The Dundee United Thread 22/23

On 24/04/2023 at 18:34, ArabFC said:

... I'm currently watching AZ Alkmaar ... We beat the team that has made it to the semi-finals and are chasing down Ajax and PSV in the Eredivisie - not by fluke but with one of the best Dundee United performances in recent years.

Totally agree, been watching the AZ Alkmaar results over the season with interest too (my Arab pal went to the Alkmaar game in Holland). For all that United imploded over there it was plain to see that AZ had serious quality levels in their side.

In like vein I took my son to Tynie to watch Fiorentina and it was like men against boys, the gulf in quality to a mid table Serie A side was vast and plain to see.

Both AZ and Fiorentina have made it to the Conference League semi finals, and either of them could easily win the competition.

I think we're sometimes too quick to judge when we come up against high level European opposition. AZ and Fiorentina would've shafted any of our non-OF clubs with ease and they'd have given either of the ugly sisters a more than serious test.

25 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Totally agree, been watching the AZ Alkmaar results over the season with interest too (my Arab pal went to the Alkmaar game in Holland). For all that United imploded over there it was plain to see that AZ had serious quality levels in their side.

In like vein I took my son to Tynie to watch Fiorentina and it was like men against boys, the gulf in quality to a mid table Serie A side was vast and plain to see.

Both AZ and Fiorentina have made it to the Conference League semi finals, and either of them could easily win the competition.

I think we're sometimes too quick to judge when we come up against high level European opposition. AZ and Fiorentina would've shafted any of our non-OF clubs with ease and they'd have given either of the ugly sisters a more than serious test.

Alkmaar was classic false hope.

If you'd have predicted that United would lose that tie 7-1, most could have seen it coming, but I doubt anyone would have predicted the manner of it

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

If you'd have predicted that United would lose that tie 7-1, most could have seen it coming, but I doubt anyone would have predicted the manner of it

Much like the Dynamo Moscow tie.

15 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Yeah, I get that - United's collapse in the game over there was unexpected and should've been preventable.  That said, even if they'd held their act together I think a 3 goal loss away from home was still likely to that AZ side - ie similar to what Fiorentina did to the Jambos.  It's a measure of where our general game is against the larger European leagues.

Edited by Otis Blue

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Livingston away tickets on sale.

As far as I can tell the only part of the ground that has them for sale though is two wee sections of the 'Nordan East Stand', but there's nothing to say of that's home or away?

Anyone know?

Pretty sure that's the away end. At least, I hope so, given it's where my ticket is

On 05/05/2023 at 16:16, Steven W said:

Livingston away tickets on sale.

As far as I can tell the only part of the ground that has them for sale though is two wee sections of the 'Nordan East Stand', but there's nothing to say of that's home or away?

Anyone know?

On 05/05/2023 at 16:19, Sarto Mutiny said:

Pretty sure that's the away end. At least, I hope so, given it's where my ticket is

Yep, East Stand is the away end (well, one of them). Wouldn't pay too much attention to how many sections are available atm, you'll get as many as you like and we'll just be releasing them a section at a time

Very disappointing result and performance yesterday but if someone had said 5/6 weeks ago we’ll get 9 points from 12 moving us up to 10th and have our fate in our own hands we would have been delighted. Our 2 home games are going to be massive and really become must wins. If Fox was still in charge we would be down already, Goodwin has gave us a chance so here’s hoping he can get the players fired up for the remaining games. 

Young Arab sadly passed away this week in tragic and unexpected circumstances - believe I saw some supporters pages planning a minutes applause etc.

There is also a gofundme page set up to support his family which I’m really only posting to provide a link to. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/in-memory-of-jack-stewart?utm_campaign=p_cf+share-flow-1&utm_content=undefined&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer&utm_term=undefined