The Dundee United Thread 22/23

6 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I don’t think Clark was sold to make or save money, particularly when just 6 months earlier Jack Ross was brought onboard for (if rumours are correct) and eye watering annual salary.  Clearly there was plenty of money at that point.  It would be strange if less than 6 months later the financial position had changed significantly. 

I know you’ve said Clark is now one of your highest earners but St Johnstone are well known for being fiscally responsible (that is a genuine compliment to St Johnstone) but did Clark increase his salary be joining St Johnstone or was it for a drop in pay?

Not a clue what he'd be on at Utd tbh.

We've not been fiscally responsible for a while now. We've spent fees on John Mahon, Tony Gallacher, Cammy MacPherson, Ali Crawford, Theo Bair, Eetu Vertainen and Nicky Clark in the past 18 months and its likely close to £500k all in for that. We seemingly offered £100k for Jordan White in January. Combine that with over 30 senior players contracted and we're likely close to having the largest wage bill in our history.

With that in mind it wouldnt be a shock if we've given him a pay rise too, but the long deal surely means its a lower wage.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

By most accounts we paid at least £80k for Clark, plus gave him a 3yr deal to become one of our highest ever earners, so its maybe not a huge surprise he moved.

Your issue is more not replacing him.

That's what I'm saying. It's all well and good to take the cash for a player who's not going to feature in the managers plans...but let's replace the goals we lose when the striker gets sold.

That last bit was clearly beyond the recruitment team. 

Fwiw I think Fletcher and Clark would have been a decent partnership. But we need someone with proper pace in the team, especially up front.

Just now, mishtergrolsch said:

That's what I'm saying. It's all well and good to take the cash for a player who's not going to feature in the managers plans...but let's replace the goals we lose when the striker gets sold.

That last bit was clearly beyond the recruitment team. 

Fwiw I think Fletcher and Clark would have been a decent partnership. But we need someone with proper pace in the team, especially up front.

I misread your post, tbh.

6 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Yes. I hope he learns from last night. 

I feel a lot of the criticism of Fletcher is a bit OTT, he has never been a clinical striker and he put in a shift at least, which is more than a lot of his team mates have done. As SGMilne said, he was probably surprised to actually be on the end of good chances for the first time this season.

From an almost neutral pov I thought Fletcher was excellent last night. As you say he’s never been a natural goalscorer but he won virtually everything in the air and usually headed towards one of your players - the last time a Dundee forward did that was 1997. His work rate was excellent and he gave the Aberdeen defence a pretty torrid time of it. 

Your problems are exactly as you have all eruditely outlined. No goalscorer, a shite defence (how that lad played in the WC is a mystery), and Coco the clown in goal. 
I still think you can scrape out of this hole though. 

Was anyone agitating for more centre backs to be brought in in the summer? My recollection is not.  Mulgrew, Edwards and Graham all played well last year and we were expecting to play 4 at the back this season under Ross.

It's unbelievable quite how much all three have fallen off a cliff this season. Nobody could've reasonably predicted this.

2 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Was anyone agitating for more centre backs to be brought in in the summer? My recollection is not.  Mulgrew, Edwards and Graham all played well last year and we were expecting to play 4 at the back this season under Ross.

It's unbelievable quite how much all three have fallen off a cliff this season. Nobody could've reasonably predicted this.

Maybe wasn’t seen as a problem position in the summer but it sure as f**k was glaringly obvious by the time the Xmas transfer window opened. As was the pish goalies, the still missing defensive midfield option and by the end of the window the lack of strikers. 

19 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Wasn’t particularly enamoured with the appointment of Goodwin (partly due to hoping Levein was coming back to oversee mass changes at the club) but there was a definite improvement last night and I thought his post match interview was very good, a refreshingly honest assessment of individual mistakes costing us along with a lack of a killer touch in front of goal and I liked him saying that while you could see the effort the players put in he wouldn’t praise them for doing so as that should be an absolute minimum for any professional player. 

Agree with others that his next team selection will be interesting but the problem there is we’re not blessed with many options thanks to a farcical transfer window which I believe will ultimately be responsible for our relegation. Edwards was appalling last night and looks absolutely shot of confidence but who replaces him, Smith who has been dreadful also recently or the 19 year old who had 30 minutes first team football and managed to get sent off in his first ever start at a professional level. In midfield if we take out Levitt for not tracking runners do we then bring in Djoum to not track runners and up front it’s clear that Fletcher would benefit from having a strike partner (Watt or Clark?) but the only options are a young prospect just turned 17 and a novice from Uganda.

Despite the above Motherwell have shown that a couple of good results make a huge difference and I have more faith in Goodwin getting something out of this team than I did under Fox bad sadly I fear we are doomed thanks to those in charge of player recruitment. 

From an Aberdeen fan, if that's your opinion on Goodwin, all I can say is, good luck. 

20 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Despite the above Motherwell have shown that a couple of good results make a huge difference and I have more faith in Goodwin getting something out of this team than I did under Fox

I wonder what matters more - the manager or bringing in better/more suitable players.

Motherwell aren't out the woods yet - but in contrast to Killie and Utd, we brought in a ton of players in the last window (9?) - including Butcher and Casey that have sorted our biggest problem out (ie  - a defence that was shipping soft goals every single week) at a stroke.

For all that the new manager is obviously part of it (he's changed the shape of the team which has definitely had a big impact), I still think that good transfer business in January has made the biggest difference to us over the years when we've been in a bad situation and is looking like happening again as things stand. 

21 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I'll hold Goodwin entirely responsible for our relegation if he decides against the American laddy coming in.

I'll hold Goodwin entirely responsible for our relegation if he signs the guy and he's as bad if not worse than the Aussie.

Ive got a spare pitchfork if you want it?

42 minutes ago, PartyFears2 said:

Edwards, Levitt out. 
Aniya, Sadat in. 

Is this the first time Edwards has been dropped since he was made captain? I'm not personally convinced by Aniya either but he's probably less likely to fall on his arse so that's a bonus.

Bit strange that Goodwin would do media interviews saying he backs his captain, he has a strong character etc, only to drop him for the match.

It's the correct call though. I just wish the competition for his place was stronger.

On 07/03/2023 at 12:47, ArabianKnight said:

I'll hold Goodwin entirely responsible for our relegation if he decides against the American laddy coming in.

Apparently been sent packing as no place near ready to play, Tonys parting gift dismissed by Goodwin while Fox would have just nodded in agreement as we handed out another 2 year deal.

WASHINGTON, DC (July 8, 2022) - D.C. United Goalkeeper Bill Hamid underwent hand surgery on June 30 to repair the small finger radial collateral ligament at the metacarpophalangeal joint with internal brace augmentation.

Hamid sustained a traumatic rupture of the fourth to fifth distal intermetacarpal ligament at the metacarpophalangeal joint. The surgery was performed by Dr. Peter Thomas of OrthoVirginia. Hamid is expected to be sidelined for approximately 2-3 months as he completes rehabilitation.

Knuckled.