The Dundee United Thread 22/23

20 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It says something that I would rather the Dees won the league than your Gretna tribute act.

Looking forward to helping the wheels come off.

Friends Hug GIF by MOODMAN

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Happened to Liam Smith? I thought he was a coup when you signed him and he always impressed me more than Freeman certainly did.

Has he always been shite for you or did he just turn to shite over night?

Liam Smith is the epitome of a very average player. Is never particularly shit or good.

Personally, I rated him higher than Freeman, but can't say I'm bothered he's away. He'll probably end up at a bottom-six Premiership side.

19 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

It's nice having all these visitors on the United thread, I think I'll miss that more than anything else when we're relegated into the Championship Forum.

You’ll still have the usual cohort of Sainties weirdos, sadly. 

I can see at least three ex St Mirren players ending up at Tannadice for next season . I'm a betting man and see Dundee United as certainties for promotion next season . Can see Dunne and Shaunessy being at Tannadice maybe Tait , and maybe Hladky . Think Goodwin will have a team with lots of muscle and a strong spine that will allow young players to break into the team and progress . I'm guessing Dundee Uniteds budget will be the biggest in the championship by quite a bit .

7 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I can see at least three ex St Mirren players ending up at Tannadice for next season . I'm a betting man and see Dundee United as certainties for promotion next season . Can see Dunne and Shaunessy being at Tannadice maybe Tait , and maybe Hladky . Think Goodwin will have a team with lots of muscle and a strong spine that will allow young players to break into the team and progress . I'm guessing Dundee Uniteds budget will be the biggest in the championship by quite a bit .

Would be happy to see Shaunessy and Hladky brought in. 

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

I wonder if Pawlett could be enticed back up to Aberdeen to play for us. Fair drop but his family all live up here in Banchory and isn't getting any younger albeit he could easily find a Championship club 

He's a 'character' is Pawlett, still at the diving and cheating right to the end, as his full time career finishes, on a low note.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Happened to Liam Smith? I thought he was a coup when you signed him and he always impressed me more than Freeman certainly did.

Has he always been shite for you or did he just turn to shite over night?

Personally I've always thought he was absolutely shite. Can't stop a cross and offers nothing going forward. Think there's an element of fans that still have PTSD from Stewart Murdoch which explains why they think Smith isn't terrible.

23 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

He's a 'character' is Pawlett, still at the diving and cheating right to the end, as his full time career finishes, on a low note.

Thank you.

He’d fit in well at Cove then.

9 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Newman certainly doesn't look ready to be second choice so if he's staying then it should be as third choice at best. Is that enough for him? I think it might be better for all concerned to let him find another club at a level more suited to his current ability and concentrate on bringing in a number 1 and experienced back-up. Ruaridh Adams can step up to third choice.

Remember we still have Saku who'll be returning from being on loan in Denmark, unless he can get another club. Still Finish no 2 and will still be highly thought of in Sweden.

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

Remember we still have Saku who'll be returning from being on loan in Denmark, unless he can get another club. Still Finish no 2 and will still be highly thought of in Sweden.

Can see us going into the new season with Saku as number 1. If the club pay off butterfingers doubt we'll be able to afford another keeper 

4 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Tait and Shaugnessy potentially could go for regular football, they are 100% the type of players United need, committed leaders and organisers. 

Dunne thinks he's better than he is but is still likely to get a gig at League 1 in England. 

No chance Hladky will end up at United, may have been an outside chance if they stayed up but he will not want to be playing in the Scottish Championship. I suspect he'll also go to a League 1 English side.

11 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

9 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Can see us going into the new season with Saku as number 1. If the club pay off butterfingers doubt we'll be able to afford another keeper 

This seems like a very bad idea. There was a point when Eriksson seemed to be an even worse keeper than Birighitti (if such a thing is possible). Whether one is marginally better than the other is almost irrelevant: even to be in that conversation should be enough to see both of them leave immediately. I think they'll both go and my preference would be for all three to go.

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

This seems like a very bad idea. There was a point when Eriksson seemed to be an even worse keeper than Birighitti (if such a thing is possible). Whether one is marginally better than the other is almost irrelevant: even to be in that conversation should be enough to see both of them leave immediately. I think they'll both go and my preference would be for all three to go.

I've not seen enough of Saku to form an opinion. But I've got a Swedish friend who raved about him when he signed for us.

For whatever reason I can't shake the idea he's had a bad rub of it and may deserve another chance.

2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I've not seen enough of Saku to form an opinion. But I've got a Swedish friend who raved about him when he signed for us.

For whatever reason I can't shake the idea he's had a bad rub of it and may deserve another chance.

There was a lot of Aussies raving about Birighitti and look how that turned out.

Eriksson looked just as bad when he got his chance.

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

There was a lot of Aussies raving about Birighitti and look how that turned out.

Eriksson looked just as bad when he got his chance.

Sakus stats when he played for us are better.

A stats guy on twitter has done an analysis here 

https://twitter.com/Mrcento/status/1663916456730345472?t=58Mtnhu_yFVHY3i6QvXHjQ&s=19

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Sakus stats when he played for us are better.

A stats guy on twitter has done an analysis here 

https://twitter.com/Mrcento/status/1663916456730345472?t=58Mtnhu_yFVHY3i6QvXHjQ&s=19

A lot of interpretation going on in that thread. In any event, the very fact that someone feels the need to analyse which one is better should be sufficient to tell us that Eriksson is not good enough. "Arguably less shit" than  the worst goalkeeper in the club's history is not what we should be aiming for.

Edited by Pull My Strings