The Dundee United Thread 22/23

8 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

If Dundee Utd can’t get out that league, Goodwin should never work in football again. 

Incredible he’s been given a 2 year contract 

If he can't get out of the league next year he shouldn't be at Utd but 'in football again' seems hysterical nonsense.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Welcome to the Championship. Hopefully you lads have better pattern than some of the Dee boys. Jeezy peeps, as they say up your way.

It says something that I would rather the Dees won the league than your Gretna tribute act.

Looking forward to helping the wheels come off.

53 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

If he can't get out of the league next year he shouldn't be at Utd but 'in football again' seems hysterical nonsense.

True, when he's exhausted all options and even my over 35's amateur team don't want him he'll get a gig at Sportsound. 

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

For the umpteenth transfer window in a row, the priorities are a competent goalkeeper, a big dirty centre half, a hard b*****d centre midfielder, and a goalscorer.

Looking forward to the influx of wing-backs who can't defend, and attacking midfielders who create nothing and can't tackle

Hypothetical question but do you think United would have stayed up if they kept Trevor Carson for this season? The goalkeeping position seems to have been a big part of United’s downfall this year, and the decision to let him leave looks like a terrible one because he’s been excellent for St Mirren. When you look at some of the outfield players they probably shouldn’t be in a team getting relegated automatically. Levitt, McGrath, Behich and Fletcher come to mind, but obviously they’ve not been performing for one reason or another, and the guys watching them every week will know better, but it seems like the lack of quality in the goalkeeping and defensive positions have killed you this year. 

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Hypothetical question but do you think United would have stayed up if they kept Trevor Carson for this season? The goalkeeping position seems to have been a big part of United’s downfall this year, and the decision to let him leave looks like a terrible one because he’s been excellent for St Mirren. When you look at some of the outfield players they probably shouldn’t be in a team getting relegated automatically. Levitt, McGrath, Behich and Fletcher come to mind, but obviously they’ve not been performing for one reason or another, and the guys watching them every week will know better, but it seems like the lack of quality in the goalkeeping and defensive positions have killed you this year. 

If we had a competent goalkeeper I don't think there's any question we'd have stayed up. There were individual errors across the board, but none as often or more costly than from the goalkeeper position.

I'm not saying we'd have finished way up the table, but he's been culpable in enough games that there'd be a 6 or 9 point swing easily.

13 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

If we had a competent goalkeeper I don't think there's any question we'd have stayed up. There were individual errors across the board, but none as often or more costly than from the goalkeeper position.

I'm not saying we'd have finished way up the table, but he's been culpable in enough games that there'd be a 6 or 9 point swing easily.

Yeah it seemed any time I watched a Dundee United game the keeper was having a howler. But that went right back to the Alkmaar game away, so it wasn’t like the management team didn’t get fair warning. I agree with you too I think a keeper like Carson in goals could have genuinely been the difference between 12th and 7th for yous this season. 

58 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Yes, and I expect you'll get unanimity on that one. Birrighitti wasn't the only weak point in the team but he was the worst and singlehandedly managed to destroy any burgeoning confidence in games many many times.

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

I'm starting to think you don't like him tbh

Having listened to his pathetic excuses every week, no wonder.

And he’ll NEVER be forgiven for Darvel.

Losing 5-0  & 6-0 to Hearts & Hibs as well. 
Should’ve been sacked after the Tynecastle debacle.  

I can’t help but notice fans of a several clubs have been on here making fun of the season you’ve just had.  You’ll be glad to know I’m not here to do that.  In fact I’m here to help.  I thought I’d be nice and post a map showing the quickest route for your first away day against Airdrie.  
ETA Please remain in the stands this time.  Thank you.

IMG_2555.jpeg

Edited by Shadow Play

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Yes. Birighitti is fucking shite.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Hypothetical question but do you think United would have stayed up if they kept Trevor Carson for this season? 

So reminiscent of when Killie went down and we had Colin Doyle in nets, with his highlight of throwing the ball in against St Mirren. If the defence has no confidence in the keeper then the panic and fear spreads right through the team.

At end of the day confidence is a huge factor as the squad at Tannadice shouldn't be in the position they are in.

Hopefully a far more successful season next year for you guys.