The Dundee United Thread 22/23

4 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Re. the subs, I've lost count of the number of times we have been behind and Fox has made a like for like change in injury time. Today it was Cudjoe coming on after 90 minutes. Absolutely pointless. The game's over before the player is able to get up to speed. 

I would definitely be getting rid of Fox now. He may well be a good guy and a decent coach, no idea, but he's been overpromoted and he's not the only one. I've run out of excuses for Asghar too. I do think a lot of the criticism which he's been subject too has been unfair (because he's a fat, ex polis, ***)  .. but, there's a common denominator with the run of managers and the position he has left us in after the transfer window is reckless at best, I'd personally say negligent. Ultimately Asghar is responsible and that's where the significant change has to happen. I won't hold my breath.

Absolutely, Fox just doesn't seem to have the insight or imagination to make a sub that is more than just a straight swap. He's a big fan of switching Sibbald for Djoum (or vice-versa) at about the 60 minute mark to make it look like he's doing something. When both have started, like today, then he just does nothing instead. It's rather in keeping with how his spell as manager has gone that last week, when he should have made the like for like change, he left Ayina on to pick up a second booking that everyone else saw coming a mile off.

I've also been inclined to largely hold back on criticism towards Asghar over the years. Mostly due to the fact that even when United fans have been making valid arguments against him, more often than not it's been done so in an unnecessarily angry and downright unpleasant manner. That being said, there's been such a string of f**k ups on and off the pitch under his watch in the past 18 months that I can't really disagree anymore with those calling for him to go.

What concerns me is that finding someone to replace Asghar will likely be tricky; not something we can rush into. However, hiring a new manager should be a more pressing priority, but Asghar will be heavily involved in making that decision. As it stands I don't have any real faith in him bringing in anyone suitable.

1 minute ago, captainkev said:

Absolutely, Fox just doesn't seem to have the insight or imagination to make a sub that is more than just a straight swap. He's a big fan of switching Sibbald for Djoum (or vice-versa) at about the 60 minute mark to make it look like he's doing something. When both have started, like today, then he just does nothing instead. It's rather in keeping with how his spell as manager has gone that last week, when he should have made the like for like change, he left Ayina on to pick up a second booking that everyone else saw coming a mile off.

I've also been inclined to largely hold back on criticism towards Asghar over the years. Mostly due to the fact that even when United fans have been making valid arguments against him, more often than not it's been done so in an unnecessarily angry and downright unpleasant manner. That being said, there's been such a string of f**k ups on and off the pitch under his watch in the past 18 months that I can't really disagree anymore with those calling for him to go.

What concerns me is that finding someone to replace Asghar will likely be tricky; not something we can rush into. However, hiring a new manager should be a more pressing priority, but Asghar will be heavily involved in making that decision. As it stands I don't have any real faith in him bringing in anyone suitable.

Yeah, Asghar's replacement really should be picking a new manager.

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

He could have, but Mulgrew asked for it. That is Mulgrew, member of the coaching team, Birighitti 's boss asking for the ball.

That should not have happened and Birighitti should have had the sense to ignore it.

Mulgrew was culpable as surely to god you look round before you get the ball, he still had time to hoof it anywhere, but knowing he was being chased down passed it back to a keeper he knows is not the most comfortable on the ball inbetween the posts.

Birighitti should have hoofed it first time. He looks like he was trying to do the right thing in putting it out for a throw, but took a touch and we are yet again a goal down.

Birighitti is directly at fault for being to slow, Mulgrew is indirectly at fault for doing everything a 36 cap international, league winner, cup winner, player coach, knows he shouldn't do.

The two of them can GTF as far as I am concerned.

Mulgrew also took two touches to pass the ball back to the keeper.  Surely he’s good enough to just pass it straight back when he saw he was getting closed down?  Any word on your keeper’s injury?

1 hour ago, SGMilne said:

I've never been so angry with a United player as I was with Birighitti today. What an absolute coward. Fucks up (twice because he shouldn't have passed the ball to Mulgrew in the first place) and then went down "injured" to save face.

His teammates were raging with him as well, and rightly so. He can never play for us again, surely?

And it's time for Fox to go to. I've heard from multiple sources that he's a lovely guy and he's well liked, but to be honest, does that matter if he can't win games and fails to light a fire under a team who look scared to take the ball forward?#

He's got to go, and Asghar has to go with him.

Plus point today was that Kai Fotheringham looks like a good player and we'll hopefully see more of him from now on.

Glad to see Kai hit the ground running on his return to DUFC.  Stirling fans were disappointed on his recall. I realise there is a huge gulf between Premier and League 2, but I feel he could make a difference to your season. While at Stirling the first 45 mins were normally his best. The last time I was so impressed with a loanee at Forthbank, was a guy called Snodgrass. 

Birighitti should never have passed to Mulgrew.

Mulgrew should never have passed back to his weak feet.

Birighitti should never have taken a touch.

46 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I know the reasons (and haven't seen the goal yet) but Mulgrew has won a good few more caps than Narey. Make of that what you will but the number of caps was given earlier as one of the reasons for following Mulgrew's orders.

If you're trying to claim Mulgrew is better than Dave Narey then you should put the Pritt Stick down.

Not at all, I'm old enough to have seen Narey play. Someone said the only person he should have passed to was Narey, someone else said he passed to Mulgrew because he's a coach and gave the number of caps he has along with his experience. Just pointing out the anomaly between the players and the number of caps considering the relative standard. I also said I understand the reasons why Mulgrew has more caps.

Anyway, too early in the evening for the pritt sticks!

Struggling to take any solace in the fact that other results went our way - but they did, so that, along with Fotheringham would be the only positives from that horror show.

Thought we had a lot possession and a lot of crosses into the box, yet for all that their keeper barely had a save to make. A different manager could quite possibly do something that team.

Birighitti must never play again for us. His mistake (he's been so casual with the ball at his feet for weeks now, it was inevitable he'd get caught out some time) was bad enough - but feigning injury to get taken off is the fkn pits!

One other (small beer compared to everything else) but the match programmes sold out today (way before kickoff too). My eight year old son has got every home programme from this season (and is doing the '83 sticker book) so if anyone is able to get me a spare I'd be very grateful 

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Not at all, I'm old enough to have seen Narey play. Someone said the only person he should have passed to was Narey, someone else said he passed to Mulgrew because he's a coach and gave the number of caps he has along with his experience. Just pointing out the anomaly between the players and the number of caps considering the relative standard. I also said I understand the reasons why Mulgrew has more caps.

Anyway, too early in the evening for the pritt sticks!

I mentioned caps and experience just to make the point that Mulgrew, and not for the first time this season, has fucked up. He has done this inspite of everything he has done in the 17 years since he made his debut. He is not the player he thinks he is and he is now one of the coaches at the club.

I didn't uuse it to make any other.insinuation other than the fact Mulgrew has had an absolute howler which has been exacerbated by the duffer from down under.

1 minute ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I've read that Birizwicki is out for the season with a dislocated shoulder. At least we have an experienced Backup keeper...

Wait....

This would be good as he wouldn't play any more and I reckon we'd be able to get an emergency loan keeper

1 hour ago, Tannadeechee said:

I'm not saying Birighitti wasn't at fault, he clearly was as I said he needs to first time it clear , but Mulgrew has been at fault for a few issues this season and I believe not following Courts' instructions either. He seems to be getting an easy ride but they can both GTF.

Birighitti's international  career is vastly overstated. He has one cap and it was fecking years ago.

We can only hope that we can get someone in that has a clue, because we can all see where we are failing. We have more caos in the squad now than we have had for years and years. We've spent big on players. We don't need players we need a team! But surely to God there must be someone out there unntil the end of the season you can use what we've got rather than try to make them fit a system that is tacticlly inept from the start

Remember the absolute most dug shit of united ever keepers Kelham o'hanlon also was capped for his country.  

I think Bitighitti must be the worst we’ve ever had.  The number of goals he’s cost us is ridiculous.

Hopefully a serious enough injury to allow us to get an emergency loan in.

The management of the club is embarrassing, crying out for a striker to come on today and we have nothing.

Dont know if I can watch any more of this shite.  Wish I didn’t have a season ticket but feel kind of obliged to keep going, even though I know it ruins my weekend and it’s inevitably ending in relegation.

You really can't take more than one or two positives out of that. One of those is that it's one result closer to the end of Fox, Crawford and Asghar.

Fotheringham is the only other positive I can really see. Seemed really comfortable considering it's his first Premiership outing this season after spending the other half of it in the fourth tier.

Bringing on Cudjoe in the 90' just felt like another Anaku vs Killie moment of Fox's absolutely incredible use of substitutes. I'm surprised he never tried to somehow swap Djoum and Sibbald despite both being on the park.

Asghar masterclass sending Eriksson out on loan which left us with one senior keeper (Can you really call him that anymore?) and Newman, who I wouldn't trust in nets for my team never mind a professional one.

Finally, Mulgrew shouldn't don a tangerine jersey again in his career.