The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

The hill I will die on: we'd have been in a better position now if we hadn't sacked Jack Ross and replaced him with Fox.

Fully agree. No danger would we be where we are right now. Probably plodding around the middle of the pack but no serious danger of relegation.

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Is it Asghar? Is it that they see the asset stripping on the horizon? Are they being asked to do as well the next season with a smaller budget or eith more kids who are miles away from being ready (which was a big criticismof Mellon)? 

But I would say (up until the recent January window) that suggestion hasn't been borne out in reality. The budget has been spent just not in a sensible way.

5 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Should have let Ross weed out the toxic players and have them train with the 18’s instead of going down the line of an expensive manager sacking.

Spot on, that's what they shoud've done, said that at the time, cant go letting arsehole players trying to take control.

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Should have let Ross weed out the toxic players and have them train with the 18’s instead of going down the line of an expensive manager sacking.

As we all probably already know the rumour at the time was it was Watt, Clark and Mulgrew that were the three that were undermining Ross. Mulgrew apparently unhappy he wasn’t getting to continue to train from home 2 days a week and that he was no longer going to be called upon to assist in the coaching side of things.    No idea if the rumours are true but a bit of a coincidence that Clarke and Watt have been shipped out, particularly given United’s apparent lack of strikers.

To the United fans on here, what have Mulgrew’s performances under Fox been like?  Is he showing signs of being a leader on the park?

I genuinely think United would have been fine if they'd let Jack Ross do his job.

His signings were, in theory, absolutely excellent. Many thought United had done the best business in Scotland in the summer and when the players were playing for him, you beat a half decent European side in Alkmaar.

Former Scottish international striker Steven Fletcher was a signing and a half and still getting a first team game in the English Championship, Dylan Levitt was a massive coup and you spent money that other clubs would have balked at, Jamie McGrath was viewed as an outstanding bit of business, Sibbald and Middleton were assets to other teams in the league the previous season. The two punts that Ross made in Bezich & Birighitti were both international capped players. All that seemed to be missing was a defensive midfielder.

And even with some of those being absolute disasters - the keeper mainly - it's not business I'd crucify the manager for as did he not want Zander Clark originally?

The rumoured three undermining Ross seems to be where the rot truly set it.

Hard to blame Ashghar as well, because there can't have been anyone in Scotland that would have thought the business you did in the summer would have turned out as terrible as it ultimately did.

Although it is clear, he is a huge issue nonetheless.

24 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

As we all probably already know the rumour at the time was it was Watt, Clark and Mulgrew that were the three that were undermining Ross. Mulgrew apparently unhappy he wasn’t getting to continue to train from home 2 days a week and that he was no longer going to be called upon to assist in the coaching side of things.    No idea if the rumours are true but a bit of a coincidence that Clarke and Watt have been shipped out, particularly given United’s apparent lack of strikers.

To the United fans on here, what have Mulgrew’s performances under Fox been like?  Is he showing signs of being a leader on the park?

1st time I've heard anyone mentioning Clark as a trouble maker 

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I genuinely think United would have been fine if they'd let Jack Ross do his job.

His signings were, in theory, absolutely excellent. Many thought United had done the best business in Scotland in the summer and when the players were playing for him, you beat a half decent European side in Alkmaar.

Former Scottish international striker Steven Fletcher was a signing and a half and still getting a first team game in the English Championship, Dylan Levitt was a massive coup and you spent money that other clubs would have balked at, Jamie McGrath was viewed as an outstanding bit of business, Sibbald and Middleton were assets to other teams in the league the previous season. The two punts that Ross made in Bezich & Birighitti were both international capped players. All that seemed to be missing was a defensive midfielder.

And even with some of those being absolute disasters - the keeper mainly - it's not business I'd crucify the manager for as did he not want Zander Clark originally?

The rumoured three undermining Ross seems to be where the rot truly set it.

Hard to blame Ashghar as well, because there can't have been anyone in Scotland that would have thought the business you did in the summer would have turned out as terrible as it ultimately did.

Although it is clear, he is a huge issue nonetheless.

This is a really good summing up from an unexpected source tbh 

Not sure about this post hoc analysis of Jack Ross. Fox, for as shite as we have been under him, still has a better record than Ross with Ross' squad (or bits of as players have continued to be taken away from him). None of us will ever know the exact cause of the calamitous performances under Ross but it's fair to say that they were among the worst ever committed by any football team in the history of football. Bold claim then to suggest that he would have made a better fist of turning it around than his successor who, for all his faults, doesn't yet appear to have a full blown revolt on his hands. Is Jack Ross a better coach/manager than Liam Fox? Yeah, probably. Could he have turned it around after leading a team to two of the most embarrassing results and performances in history with a team who appeared to be either completely unable or unwilling to follow his instructions? Surely not.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It is absolutely not hard to blame Asghar. The summer recruitment looked decent but it was incomplete and he has continued to ditch players without replacing them since. 

What’s the protocol for HMFC supporters here, in this topic? I am relatively new here. I assume when we were in a similar position, there was a lot of good will from United fans? I’ll try and be arsed going back to check.

We can't tell what would have happened had Ross been kept on, but I was glad at the time that he left. I also don't know for certain if troublemakers were at the root of his departure, but do know the results under him were generally dreadful.

It's hardly worth considering what would have happened if he had been kept on, but there is no doubt whatever took place, it was expensive for the club, and the price is still being paid.

To the prospective keeper signing: I'm wondering why we aren't looking for a clubless keeper who has experience in Scottish or at least British football. Bill Hamid also has had quite a lot of long term injuries.

7 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

A 32 year old international keeper coming in to rescue us from a couple of comically terrible goalies and seemingly certain relegation, you say?

6C0D412F-C4E4-41A8-AAD3-711B92BF8EC7.jpeg

And the similarities don’t end there: 

“and the move is subject to a work permit being issued.”

5 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

And the similarities don’t end there: 

“and the move is subject to a work permit being issued.”

There’s clearly some weird time loop thing going on here and I cannot help but feel that story about the earth’s core starting to spin the wrong way is not coincidental to this.

I will confess to knowing f**k all about Hamid (other than apparently we couldn't get a work permit about a decade ago) but I'm guessing that he's got 8 caps for USA would suggest he's alright given they usually have a raft of decent goalkeepers. I am aware of the curse of Dundee United signing 'international' goalkeepers though