a season in a defensive United side that barely allowed him to touch the ball in the box.

Id query how we'll he'd work with Boyce as i think they try to do the same things, but Boyce seems fairly injury prone these days.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Id query how we'll he'd work with Boyce as i think they try to do the same things, but Boyce seems fairly injury prone these days.

Not sure where you're getting injury prone from tbh. I know he had previous issues, but since joining Hearts he's had 80 appearances in 2 and a half seasons. And one of those seasons was a seriously curtailed Championship and another was stopped early due to Covid. Boyce will be very much in our plans, but likely play a bit deeper.

Edited by Tony Wonder

9 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Not sure where you're getting injury prone from tbh. I know he had previous issues, but since joining Hearts he's had 80 appearances in 2 and a half seasons. And one of those seasons was a seriously curtailed Championship and another was stopped early due to Covid. Boyce will be very much in our plans, but likely play a bit deeper.

Im convinced someone told me his calves are knackered, but ive no memory of who or when.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Shankland is great and the majority of folk who think hes shit are basing it on a poor goals/game record in the top flight, which includes multiple 5 minute appearances for Aberdeen and a season in a defensive United side that barely allowed him to touch the ball in the box.

Sadly this is all correct.

The five head c**t.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe his 5 in 25 for Beerschot should be part of the discussion? 

35 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Maybe his 5 in 25 for Beerschot should be part of the discussion? 

Do they play a similar style to Hearts? Is the Belgian league the same style? How was he used there?

I DoNt lIkE ForMeR DunDeE UnITeD PlAYErS BEcaUsE iM A DeE thread for this pls.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Do they play a similar style to Hearts? Is the Belgian league the same style? How was he used there?

I DoNt lIkE ForMeR DunDeE UnITeD PlAYErS BEcaUsE iM A DeE thread for this pls.

Aye, silly me for daring to suggest that a player's form at his most recent club is at least worth taking into consideration. 

7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Aye, silly me for daring to suggest that a player's form at his most recent club is at least worth taking into consideration. 

Only if you add context to it though.

He was their third top scorer, and second highest for G+A, despite regularly being shunted around behind Suzuki.

In a struggling shit side he still managed to average a goal every 3 games, based on actual minutes on the field, with a "goal involvement" even better than that.

In a better side and weaker league, chances are he'll improve on that. If Hearts use him as a main striker he'll score more, if they use him deeper he'll create more.

Honestly think folk just decide hes shit and never actually watch him. Theres very few strikers in this division id rather have.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only if you add context to it though.

He was their third top scorer, and second highest for G+A, despite regularly being shunted around behind Suzuki.

In a struggling shit side he still managed to average a goal every 3 games, based on actual minutes on the field, with a "goal involvement" even better than that.

In a better side and weaker league, chances are he'll improve on that. If Hearts use him as a main striker he'll score more, if they use him deeper he'll create more.

Honestly think folk just decide hes shit and never actually watch him. Theres very few strikers in this division id rather have.

Now, if only you'd read my post first before jumping in with both feet and making an erse of yourself.  

2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Now, if only you'd read my post first before jumping in with both feet and making an erse of yourself.  

I did read it. 

You asked if his form there should be part of the discussion so ive added it in.

Clearly you just want to call him shit though, so batter on. Got to earn those precious Dee points.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I did read it. 

You asked if his form there should be part of the discussion so ive added it in.

Clearly you just want to call him shit though, so batter on. Got to earn those precious Dee points.

I asked if his recent form should be taken into account.  If only you'd decided not to post your 1st reply and gone immediately to the 2nd we'd have been cushty.