The Dundee United Thread 22/23

I have an irritating feeling that we'll contrive to somehow win tomorrow*. It'd be very in keeping with this dumpster fire of a season for them to give yet more totally false hope and drag this shit-show out a little longer.

*Can always count on Hibs to royally Hibs it after all.

Edited by captainkev

36 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I have an irritating feeling that we'll contrive to somehow win tomorrow*. It'd be very in keeping with this dumpster fire of a season for them to give yet more totally false hope and drag this shit-show out a little longer.

*Can always count on Hibs to royally Hibs it after all.

I did predict on the match thread earlier in the week that we would match the County result...

The worst outcome all round. We're going down (as quickly as @Mark Connolly 's ma) but I'm embracing it. Let's be brutally honest - what Is there to win in the Premiership? Europe? Tame plaudits? We are going into a division that is exciting and i don't think we are favourites but we have a chance. 

Edited by Alert Mongoose

9 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

The worst outcome all round. We're going down (as quickly as @Mark Connolly 's ma) but I'm embracing it. Let's be brutally honest - what Is there to win in the Premiership? Europe? Tame plaudits? We are going into a division that is exciting and i don't think we are favourites but we have a chance. 

Well that's pretty rude.

On 02/04/2023 at 12:57, Estragon said:

I fancy Dundee United to beat Hibs next weekend. That was an absolute must win for us yesterday as I don't see us picking up more than one point before the split.

Still a long way to go.

😐

Fletcher’s post-match comments from yesterday fairly enlightening, though not particularly surprising.

we showed that character against Hibs. That’s down to the gaffer. He has come in and filled the boys with confidence in the weeks he’s been here. Our fitness levels and standards; everything is higher. When the gaffer came in, he said: “Listen, you aren’t fit enough”. We knew that. He’s come in and given us a mini pre-season. The boys bought into it straight away.

14 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

Fletcher’s post-match comments from yesterday fairly enlightening, though not particularly surprising.

we showed that character against Hibs. That’s down to the gaffer. He has come in and filled the boys with confidence in the weeks he’s been here. Our fitness levels and standards; everything is higher. When the gaffer came in, he said: “Listen, you aren’t fit enough”. We knew that. He’s come in and given us a mini pre-season. The boys bought into it straight away.

New managers always seem to claim this. Regardless, why is football the only sport where professional athletes seem to blame their lack of physical conditioning on someone else. If you knew you weren't fit enough then why didn't you get yourself fitter? It's more a reflection of a poor attitude/culture amongst a group of players than it is on the previous manager.

55 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

New managers always seem to claim this. Regardless, why is football the only sport where professional athletes seem to blame their lack of physical conditioning on someone else. If you knew you weren't fit enough then why didn't you get yourself fitter? It's more a reflection of a poor attitude/culture amongst a group of players than it is on the previous manager.

True. Bit it’s on the manager to ensure the players are sufficiently fit, regardless of personal responsibility that’s a fairly basic job requirement.

5 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

True. Bit it’s on the manager to ensure the players are sufficiently fit, regardless of personal responsibility that’s a fairly basic job requirement.

I agree, but the players don't come out if it well either. Claiming 'we knew that' (in relation to not being fit enough) whilst seemingly having done nothing about it is a pretty shameful admission. It's a (not so) subtle way for players to shift blame onto the manager - 'we weren't winning because the manager wasn't making us work hard enough'.

An athlete's fitness is ultimately their responsibility. The intensity and attitude in training, whilst being set by the manager, needs implemented by experienced senior pros like Fletcher. You could have the biggest dud ever as manager but the core of the dressing room should at least be ensuring high standards and doing what they need to do to be in peak condition.