The Dundee United Thread 22/23

48 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

I agree with this (although it appears to be a rather unpopular opinion amongst Arabs) but, as you say, we see it very rarely and the formation/style that we play really does not suit him.  If he was playing up-front in a two with a Jon Daly type number 9 I'm sure he would have scored a lot more goals for us. 

As we have Watt signed up for the next couple of years, there is just no room for McNulty (unless he is willing to take a squad player wage...).  

If we can't find a player that is an improvement on McNulty then we need to sack our scouts.  Talking of which, I miss the days of our scouts digging up proper random players that I had never heard of - bring on the next Prince Buaben or Fran Sandaza...

I'd be disappointed if Harkes left - when Levitt goes back to Man U (and let's not kid ourselves - he is going to have offers from a host of teams that can pay a lot more than us) our midfield is going to be very, very light in terms of creativity - especially with Pawlett out long-term.  

The first sentence is absolutely correct - he is the current scapegoat (it moves quarter by quarter) and is almost certainly not as bad as some of us Arabs make out.  We were far more patient with the likes of Sporle, who produced even less even more infrequently.

The second sentence may well be correct - but we have never seen him playing full of confidence.  The closest I can think of was at home to Killie late last season - he was our best player that night, and that is likely the reason we brought him back this season. 

The third sentence may well also be correct - but if we can't, that's more of an indictment on our dreadful scouting network than it is confirmation that McNulty is good...

Nicky Clark gets far too much stick on here, in my eyes - the guy has 40 goals for us.  At 30 he certainly isn't getting any quicker, but he has been a very consistent performer for us and is more than good enough for our squad.  If he goes in the summer it will cost a lot to replace him.

We are an odd bunch, us Arabs, what else can I say?  We hate Pawlett and Harkes - then we love them - then we hate them etc. 

And, in relation to McNulty, we have very short memories - not so long ago we had the likes of Craig Curran up top..

Firstly, i was talking about Harkes, not McNulty, but I do still agree with you. If we can't find someone better than him then we're in trouble. Christ, Simon Murray was a better run-abouter than McNulty. 

Secondly, Clark isn't very good but has been shunted about all over the place and been part of some of the most creatively bereft United teams I've ever seen. His record is OK but he's a poacher and should be in the box, not a creative player. IMO.

Thirdly, ill have you know ive always hated Harkes!

Finally, ill see your Craig Curran and raise you a Patrick N'Koyi.

11 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Firstly, i was talking about Harkes, not McNulty, but I do still agree with you. If we can't find someone better than him then we're in trouble. Christ, Simon Murray was a better run-abouter than McNulty. 

Secondly, Clark isn't very good but has been shunted about all over the place and been part of some of the most creatively bereft United teams I've ever seen. His record is OK but he's a poacher and should be in the box, not a creative player. IMO.

A front 3 of Roy O'DOnovan, Robbie Muirhead and Darko Bodul for me, please

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

My mistake, I thought you were talking about McNulty - but, as you say, the point stands for both of them.  They're decent players at this level, but nothing more - and as our wage bill is already utterly ridiculous, we simply are not in a position to pay big wages to buys that are not exceptional (for what its worth, at the start of this season I thought Harkes was tremendous - and well worthy of his player of the month award when it came - but after that he has faded quite badly and looks a bit lost without Fuchs sitting in next to him).

I think that's quite harsh on Clark - he's managed a lot of goals from not a lot of chances.  I don't think he'll start many games next season, but has already shown that he is a very effective substitute and I would definitely keep him around.

I honestly can't even picture N'Koyi - maybe some sort of PTSD response where I have just blanked it from my mind...

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

A front 3 of Roy O'DOnovan, Robbie Muirhead and Darko Bodul for me, please

I'll not hear a bad word said of Roy O'Donovan after his goal against St Mirren for the late Eddie Thompson!  Huge deflection, right enough, but absolute scenes when it dropped in...

10 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

My mistake, I thought you were talking about McNulty - but, as you say, the point stands for both of them.  They're decent players at this level, but nothing more - and as our wage bill is already utterly ridiculous, we simply are not in a position to pay big wages to buys that are not exceptional (for what its worth, at the start of this season I thought Harkes was tremendous - and well worthy of his player of the month award when it came - but after that he has faded quite badly and looks a bit lost without Fuchs sitting in next to him).

I think that's quite harsh on Clark - he's managed a lot of goals from not a lot of chances.  I don't think he'll start many games next season, but has already shown that he is a very effective substitute and I would definitely keep him around.

I honestly can't even picture N'Koyi - maybe some sort of PTSD response where I have just blanked it from my mind...

I'll not hear a bad word said of Roy O'Donovan after his goal against St Mirren for the late Eddie Thompson!  Huge deflection, right enough, but absolute scenes when it dropped in...

Solid and strong. Really shite in the air. Really shite on the deck. Just really shite. Congolese guy who Ray brought in.

Same team as Jordie Briels, Paul Quinn, Toshney, Craig Slater and Billy King.

19 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Solid and strong. Really shite in the air. Really shite on the deck. Just really shite. Congolese guy who Ray brought in.

Same team as Jordie Briels, Paul Quinn, Toshney, Craig Slater and Billy King.

I've never seen a professional player struggle as much as N'Koyi despite clearly trying so very hard.

Tbf wasn't Briels alright but just really injury prone? We have had so much dross in midfield in the last 6/7 years. Even the likes of Aaron Kuhl probably doesn't make a modern worst United XI, and he was bloody dreadful.

Paul Quinn however was immediately one of the first names I thought of for a worst XI.

This “which was our worst XI?” is an exercise in masochism that I have no desire to be part of.

I’m depressed enough about United and that’s despite being fourth with a chance of qualifying for Europe next season.

Mind we started the season with Adam Barton and Christoph Rabitsch in midfield. Less than four years ago, incredible. Those years all kind of blend into one bad trip but think it was Csaba’s team.

Genuinely have no recollection of Patrick N’Koyi.

1 hour ago, captainkev said:

I've never seen a professional player struggle as much as N'Koyi despite clearly trying so very hard.

Tbf wasn't Briels alright but just really injury prone? We have had so much dross in midfield in the last 6/7 years. Even the likes of Aaron Kuhl probably doesn't make a modern worst United XI, and he was bloody dreadful.

Paul Quinn however was immediately one of the first names I thought of for a worst XI.

I thought Briels was shite till I realised I was confusing him with Rabitsch who I'd forgotten about till @Gibby82 mentioned him. Briels was the almost decent one that was injury prone right enough.

Paul Quinn and Donaldson would be my worst ever centre half pairing in semi recent history.

Centre Midfield of Aaron Khul and Adam Barton.

Front line as stated earlier.

f**k it, here goes. Its a 3 4 3 to fit in the best of the worst imo.

Rankovan

Donaldson Edgengule Quinn  

B. King  Barton  Khul   Riski

Pongolle N'Koyi Lying 

Subs

Lewis

Durnan

A. Nesbitt

C. Curran

Rabitsch

Matty Smith

Fraser Aird

That team would get horsed by an under 13s 5-a-side team.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

10 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Rankovan

Pongolle N'Koyi Lying 

I kinda liked Edjenguélé - has a bit of the Chiellini in him. Not in ability obviously, but in the, "you're going fucking nowhere laddy" aspect of the game.

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

I kinda liked Edjenguélé - has a bit of the Chiellini in him. Not in ability obviously, but in the, "you're going fucking nowhere laddy" aspect of the game.

Thats what I hated about him tbh 😂

His insistence on dry humping opposition players at set pieces used to boil my piss. He seemed to get away with it somehow.

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I thought Briels was shite till I realised I was confusing him with Rabitsch who I'd forgotten about till @Gibby82 mentioned him. Briels was the almost decent one that was injury prone right enough.

Paul Quinn and Donaldson would be my worst ever centre half pairing in semi recent history.

Centre Midfield of Aaron Khul and Adam Barton.

Front line as stated earlier.

Rankovan

Pongolle N'Koyi Lying 

Subs

Lewis

Durnan

A. Nesbitt

C. Curran

Rabitsch

Matty Smith

Fraser Aird

That team would get horsed by an under 13s 5-a-side team.

Matty Smith's an odd one. I remember he got chucked in for a fair bit of the remaining post relegation/Mixu games and looked a really bright prospect. But after relegation there was never any real sign of potential again. Stories of Laszlo's inspired coaching obviously didn't help either in fairness.

I didn't think The Edge was that bad though. Certainly better than Quinn or Donaldson. Had more than a few good games for us with the odd howling performance every now and then. Neilson never trusted him again after that 5-0 Ayr United game though.

Although I never saw him play myself, Yannick Loemba must be in with a shout for this team for putting the ball out of the stadium when shooting into the Eddie Thompson end?

Edited by captainkev