The Dundee United Thread 22/23

5 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Folk seriously suggesting they wouldn't take Shankland? Wild!

Nobody’s suggesting that as well you know.  People are rightly saying that we have greater need for players who can service the strikers than we do for another striker.

I would have had Shankland before Watt.

Nobody’s suggesting that as well you know.  People are rightly saying that we have greater need for players who can service the strikers than we do for another striker.
I would have had Shankland before Watt.
yep what's the point in paying large wages for shankland when nobody can provide the ball for him

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

You say that, but...

5 hours ago, dundeeunited83 said:

He would make no difference to this team 

1 hour ago, Baldie1980 said:

yep what's the point in paying large wages for shankland when nobody can provide the ball for him

It’s all well and good wanting a winger in, and I agree we need one, two, maybe even three. Remember though that odds are whoever we’ll bring in will be meh - and if you disagree, I’ll compile a list of all the wide/attacking midfielders we’ve signed over recent years that’ll make you greet!

If Shankland was available we’d be fools not to snap him up - a proven asset.

Anyway - plenty of players we could/should dispense with to free up space.

Edited by ArabFC

One benefit of bringing in another striker, especially Shankland, who works hard off the ball, is that a dangerous forward line may force teams to drop a bit deeper and allow our midfield a bit more space to work in.

Similar to when we had the Armstrong, GMS, Gauld, Ciftci front line, teams were scared about leaving space at the back so dropped deeper, which had the illusionary effect of making the Paton/Rankin engine room look like Xavi and Iniesta.  Once teams worked out you could bully the younger players and shut them down, they stopped being so worried and we saw the Pates and Ranks combo for what it was, which wasnt particularly good.

Shankland and McNulty, for their faults, are streetwise enough to cope with those tactics.  Hopefully Watt would be too which could improve the players behind them.

I don't think we are far away, I really don't. Signing a decent attacking midfielder/winger would go a long way, but the trick is finding one within our price range. As for the manager...I like him, but our recent record is utterly abject and I am not convinced he knows how to turn it around.

I'm not sure we even need much more in the way of personnel. Speeding up the tempo of the passing and getting the full backs going forward again would go a long way to sorting things out. Easier said than done of course but it seems to me that it's the style of play which is letting us down just now rather than the players available.

It's like the team spend all week practising particular passing moves and then don't know what to do when the opposition shut down those patterns of play so it just goes round and round the defence and midfield before being lost or launched forward. It's a familiar failing of teams who want to constantly pass the ball and don't have a Plan B when it doesn't work. Csaba's teams were much the same. 

6 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I'm not sure we even need much more in the way of personnel. Speeding up the tempo of the passing and getting the full backs going forward again would go a long way to sorting things out. Easier said than done of course but it seems to me that it's the style of play which is letting us down just now rather than the players available.

It's like the team spend all week practising particular passing moves and then don't know what to do when the opposition shut down those patterns of play so it just goes round and round the defence and midfield before being lost or launched forward. It's a familiar failing of teams who want to constantly pass the ball and don't have a Plan B when it doesn't work. Csaba's teams were much the same. 

We've improved the team since the away game to Hibs when we were excellent (Levitt didn't play that day and now we have Watt).  The performances since are down to the manager and his inability to keep us playing a certain way.  Really no obvious reason why we have gone backwards so quickly.  I think he realised after Tynecastle that we are too open and he simply doesn't know how to sort that and keep us competitive at the other end.  We've got a dud I'm afraid.

9 minutes ago, Finn Seemann said:

We've improved the team since the away game to Hibs when we were excellent (Levitt didn't play that day and now we have Watt).  The performances since are down to the manager and his inability to keep us playing a certain way.  Really no obvious reason why we have gone backwards so quickly.  I think he realised after Tynecastle that we are too open and he simply doesn't know how to sort that and keep us competitive at the other end.  We've got a dud I'm afraid.

Ach maybe, or we've got a young guy inexperienced at this level who needs to find answers ASAP. Plenty of decent managers have gone on bad runs. The test is whether they can turn it around. I'm 50:50 on him currently.

Going by the story in the Courier really wouldn't surprised to some of the younger lads going out on loan with a couple players coming in. 

Hoti and Chalmers look set to go out on loan and I would think one of Mochrie and Watson would be away somewhere to get game time. 

Definitely need another CB in with a bit of experience. 

Another winger wouldn't go amiss but if and it's a big if Shankland comes back a front 3 of Watt Shankland and McNulty would provide a bit of width up front along with the full backs pushing up. 

Then the question is who would you put behind them in the midfield 3?

Fuchs Levitt and Harkes? 

42 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Ach maybe, or we've got a young guy inexperienced at this level who needs to find answers ASAP. Plenty of decent managers have gone on bad runs. The test is whether they can turn it around. I'm 50:50 on him currently.

I think that is fair enough, but I am slightly more glass half empty.  I have no confidence in Asghar and when he handed the role to Courts after bullsh1tting about a thorough process I assumed the worst.  I don't get to many games so when I went to Easter Road I was expecting to see a lesser version of the usual United performances there (i.e. huff and puff and come away with a draw at best).  We were absolutely fantastic.  Totally bossed the game and could have won by more.  Even in the heady days of the 80s and 90s when Hibs were sh1te we never played that well at Easter Road.  I genuinely thought we'd hit the jackpot with Courts - talks mince but gets the players and able to get them to do what he wants them to do on the pitch.  Even at Tynecastle (I am Edinburgh based!) I thought you could still see we were playing good football but were too open for a v good Hearts side - I thought that was forgivable.  I thought he'd take a look at that and sort it out.

Moving on to where we are now.  After a second round of fixtures (nearly) we seem to have been figured out.  We don't seem to have any plan or structure any more.  The players who were executing the plan perfectly seem to not know what the plan is.  Courts continues to talk mince, but it is even more deluded mince as it doesn't seem to reflect what everyone else can see on the park.  He doesn't appear to know what our best team is and doesn't appear to know the limitations of some of our players and the best attributes of others.  

I don't know where he goes from here - there was always going to be a sticky spell and the real test of him was how he handled that.  He appears to be handling it badly, very badly.  We can't afford shocking halves of football like Tuesday.  My initial fears have proven true after all - Courts appears not to have the knowhow to dig us out of this.  Flowery platitudes are fine when the team are getting results, but I don't see the necessary bottle and straight talking needed to turn this dressing room around.  We've gone from likely over-inflated hopes of European football to the stark reality of an impending dogfight with Saints and the Fun to survive.  That is simply not good enough for the vision that Ogren has been sold.  I'm hoping I'm wrong but I don't see him turning it around.  We are then in a really tough place.  Asghar will scare off any decent manager and we'll be left with another internal or a left-field who doesn't know the scottish game.  At some point Ogren has to see that most of what he has been told is bull.

I think that is fair enough, but I am slightly more glass half empty.  I have no confidence in Asghar and when he handed the role to Courts after bullsh1tting about a thorough process I assumed the worst.  I don't get to many games so when I went to Easter Road I was expecting to see a lesser version of the usual United performances there (i.e. huff and puff and come away with a draw at best).  We were absolutely fantastic.  Totally bossed the game and could have won by more.  Even in the heady days of the 80s and 90s when Hibs were sh1te we never played that well at Easter Road.  I genuinely thought we'd hit the jackpot with Courts - talks mince but gets the players and able to get them to do what he wants them to do on the pitch.  Even at Tynecastle (I am Edinburgh based!) I thought you could still see we were playing good football but were too open for a v good Hearts side - I thought that was forgivable.  I thought he'd take a look at that and sort it out.
Moving on to where we are now.  After a second round of fixtures (nearly) we seem to have been figured out.  We don't seem to have any plan or structure any more.  The players who were executing the plan perfectly seem to not know what the plan is.  Courts continues to talk mince, but it is even more deluded mince as it doesn't seem to reflect what everyone else can see on the park.  He doesn't appear to know what our best team is and doesn't appear to know the limitations of some of our players and the best attributes of others.  
I don't know where he goes from here - there was always going to be a sticky spell and the real test of him was how he handled that.  He appears to be handling it badly, very badly.  We can't afford shocking halves of football like Tuesday.  My initial fears have proven true after all - Courts appears not to have the knowhow to dig us out of this.  Flowery platitudes are fine when the team are getting results, but I don't see the necessary bottle and straight talking needed to turn this dressing room around.  We've gone from likely over-inflated hopes of European football to the stark reality of an impending dogfight with Saints and the Fun to survive.  That is simply not good enough for the vision that Ogren has been sold.  I'm hoping I'm wrong but I don't see him turning it around.  We are then in a really tough place.  Asghar will scare off any decent manager and we'll be left with another internal or a left-field who doesn't know the scottish game.  At some point Ogren has to see that most of what he has been told is bull.

Surely you were expecting to be in a relegation battle this season? The fact he had the team picking up so many points in the first half should give him enough credit to last the season. Surely with being 9 points off the play off place you can’t be asking for him to be sacked. He has only been in the job for half a season. Football fans are fickle as f**k

14 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Surely you were expecting to be in a relegation battle this season? The fact he had the team picking up so many points in the first half should give him enough credit to last the season. Surely with being 9 points off the play off place you can’t be asking for him to be sacked. He has only been in the job for half a season. Football fans are fickle as f**k

I'm agreeing with that mostly, but as one of the few who was open minded about Courts, I expected another season mid table mediocrity. Over the season, that's where we presently are, but the last six games have been alarming, and even the six before them there were long periods in matches where we looked a bit clueless.

He has credit with me, as has Asghar, for without him we may still have been stuck with Stephen Thompson, and by now down beside Falkirk at the third level...... <<<<<< perhaps an exaggeration, but it appears to me that some fans can't wait to stick a knife in to Courts and by association Asghar.

Having written this, Courts clearly has to turn things around, as a continuing losing run would become untenable for him.

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

I genuinely didn't expect at the end of last season to be in a relegation battle this season.  Why would be?  When Mellon was despatched and Courts hired I had my fears and after the first Aberdeen game I was more concerned, but the reality is that with our resources we shouldn't be relegation fodder.  We should finish in the top 6.  I also have an eye on what Ogren has been told as if he pulls the plug (as he just did with his golf development) then we are well and truly screwed.

I'm not asking for him to be sacked, but I am not sure he is going to turn it around so it becomes a timing game.  Let's hope the results pick up.  I'd also love to be giving managers 3 or 4 seasons to grow, but we don't live in those times.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'm agreeing with that mostly, but as one of the few who was open minded about Courts, I expected another season mid table mediocrity. Over the season, that's where we presently are, but the last six games have been alarming, and even the six before them there were long periods in matches where we looked a bit clueless.

He has credit with me, as has Asghar, for without him we may still have been stuck with Stephen Thompson, and by now down beside Falkirk at the third level...... <<<<<< perhaps an exaggeration, but it appears to me that some fans can't wait to stick a knife in to Courts and by association Asghar.

Having written this, Courts clearly has to turn things around, as a continuing losing run would become untenable for him.

Afraid I don't see Asghar as the messiah, precisely the opposite. 

2 hours ago, Aufc said:

Surely you were expecting to be in a relegation battle this season?

Based on what exactly? Probably in the running for worst take of 2022 and its only January