The Dundee United Thread 22/23

53 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

You love him really. 

I actually don't mind Harkes. There is definitely a player in there, not sure if its a confidence issue, that you start to see him doing well after a few games that things have come off for him. We did miss him when he was injured.

Yeah, fine. I'd have been happy enough if he'd extended in March but to leave it until the last minute and then only add a single year is underwhelming. On the plus side, it's a wee bit of continuity and he'll do an okay job. Against that, he's still got pretty glaring holes in his game and if he kicks on then he'll be away next summer instead on a free. 

We're very short on numbers in midfield though so he's a body in there at least.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

Yeah, fine. I'd have been happy enough if he'd extended in March but to leave it until the last minute and then only add a single year is underwhelming. On the plus side, it's a wee bit of continuity and he'll do an okay job. Against that, he's still got pretty glaring holes in his game and if he kicks on then he'll be away next summer instead on a free. 

We're very short on numbers in midfield though so he's a body in there at least.

Is it not the fact that his wife's contract runs until the end of the comming season with Celtic Ladies. possibly looking to go back to the states. The delay may well be down to the fact Courts left & he wanted to make sure he was happy to work under Ross.

6 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Is it not the fact that his wife's contract runs until the end of the comming season with Celtic Ladies. possibly looking to go back to the states. The delay may well be down to the fact Courts left & he wanted to make sure he was happy to work under Ross.

That's already been suggested.....

2 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Harkes and his Mrs possibly planning to return home next year, so his year matches the end of her contract. 

2 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

I actually don't mind Harkes. There is definitely a player in there, not sure if its a confidence issue, that you start to see him doing well after a few games that things have come off for him. We did miss him when he was injured.

There's not. The fact that you're still waiting for it to materialise after 3 seasons is evidence enough.

His default setting in the middle of the park is... I don't want the ball if there's anyone near me.

Which you could maybe excuse if he was viewed purely as an attacking midfield option that produced output.

But 8 goals and 9 assists in 111 games is, well...

Bored New Year GIF

Edited by ArabFC

Theres definitely a player in there.

Its just not a very good one.

Looks technically good, very athletic, runs around but ultimately does the square root of f**k all other than sideways or back passes.

He'll be OK backup if we sign competent midfielders and this time next season I'm hoping it'll be Meekison or Glass whos stepped to take a first team spot.

Not the signing news I or many folk wanted tbh. Hoping we announce some better players soon.

29 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Aye, that's fine up to a point but the contract's been on the table for months and Courts left about a fortnight ago. If he was genuinely keen to stay then he could have signed long before any question arose as to the head coach. In truth, he seems to have dragged his feet and had a good look around at other options before finally committing to the club and then only for a very short time. I'm underwhelmed.

I think he's entitled to look around.

Maybe TA has said that the deal we've offered will be there, if he can find a better deal then no problem, if not then we'll be happy for him to stay.

However we've not been so open to managers doing the same. The difference being Neilson and Courts were under contract i suppose but still, id have expected the club to tell Harkes to bolt if hes been taking the piss.

3 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Aye, that simple possibility is ignored by some supporters who are complaining about the player showing a lack of commitment. 

Not ignored so much as dismissed. Dreaming up reasons for his lack of commitment doesnt really rebut the suggestion that he isn't particularly committed. Totally his prerogative and I respect that. I'm just not sure he's good enough to be getting excited about him signing a one year deal when he couldn't find a better gig.

Apologies if I’ve said this previously, but a team like United is Harkes level and, equally, a player of Harkes standard is what we can afford.

That said, anyone excited by the signing must be easily satisfied.

8 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I think he's entitled to look around.

Maybe TA has said that the deal we've offered will be there, if he can find a better deal then no problem, if not then we'll be happy for him to stay.

Yep, no argument from me. 

Ive got absolutely no time for Ian Harkes. Bar a couple of goals against the wee team, hes not done enough in his time here to warrant any kind of love from me. If we were looking to kick on this season, these are the type of players we should be upgrading