The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Neilson signs Neilson for Hertz.

Meh.

Graham is the one we'll make real dosh from if any of the current crop. Don't grudge Neilson the move, more cash etc etc. 

Big unit, looks comfortable with the ball at his feet but was rather slow and I was never convinced in his defensive ability. Mind you he's a young guy and will get better with age. 

No big loss though imo.

17 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Ian Bowyer? Can't recall that at all.

The only reference I can see online is in an article about Luggy signing someone for St Johnstone in 1997, which would suggest he was there when Jim was still the manager.

However, he was tipped off about Andersson by his former coaching friend at Dundee United, Ian Bowyer, who is now at Birmingham City, where Andersson recently failed to earn a contract, but impressed him.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12284351.sturrock-signs-a-swedish-striker-after-second-thoughts/

9 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

He'd be absolutely stupid to not take the Rijeka gig.

Aye, likely once in a lifetime opportunity that.

Fair fucks to him for the past year, I thought he'd be an absolute disaster.

Listening to Sportscene and they're slavering away how Rijeka are playing at a far higher level than United.

They finished 4th in the Croatian league and therefore could play us if they win through in the ECL - so in a lower rated league and their average home attendance last year was 3,587.

🤷‍♂️

Anyway, not really all that bothered, though would be fearful of who they brought in next.

Edited by ArabFC

Found this online:

English is highly common to find spoken in Croatia. Polls show that 65% of the population speaks English as a foreign language with 80% of the population being bilingual in general. This means that at least one out of every two people you meet in Croatia is likely to speak English.

I wonder how many will understand oor Tam.

I'm not convinced this would be a great move for Tam. Less successful club with a smaller fanbase, smaller stadium, less successful league, foreign language, little to no knowledge of the scene (I imagine) after only one season as a professional manager. Not convinced it's a step up and it's a risk moving there from what is a favourable set up currently.

Against that, Rejika seem to be an improving club and the city looks lovely. They may well pay very good wages. From a personal perspective it might be a great lifestyle; professionally it could all go wrong very quickly.

Good luck to him if he goes though. Seems like a good guy.

Good move for the club tbh if it happens and like a few rival fans cant see him lasting over there. I still think there was some good fortune down to implosions at rival clubs hibs and Aberdeen that allowed the 4th place finish to gloss over some of the dross he served up but also gladly took the finish :D 

Edited by GFARAB82