The Dundee United Thread 22/23

I have always been an advocate for quality over quantity.

Year after year we've signed players to create a heaving squad full of meh!

So I'm genuinely delighted with the approach thus far.

In fact, bring me in just two more quality players to fill the defensive (aggressive) midfielder spot and an attacking(central/right) midfielder and I would be more than happy if that was all the business we did. Albeit, it seems clear they don't much rate Eriksson if they've been chasing Clark.

With Meekison, Glass, Mochrie, Cudjoe, Moore, Fotheringham, MacLeod and others we have plenty of promising kids for backup in the midfield and attacking berths.

And I've never been a fan of loading up with defensive squad players who never get a game. We've got 3 good CBs fighting out for 2 spots (I presume) and plenty of cover in the full back areas.

Drew 1-1 today in a bounce game with Northampton. Nisksanen scored.

Eriksson, Freeman, McMann, Mulgrew, Edwards, Levitt (Graham 45), Smith, Harkes (Glass 45), Macleod, Watt, Niskanen (Mochrie 45)

C886FC66-FA70-4BBF-9751-18E3FCE2D975.jpeg

Edited by Gibby82

24 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Eriksson, Freeman, McMann, Mulgrew, Edwards, Levitt (Graham 45), Smith, Harkes (Glass 45), Macleod, Watt, Niskanen (Mochrie 45)

This the away kit or another training Jersey?

28 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Looks like Cudjoe-Amin also played although not mentioned in the team line up. He's in one of the pictures on Northampton's website.

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

Surely be your away kit. Never seen training gear with main sponsors on it that I can remember?

Happened a couple of years ago if I remmember correctly when the new.kit wasn't announced before the friendlies started. Bit of a recurring theme there.

Not trying to imply you guys don’t know what you are doing financially in the way that the supporters of the smaller Dundee club are insinuating but as a genuine question do you think your board could be looking at the pot the cash the Conference league brings and are making a serious play for 3rd place?

I think the ECL money could be a help to change the status quo in Scottish football if we can continue get clubs directly into the group stages.

6 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Not trying to imply you guys don’t know what you are doing financially in the way that the supporters of the smaller Dundee club are insinuating but as a genuine question do you think your board could be looking at the pot the cash the Conference league brings and are making a serious play for 3rd place?

I think the ECL money could be a help to change the status quo in Scottish football if we can continue get clubs directly into the group stages.

Very doubtful

21 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

No.

Can't be bothered to look it up, but we must be approaching about a 1 in 50 success rate for non-OF Scottish sides making the group stages in Europe by now.

53 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Surely be your away kit. Never seen training gear with main sponsors on it that I can remember?

All our macron train gear going back a few seasons now has had main sponsors embroidered badges etc. 

They have also produced pre-season/bounce game kits

#hugeclub 

156182600572268433-58C0-42C5-A50D-7950F037784F.jpeg

Edited by invergowrie arab

I'd be very surprised if we made the group stages. We'll win one tie, maximum. The final playoff round has the likes of Köln or West Ham. There's no danger we're making it through that without a very favourable draw and lots of luck

Your likely to face a side of Rangers or Celtic type quality in that final leg.

Our aggregate score against Rangers last year was 4-2 defeat W1 D1 L2 so its not mental to think you could scrape a win and a draw.

Celtic was a bit more of a pumping due to our usual once a season collapse to them so 6-2 but still a home and away draw in there.

All that said with a better manager and squad I demand we qualify for the knockouts.

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Already there M9.

F0FA97D7-FF32-4192-AB2D-B85A45665C84.thumb.jpeg.d166d7219ebe6b073f7bd4f3ed9c6df9.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
3 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I'd be very surprised if we made the group stages. We'll win one tie, maximum. The final playoff round has the likes of Köln or West Ham. There's no danger we're making it through that without a very favourable draw and lots of luck

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Your likely to face a side of Rangers or Celtic type quality in that final leg.

Our aggregate score against Rangers last year was 4-2 defeat W1 D1 L2 so its not mental to think you could scrape a win and a draw.

Celtic was a bit more of a pumping due to our usual once a season collapse to them so 6-2 but still a home and away draw in there.

All that said with a better manager and squad I demand we qualify for the knockouts.

Just to be clear I wasn’t meaning qualify this season, I totally forgot you were even in the playoffs for the Conference this year.

I was more meaning aiming to take over Hearts this year with the hope being that Scotlands coefficient continues to be strong enough for 3rd place to at least be guaranteed ECL group stage qualification.  I think if this was the case and if Hearts, or Dundee Utd/anyone else, could take advantage of this they could create a bit of a gap financially to the rest if they finished 3rd a few years in a row.

Edited by Sortmeout

3 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Just to be clear I wasn’t meaning qualify this season, I totally forgot you were even in the playoffs for the Conference this year.

I was more meaning aiming to take over Hearts this year with the hope being that Scotlands coefficient continues to be strong enough for 3rd place to at least be guaranteed ECL group stage qualification.  I think if this was the case and if Hearts, or Dundee Utd/anyone else, could take advantage of this they could create a bit of a gap financially to the rest if they finished 3rd a few years in a row.

To be honest if we aren't I'd be disappointed. Always feel no matter how unlikely, and it is unlikely due to resources, you should aim for 1st as that should mean you get as high as possible. Never feel comfortable seeing folk at clubs saying they are aiming for safety, or top six.

Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts all have greater resources and should be able to offer more wages, but that doesn't mean they can always put together a greater team. Seen it with ourselves, high wages and shite on the park. Hopefully this season we're putting together a good team.

Edited by Tannadeechee
dodgy typing