The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Was ridiculous to start a centre back with about 5 full appearances at right back ahead of an actual right back who gets forward really well against st Mirren at home.

Also, sign the top scorer in the league, leave him on the bench for an hour then bring him on on the left wing!

Finally, Glass, our one player who can go past opponents and occasionally create something is left on the bench until 5 minutes to go whilst Pawlett does his usual pish.

Tam you are probably a defeat to Killie on Saturday away from the fans turning on you.

We're being a bit harsh here. Almost a year ago St Mirren pumped us 1-5 at Tannadice, tonight we've 'improved' to 1-2.

I was unflurried about whether Courts was appointed or not, but I'm having serious doubts now. Team selection was puzzling, the lack of urgency obvious, and it seems other managers have sussed him out. First win in a dozen for St Mirren, and from the start they looked like they knew they'd get it. We're in a relegation battle right enough.

For Killie I'd go

Son of Erik

Freeman Edwards Mulgrew McMann 

Fuchs

Levitt       Glass

Watson   Watt  Niskanen 

Get the full backs forward, Levitt pulling the strings and let Glass get forward. Fuchs just win the ball and move it on. Stretch Killie with as much pace out wide as possible. 

I’m not advocating sacking Courts just yet, and I say that as someone who was dead set against his appointment in the first place. 

But if we wait a few weeks and another struggling team blinks first the chances are they’ll appoint Jack Ross who would be my first choice. If we move a couple of weeks later and we may be looking at choosing from the usual suspects bargain bin / merry-go-round. 

Edited by Junior_Arab

6 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

I’m not advocating sacking Courts just yet, and I say that as someone who was dead set against his appointment in the first place. 

But if we wait a few weeks and another struggling team blinks first the chances are they’ll appoint Jack Ross who would be my first choice. If we move a couple of weeks later and we may be looking at choosing from the usual suspects bargain bin / merry-go-round. 

No danger does Tony appoint an experienced manager. Imo of course.

6 hours ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Honestly can’t make my mind up wee that laddie tbh, however would be interested to see him giving a run, cannot be worse than what shite is playing atm 

Aye? Just recently motm v Livingston. That goal v Hibs.

When he gets the ball he shows more willing to get forward than all the other midfielders.

Just my opinion of course. 

Id happily see Asghar and chums ushered out the door pronto. But its not happening. 
Why is Freeman not starting? 
Why did Watt not start? Hes on fire and we've splashed big money on him. 
Get McNulty away to feck. Hes been rubbish for us, why start him over Watt?
Guys like Harkes and Pawlett have been, in the main, fucking stinking for us since day 1 bar a couple of purple patches. Get them out and bring in the young guys. Even drop one of them and give someone else a go.
watt won't help you on his own,you need your whole team to start trying

Did Watt not play inside right for Motherwell? If so, no problem with him starting there for us ahead of Pawlett but McNulty doesn't look like he is ever going to score, although a couple of decent performances at the start of the season maybe buys him one or two more opportunities after injury.

Niskanen has been off the boil for a while but we aren't exactly overflowing with wide players to replace him.

1 hour ago, Baldie1980 said:
9 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:
Id happily see Asghar and chums ushered out the door pronto. But its not happening. 
Why is Freeman not starting? 
Why did Watt not start? Hes on fire and we've splashed big money on him. 
Get McNulty away to feck. Hes been rubbish for us, why start him over Watt?
Guys like Harkes and Pawlett have been, in the main, fucking stinking for us since day 1 bar a couple of purple patches. Get them out and bring in the young guys. Even drop one of them and give someone else a go.

watt won't help you on his own,you need your whole team to start trying

Its not so much that he'd change the game single handedly its the fact that he's fit, on form and cost a load of cash. A big marquee signing. Yet he sits on the bench for a guy who's been terrible for us, been out for months and strolled into the team ahead of Watt and the ever present Nicky Clark. 

Had Clark started id have said fair enough as hes been playing every game and its been his position. Even though he's been poor he's been playing.

Actually, what we should have done is played Watt and Clark up front and revolutionised football itself. You know, attack when playing at home, needing a win etc. Maybe that kind of formation hasn't been installed on the Inspiron in the office.

Eta i don't even think Watt will make a significant difference over the piece as we are really don't create much anyway.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

48 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Did Watt not play inside right for Motherwell? If so, no problem with him starting there for us ahead of Pawlett but McNulty doesn't look like he is ever going to score, although a couple of decent performances at the start of the season maybe buys him one or two more opportunities after injury.

Niskanen has been off the boil for a while but we aren't exactly overflowing with wide players to replace him.

He tended to play on the left with an occasional foray into the middle.

Agree with most of the comments above. On the Niskanen comment about being "off the boil", is he or is he struggling with Court's change of tactics from attacking at pace into space to slower than walking football? Any game we've seen him do well in, we have played at pace and allowed him to run into space, we saw that with the McNulty breaak just before he was subbbed for Watt.

To be fair he isn't the only one that's struggling with these tactics. Just look at the difference between the way St. Mirren attacked, at pace, stretching us, and we did, slow side to side, backwards, waiting until the space was gone and St. Mirren all back in position.

The difference in performance once the speed was up and Sheep was on was night and day, although we STILL struggled with Edwards & Mulgrew slowing the play down, ignoring players in space to pass to someone surrounded by defenders at times.

One thing that worries me is this is the same style of play we played against Aberdeen on the opening day of the season, and EVERY game since the Hearts loss. We've lost every one. Is this Court's preferred style of play & he won't change, because it sure as hell looks like its under instruction, play it safe etc. At no time in these games have we looked like a team trying to win.

Also I note Court's comments after last nights game...

“We are closer to getting to know the players that are in-form and can actually get us that win.”

Really? Everyone else in the stands could have told you weeks ago!

Edited by Tannadeechee

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Eta i don't even think Watt will make a significant difference over the piece as we are really don't create much anyway.

This for me. Argued with many United fans about this point. "We need a striker" is the mantra, why? What good are they going to do with the current tactics? Doesn't matter who is playing up front if they never get the ball! We need a creative player and a tactics change.

Edited by Tannadeechee

9 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

For Killie I'd go

Son of Erik

Freeman Edwards Mulgrew McMann 

Fuchs

Levitt       Glass

Watson   Watt  Niskanen 

Get the full backs forward, Levitt pulling the strings and let Glass get forward. Fuchs just win the ball and move it on. Stretch Killie with as much pace out wide as possible. 

Fuchs looked totally disinterested last night.  A key player for us but only if he really wants to play.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Fuchs looked totally disinterested last night.  A key player for us but only if he really wants to play.

Not sure about disinterested but he was woeful last night

2 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

This for me. Argued with many United fans about this point. "We need a striker" is the mantra, why? What good are they going to do with the current tactics? Doesn't matter who is playing up front if they never get the ball! We need a creative player and a tactics change.

We have tactics?

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Suppose you could put Levitt, Glass and Butcher in there. 

Either way its not the best midfield and shows up how much we need a box to box player and a creative player (unless we start utilising the young players).

18 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

We have tactics?

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. This better...

This for me. Argued with many United fans about this point. "We need a striker" is the mantra, why? What good are they going to do with the way we play? Doesn't matter who is playing up front if they never get the ball! We need a creative player and some tactics.