The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I still refuse to believe he actually exists.

Benji away to Celtic, meh, was pish, improved a great deal but chucked a few in towards the end of last season. I expect The Finn to be the same if not better.

Wishful thinking. There’s a reason Benji got a 4 year deal from Celtic - he’s pretty good.

And yet you expect a keeper you’ve never seen play to be better?

Lets ignore the cap - remember the Japanese lad?

Edited by ArabFC

2 hours ago, BigSash said:

The amount of eejits in our fan base who underestimate the job Harkes does for us is unreal.

Sticks hand up.

Harkes is pish. Fairly confident (hopeful) that Ross will agree.

10 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Wishful thinking. There’s a reason Benji got a 4 year deal from Celtic - he’s pretty good.

I'd never seen the Monk play and I'd say he was better than Benji is. Same with Pernis and possibly Zaluska.

The Japanese lad (while I agree, was absolutely guggit with us) has also played for bigger and better clubs than us for years. 

Benji will play about 10 games in 4 years for them. A decent keeper for sure but when they're looking for Keepers like Joe Hart, Benji hasn't got that kind of high profile or pedigree. If Benji was as good a keeper as some folk claim, he'd certainly not be at Celtic. He'll be a backup keeper they can rely on to cover in the League when the main keeper is out.

If not and he ups his game and plays regularly for them then good on him.

I'd imagine the Finn will be a competent keeper and about the quality of Benji, a very solid Premiership keeper.

30 minutes ago, wardy83 said:
2 hours ago, BigSash said:
The amount of eejits in our fan base who underestimate the job Harkes does for us is unreal.

You are joking? What does he bring to the team? Goals? Assists?

He brings some good honest sideways passing and endless running about with very little end product for the amount of the ball he actually sees.

Nice guy though.

41 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'd never seen the Monk play and I'd say he was better than Benji is. Same with Pernis and possibly Zaluska.

The Japanese lad (while I agree, was absolutely guggit with us) has also played for bigger and better clubs than us for years. 

Benji will play about 10 games in 4 years for them. A decent keeper for sure but when they're looking for Keepers like Joe Hart, Benji hasn't got that kind of high profile or pedigree. If Benji was as good a keeper as some folk claim, he'd certainly not be at Celtic. He'll be a backup keeper they can rely on to cover in the League when the main keeper is out.

If not and he ups his game and plays regularly for them then good on him.

I'd imagine the Finn will be a competent keeper and about the quality of Benji, a very solid Premiership keeper.

Benji was brilliant for us for the last 2 seasons in the Premier, saved us points on numerous occasions, and we’ll absolutely struggle to adequately replace him.

However the same was true of Bain at the Dees before he joined Celtic. Now, he looks like an absolute bomb scare on the rare occasions he sets foot on the pitch because he’s rusty and short of confidence. It’s not terribly difficult to imagine the same thing happening to Benji after a few months of getting splinters from the bench. Remember how poor he was when we first signed him and he couldn’t even establish himself as no.1 above Rakovan? 

Edited by Junior_Arab

6 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Benji was brilliant for us for the last 2 seasons in the Premier, saved us points on numerous occasions, and we’ll absolutely struggle to adequately replace him.

However the same was true of Bain at the Dees before he joined Celtic. Now, he looks like an absolute bomb scare on the rare occasions he sets foot on the pitch because he’s rusty and short of confidence. It’s not terribly difficult to imagine the same thing happening to Benji after a few months of getting splinters from the bench. Remember how poor he was when we first signed him and he couldn’t even establish himself as no.1 above Rakovan? 

5 hours ago, Accent-Unknown said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of Siegrist's old bad habits started to come back after Neil Alexander was sacked. I do think he was massive in Benji's development.

Both points sum it up for me, particularly the bit in bold. However Alexander left with Neilson, he wasn't sacked I dont think?

48 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Both points sum it up for me, particularly the bit in bold. However Alexander left with Neilson, he wasn't sacked I dont think?

Can you change your avatar to this cracker, please?

Screenshot_2022-06-23-08-13-05-48_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.thumb.jpg.3c39cd696c6086cf62c2d8c62ef2b638.jpg

8 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I don't think anyone is claiming CarlJohan Eriksson will be better, he may be just as good, he might not be but his track record and history say he should be a decent keeper.

There does seem to be an amazing amount of wind and pish that has been spouted about him though. We've heard so far

We've signed a dud

There are reasons he isn't playing

United are trying to offload him already

Remember the Japanese lad

Easy to answer those. Yes there is a reason he hasn't played, it's because Benji was here. We expected bids for Benji last summer hence Carson signing. We knew Benji wouldn't stay, so we signed one of the top performing keepers from Sweden's top league, a current Finalnd  squad member to settle in, play understudy to take over when the top spot was vacated.

Lost count of the number of players over the years that have similar "in the know" stories put out, that they are poor, Not up to the job when no one has seen them play.

He might be good, he might be great, he might be rubbish, can he be seen playing before he is written off?

Now not saying that's exactly what your doing, but your post allowed me mention a frustration I have over some of the. Comments about players we sign & how it seems to spread with no qualifying additional info to support it.