The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

I would be keen to get Neilson signed up.  He's only 19 and clearly has footballing ability.  I dont think he has been managed particularly well and has probably suffered from being shunted around a couple of positions.

I see parallels between him and John Souttar - both came into the side young in one of the most difficult positions for youngsters to play, both decent on the ball which leads them to being asked to cover other positions, both suffer bad injuries at a young age.  Would hope that we learn from mistakes from Souttar, especially as Neilson has Edwards and Mulgrew to learn from whereas, in his last season, Souttar was playing with Calum Morris and Coll Donaldson.

No, nah, not even remotely fcuking close.

Souttar was on a completely different level to Neilson in terms of ability on the ball and the only real issue he had as a kid was his lack of physicality - which was only natural given he was starting games soon after turning 16.

Neilson on the other hand has just turned 19 and already seems... slow. Not necessarily in a pace aspect, but in how he turns, how he reacts.

I'm sure most will think I'm being overly critical, but I just don't see him becoming a regular starter at this level.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

No, nah, not even remotely fcuking close.

Souttar was on a completely different level to Neilson in terms of ability on the ball and the only real issue he had as a kid was his lack of physicality - which was only natural given he was starting games soon after turning 16.

Neilson on the other hand has just turned 19 and already seems... slow. Not necessarily in a pace aspect, but in how he turns, how he reacts.

I'm sure most will think I'm being overly critical, but I just don't see him becoming a regular starter at this level.

You might be right about him being a bit slow but I would put that down to a lack of sharpness due to lack of game time. He's definitely got ability and he is still not properly recovered from a serious injury. 

Definitely worth keeping rather than bringing in someone else for defensive cover. 

I actually think he'll end up playing DM more than CB as he's decent on the ball and highly thought of at the academy, it was more a board decision as an offer came in. 

Lad might fancy getting picked up by a team down south so won't sign though. 

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Definitely worth keeping rather than bringing in someone else for defensive cover. 

I actually think he'll end up playing DM more than CB as he's decent on the ball and highly thought of at the academy, it was more a board decision as an offer came in. 

I've got no issue with keeping him on. Makes sense to keep hold of a kid who has shown he can cover and hell, I might be proven wrong - kids develop at different rates and times.

I'll never quite understand why being "decent on the ball" is a reason to move somebody into midfield though. Being decent on the ball should be a prerequisite for anyone in the modern game,.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

I've got no issue with keeping him on. Makes sense to keep hold of a kid who has shown he can cover and hell, I might be proven wrong - kids develop at different rates and times.

I'll never quite understand why being "decent on the ball" is a reason to move somebody into midfield though. Being decent on the ball should be a prerequisite for anyone in the modern game,.

The bottom bit I'm absolutely in agreement with. I should probably clarify, afaik he's played a fair amount of time in midfield at unders level which is why he's viewed as so versatile by the club. 

Think we're just debating finer points here.

Kid has massive potential to be a decent scottish premier league defender with an element of being possibly able to go higher. 

Technically decent, decent at defending, good awareness and passing range. I don't think he's quite as far as Graham (who's got 2 years on him) but I definitely don't think he's far behind and Ross has had great reviews since he's came in. 

8 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Dundee midfielder. 

Don’t know much about him but his stats for the Premiership are not great.  I would only want him if the Dundee fans think he’s shite.

11 hours ago, Aladdin said:

I would be keen to get Neilson signed up.  He's only 19 and clearly has footballing ability.  I dont think he has been managed particularly well and has probably suffered from being shunted around a couple of positions.

I see parallels between him and John Souttar - both came into the side young in one of the most difficult positions for youngsters to play, both decent on the ball which leads them to being asked to cover other positions, both suffer bad injuries at a young age.  Would hope that we learn from mistakes from Souttar, especially as Neilson has Edwards and Mulgrew to learn from whereas, in his last season, Souttar was playing with Calum Morris and Coll Donaldson.

Yeah learn from mistakes like pissing their parents off.

On 18/05/2022 at 18:51, ArabianKnight said:

Anderson. Almost definite

Out of interest, how is this going to happen when he is under contract for another year with us? 

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

24 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Development fee. Job done. 

Aren't development fees only relevant when said player is out of contract? I could totally be wrong about this tbf.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

27 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Aren't development fees only relevant when said player is out of contract? I could totally be wrong about this tbf.

Aye. They only come into play if the player is out of contract but equally you can probably use it as a guide for a fee.

It really depends on whether the player has indicated an inclination to sign a new contract.

We had a situation a couple of years ago where Norwich had approached us about Reece McAlear. We were keen to keep hold of him but he basically told us he'd no real intention of signing a new deal when the current one expired so we just took the money which I'd imagine had been worked out at what we'd have been owed as a development fee when his deal had ended plus some add ons.

“We had high hopes for Reece. He was getting closer and closer and indeed, played several first-team friendly matches during pre-season. We had positive conversations with the player, his family and his representatives about extending his stay.

“However, it was clear this was an opportunity Reece wanted to explore and probably would’ve explored, when his contract expired at the end of the season, had we not managed to agree a deal with Norwich now.

“This will see the club secure cash in advance, as well as maintaining some economic rights should his career continue to develop."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye. They only come into play if the player is out of contract but equally you can probably use it as a guide for a fee.

It really depends on whether the player has indicated an inclination to sign a new contract.

We had a situation a couple of years ago where Norwich (and possibly other clubs) had approached us about Reece McAlear. We were keen to keep hold of him but he basically told us he'd no real intention of signing a new deal when the current one expired so we just took the money which I'd imagine had been worked out at what we'd have been owed as a development fee when his deal had ended plus some add ons.

How long did he have left on his contract? Anderson has another year to go.

1 minute ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

How long did he have left on his contract? Anderson has another year to go.

A year.

Although having said that, McAlear was far younger than Anderson.

McAlear was 17, Anderson's 21 right?

Edited by capt_oats

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

A year.

Although having said that, McAlear was far younger than Anderson.

McAlear was 17, Anderson's 21 right?

Yeah. Was McAlear on a fully professional contract or a youth contract?

Edited by RossBFaeDundee