The Dundee United Thread 22/23

3 days left in the transfer window and despite being joint second bottom no improvement has been made to our squad. Don’t think we need to see players brought in just for the sake of it but there are definitely areas in our squad that need strengthened and it’s a bit of a gamble not addressing our weaknesses especially when a couple of our key players are of a vintage where they are undoubtedly going to miss games. 

On 27/01/2023 at 08:34, ArabianKnight said:

It's all relative. All of the above named players will have decent professional careers in full time football.

Graham seems to have went backwards this season but tbf he's a young lad who got a lot of the spot light last season for his performances.

Meekison is a baller but I think he needs to be the main attacking threat to shine playing off the striker.

Mochrie seems to me to be a similar player to Blair Spittal, capable enough but not exactly a star.

Glass, god knows seemed to have it but clearly noone at the club thinks so any more.

Chalmers, great young laddy who's got plaudits wherever he's went on loan but again just doesn't seem to fit in at United for now. 

Thing is you can't play all of them at once as they are all fairly similar, if Meekison bulks up and works on the defensive side of things he'd definitely have a place in the first team. Mochrie too can operate wide but wouldn't fit the system and would have to dislodge Harkes.

I think the fact none of them have dislodged Harkes is what is depressing me. 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I think the fact none of them have dislodged Harkes is what is depressing me. 

Harkes got offered a stupid contract to stay another year and I think it's pigheaded from the club to keep playing him as it justifies the wages.

I don't mind Harkes as a player and do actually appreciate his efforts at least but I'd rather we played one of the mentioned laddies at least in his place to help them develop and grow 

I think we expect too much of young players and indeed put too much pressure on the managers to play them.

Occasionally you'll get a youngster who comes in and makes a position his own, like Gauld or Souttar, but that doesn't happen that often and certainly hasn't happened too much since they both left.

The likes of Meekison, Mochrie and Glass all made their debuts at a very young age; younger than someone like Stuart Armstrong who popped up, almost out of nowhere when he was a few months off of turning 19.

Johnny Russell went on various loans and only made a dent in the first team 3 years after his debut at the age of 20 or 21.

With Goodwillie it was even longer. He only became a first choice for us in season 2009/10 after making his debut in 2005/6.

Even the likes of Appere and Graham, who did make a splash at first team level, did so only when they become physically capable of handling it.

None of the young players on our books are currently good enough to take the spot from Levitt, Harkes or McGrath, as much as we'd like them to. Mochrie when he's played for us has looked totally overwhelmed and scared to do anything, Glass has some skill but doesn't do any tracking and there's a reason he rarely gets off the bench when loaned to clubs playing at a lower level, Meekison is good but needs more game time at that lower level.

The one player I thought was going to kick on and become a first team player for us was Chalmers, and I suppose he still might.

Wasnt expecting anything out of that but still pish. Only Fletcher, Middleton, Behich and Sibbald dont look like rabbits in the headlights when Celtic put us under any pressure. The rest of them were complete shitebags. Special mention to Liam Smith who once again outdone himself with another horror show. And talking about horrow shows, Freeman ffs

Big performance and result needed at Killie during the week

Fox’s has demonstrably sorted us out shape-wise but there’s still an an individual mistake in too many of those players. Squad is paper thin too. Hoping his comments about no new faces is just some sort of brinkmanship shtick. f**k knows what the plan is if/when Fletcher picks up a knock

Today showed how important it is to have some dig in midfield against better sides, because without it, they just run through you.

That being said, general attitude is light years ahead of the 9-0.

With Watt away, that hopefully brings in cash and frees up a big wage, so United need to be clever in the transfer window.#

I'd say maximum we'll bring in 3 players. So a goalkeeper just isn't priority.

Right sided centre back (with Smith going back to RWB and Freeman being dropped)

Central midfield enforcer/leader

Striker.

27 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

Right sided centre back (with Smith going back to RWB and Freeman being dropped)

Central midfield enforcer/leader

Striker.

This 100%. Very worried what everyone can else see will somehow not be addressed by the club, hoping to be proved wrong. 

Edited by skinny arab

Smith and Freeman both had an afternoon to forget. Hopefully a centre half will come in by Tuesday night and Smith and Freeman can fight it out for the RB spot.

Levitt and Harkes could do a lot worse than look to the likes of Mooy and see what happens when you get yourself extremely fit and put on some muscle.

38 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

This 100%. Very worried what everyone can else see will somehow not be addressed by the club, hoping to be proved wrong. 

All well and good identifying what is needed - for example, everyone with any sanity previously recognised we needed a midfield enforcer - and the club went out and signed Djoum.

Which is why I'd rather keep Watt and not go and try and find a replacement for him in the next couple of days. We'd just as likely sign another dud.

2 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Question. If the window shuts and we havent brought anyone in, does everyone feel we have enough to keep us up? 

Yeah, although not as comfortably as it should be. The other five teams in the bottom six are absolutely shite.

I think we'll bring in two more: midfielder and a big forward to provide cover for Fletcher. 

9 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

Question. If the window shuts and we havent brought anyone in, does everyone feel we have enough to keep us up? 

If squad stays as it is right now then I think we’ll stay up, but would prefer couple quality players to make sure and even get us climbing the league a bit.