The Dundee United Thread 22/23

16 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Fletcher’s post-match comments from yesterday fairly enlightening, though not particularly surprising.

we showed that character against Hibs. That’s down to the gaffer. He has come in and filled the boys with confidence in the weeks he’s been here. Our fitness levels and standards; everything is higher. When the gaffer came in, he said: “Listen, you aren’t fit enough”. We knew that. He’s come in and given us a mini pre-season. The boys bought into it straight away.

Whilst this is new manager bullshit bingo I think the confidence bit is Goodwins job now. It's too late to really improve fitness or wholesale change to the squad 

Telling players that most of them are international footballers and they are really good and should be going out looking to win games is what he needs to get across 

There was plenty terrible on display to worry you on Sunday bit the character to come back and win was pleasing.

TLDR: Goodwin needs to trick these puddings into staying up. 

50 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'm surprised people are questioning the professionalism of the same players that downed tools during games leading to the sacking of a manager.

Agreed.

I remain unconvinced as to their fitness levels, as I rarely saw them put in enough effort to break a sweat.

19 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

An athlete's fitness is ultimately their responsibility. The intensity and attitude in training, whilst being set by the manager, needs implemented by experienced senior pros like Fletcher. You could have the biggest dud ever as manager but the core of the dressing room should at least be ensuring high standards and doing what they need to do to be in peak condition.

I've long thought this is an issue in Scottish football. I can't judge players on their exact athletic ability, but a lot of players in Scotland look like they're allergic to the gym.

To take it to an extreme example - Mo Salah is a phenomenal football player, but part of his ability is his strength, so he can shrug off the biggest of defenders.

I look at players like Freeman and Smith (among others) and think they could be blown over by a strong gust of wind.

2 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I've long thought this is an issue in Scottish football. I can't judge players on their exact athletic ability, but a lot of players in Scotland look like they're allergic to the gym.

To take it to an extreme example - Mo Salah is a phenomenal football player, but part of his ability is his strength, so he can shrug off the biggest of defenders.

I look at players like Freeman and Smith (among others) and think they could be blown over by a strong gust of wind.

Some players are advised not to bulk themselves up. 

2 hours ago, Juantwothree said:

Are the astro turf pitches still under the East stand near reception? My mate who's an Arab doesn't believe me that they existed 

Was that not part of the gym that apparently the players never used? Hegarty Lounge now?

Random shameless plug here but if you want to hear some new material from Craig Brewster, he joined our East End Tales podcast about his time at Dunfermline. Utd do get a few mentions in there for various reasons. About 48 minutes in although we do chat a bit about Brew beforehand. 

https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/1972630.rss

Edited by Stellaboz

If Goodwin saves us from the drop, as a manager I think he'll have redeemed himself a bit.

Still on the fence about taking him permanently as I feel it would fall away after a while.

Maybe having a clear goal drives the players and him forwards.

Restructure still needed. If Levitt and Sibbald are still about next season really need a defensive mid, Sibbald is okay in that role but it's not quite him and he can drive forwards better.

Levitt hopefully recovers from his injury and gets back to the promise he had.

Lot of churn over the summer still to be expected.

Great result today. Coming from 1 down to win shows there actually is some character to this group of players. 

Think we'll see a huge deal of change over the summer, from top to bottom of the club imo. But we have to stay up this season, we're now in a great position to do it when a few weeks ago it looked like we were totally fucked.

5 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Restructure still needed. If Levitt and Sibbald are still about next season really need a defensive mid, Sibbald is okay in that role but it's not quite him and he can drive forwards better.

Sometimes as a fan - if you're being reasonable - you might think that actually, maybe we should stop moaning and understand that the professionals know best.

But then other times I sit here and think, does ArabianKnight have a better understanding of the clubs needs than those running the club?

Cos a blind man could recognise the need for a defensive midfielder and all season the club have sat twiddling their thumbs going "nah". Truly one of the most baffling recruitment deficiencies of recent times.

Sorry that's not strictly true. They signed Djoum, labelled him the new anchor for our midfield and then had a wee chuckle.

Edited by ArabFC

34 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Sometimes as a fan - if you're being reasonable - you might think that actually, maybe we should stop moaning and understand that the professionals know best.

But then other times I sit here and think, does ArabianKnight have a better understanding of the clubs needs than those running the club?

Cos a blind man could recognise the need for a defensive midfielder and all season the club have sat twiddling their thumbs going "nah". Truly one of the most baffling recruitment deficiencies of recent times.

Sorry that's not strictly true. They signed Djoum, labelled him the new anchor for our midfield and then had a wee chuckle.

I don't know what I ever done to offend you.

But I'm quite glad it clearly eats you up on the daily.