The Dundee United Thread 22/23

On 23/01/2023 at 12:18, Pull My Strings said:

You're both wrong. MacLeod didn't look out of place, which for a 16 year playing in a man's game is testament to his ability. He wasn't close to being the best player on the park though.

Since we've got nothing better to argue about, I didn't say it, the match reporter did ;)

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Unfortunately, even if all that is correct, he won't be coming anywhere near us

No, I was just suggesting that £4million seems a little optimistic if Nisbet’s worth £2million. I know it’s potential you’re buying with Macleod, but with the best will in the world, he’s been in the 1st team for over a year now and hasn’t exactly set the heather on fire. 

On 24/01/2023 at 18:21, skinny arab said:

Won the reserve derby 5-0, Meekieson, Thomson, Sadat and a Cudjoe double. 
Obviously the youngsters don’t know that scoring 6 is the done thing against that lot. 

To be fair, it was our under 14's you played.

3 minutes ago, MulsonFFC said:

Is Meekison decent? Where has be predominantly played?

Looks a good player but not had many chances this season.  Attacking midfielder, good first touch, turns with the ball well.  Needs to bulk up a bit to play in the premier league and improve his defensive role to play for United I think.  Should be a stand out in a League one team.

On 22/01/2023 at 12:46, Steven W said:

Meekison - noticed him on the park by himself about half one making a fairly lengthy phonecall (his agent maybe?) Fair to say Fox doesn't rate him and he didn't even make the squad yesterday (took part in the warm down so not injured). Can see him looking for a move as he must be hacked off. Puzzles me as I thought he looked good towards the end of last season.

Maybe was on the phone to his agent...

Seems Fox just doesn't rate him. A real pity as I thought he looked a player last season. 

Hopefully he can do well at The Falkirk Stadium (been a happy hunting ground for him before), and come back and prove his worth next season.

4 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Do you guys rate Mochrie or Meekison higher? Curious as to what you guys think as Dunfermline fans have been raving about Mochrie all season.

Mochrie broke through first but Meekison probably rated a bit more highly by the club currently. Both really need to be playing every week. I think they'll both make it at a good level, although whether that's at United remains to be seen.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I've a horrible feeling none of this current crop of Mochrie, Glass,  Graham and Chalmers are any good.

This is where I'm at.

Decent kids but would expect them to spend most of their careers in the championship and league one - including Meekison.

MacLeod has a little bit more about him, but if he is any good, he'll be off soon anyway.

49 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

This is where I'm at.

Decent kids but would expect them to spend most of their careers in the championship and league one - including Meekison.

MacLeod has a little bit more about him, but if he is any good, he'll be off soon anyway.

Meekison is currently where I was at with the others a year to 18 months ago. Excited at wee flashes I have seen.

It's probably more a case that I need to see more of Meekison so I can be fully disabused of any optimism I might have.

I think if we see a youngster take more than a season to break through they'll never make it. Mostly because if they're here that long no big team has poached them ala Kerr Smith and what's probably going to happen to the latest young lad going for £4m. Hopefully. 

There may be the odd one like Ross Graham who are here a while but that'll be because they'll never go much higher than United. Which isn't necessarily a criticism as that's what we need.

It's all relative. All of the above named players will have decent professional careers in full time football.

Graham seems to have went backwards this season but tbf he's a young lad who got a lot of the spot light last season for his performances.

Meekison is a baller but I think he needs to be the main attacking threat to shine playing off the striker.

Mochrie seems to me to be a similar player to Blair Spittal, capable enough but not exactly a star.

Glass, god knows seemed to have it but clearly noone at the club thinks so any more.

Chalmers, great young laddy who's got plaudits wherever he's went on loan but again just doesn't seem to fit in at United for now. 

Thing is you can't play all of them at once as they are all fairly similar, if Meekison bulks up and works on the defensive side of things he'd definitely have a place in the first team. Mochrie too can operate wide but wouldn't fit the system and would have to dislodge Harkes.