The Dundee United Thread 22/23

On 05/01/2023 at 09:29, Arab_R_us said:

1 million and they can have him

Just seen (albeit on another forum) that Galatasaray have bid £400k. If true its a difficult one for the club - off the back of a good World Cup his stock is about as high as it could really get.

Hes out of contract end of next season when he'll be 33/34.

Do we play hardball for more dosh and risk an unhappy player who may want to go now for a last payday?

Do we take the £400k (if true) for a guy we got for nothing a few months ago?

Or, preferably, we get £1m and do a whip round for Aziz's taxi to the airport and wish him all the best for his fleeting time here?

Fingers crossed it's the latter. 

Id be stunned if we were to take £400,000 for him. We should be looking for 7 figures minimum and when you weigh up the cost of possible relegation etc, £400k is peanuts so id be turning that down

4 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Id be stunned if we were to take £400,000 for him. We should be looking for 7 figures minimum and when you weigh up the cost of possible relegation etc, £400k is peanuts so id be turning that down

4 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Can’t see United letting him go for that sort of fee. 

I hope not.

I know its new ownership etc but I'm still not over the fee we got for Armstrong and GMS.

I noticed that chat on twitter earlier. I got told the club would be looking for the figure I quoted minimum otherwise its pointless. 

Behich's attacking play would be a contribution to avoiding relegation so to let him go for 400k would be ridiculous. 

I'm feeling more positive after that performance than I did after the County and St. Johnstone wins. Results worked out kindly for us this weekend so we haven't lost ground on anyone. If we can maintain the effort and focus of the first half today more often then I feel we have a very good chance of getting ourselves out of our current mess.

41 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I'm feeling more positive after that performance than I did after the County and St. Johnstone wins. Results worked out kindly for us this weekend so we haven't lost ground on anyone. If we can maintain the effort and focus of the first half today more often then I feel we have a very good chance of getting ourselves out of our current mess.

I feel much the same.  It will be good to have McGrath back and it will be interesting to see if we bring in or ship out anyone else.

We were good first half, but had a crap 5 minutes at the start of the second and that was that.

As someone who generally doesn't rate Harkes, I think he's been far more effective in the attacking role than in central midfield (and when he was put back into there today he may as well have walked off the park).

Tony Watt looked like he couldn't have given less of a shit today, which is potentially an indicator that he's away. Macleod looked full of energy though and I'd be keen to see him play longer.

The one thing that has struck me over the last couple of weeks though is that the wingback position is crucial to our success, and I'm just not seeing enough from Freeman. He gets so much of the ball and does so little with it. I'd love to see us sign a better player for that position this window.

7 hours ago, SGMilne said:

We were good first half, but had a crap 5 minutes at the start of the second and that was that.

As someone who generally doesn't rate Harkes, I think he's been far more effective in the attacking role than in central midfield (and when he was put back into there today he may as well have walked off the park).

Tony Watt looked like he couldn't have given less of a shit today, which is potentially an indicator that he's away. Macleod looked full of energy though and I'd be keen to see him play longer.

The one thing that has struck me over the last couple of weeks though is that the wingback position is crucial to our success, and I'm just not seeing enough from Freeman. He gets so much of the ball and does so little with it. I'd love to see us sign a better player for that position this window.

Agreed re Harkes - he’s just not a midfielder. Backup to McGrath is his role.

And also agree re Freeman. He’s ok but I question his decision making half the time he gets the ball.

Id rather play Smith there though and buy a proper CB.

I'll not hear a bad word about Sheep! His defensive side of the game needs a bit of work. But his attacking rate and willingness to get in the box after bursting a gut getting up and down the park all game is appreciated here. 

What's incredibly frustrating is Smith, I'm sure he does more attacking and positive passing forwards when he's coming from RCB compared to when he plays RB/RWB, surely I'm not the only one that's noticed this? 

One thing that's really starting to bother me though is Sibbald. Seems to be he's a 45mins player and that's it. I had concerns about his fitness when he joined and sadly I think I'm getting proven correct here. Definitely something amiss. Which is annoying as he's definitely a player I'd like to see keep up his levels throughout a whole match. 

On 09/01/2023 at 08:01, ArabianKnight said:

I'll not hear a bad word about Sheep! His defensive side of the game needs a bit of work. But his attacking rate and willingness to get in the box after bursting a gut getting up and down the park all game is appreciated here. 

What's incredibly frustrating is Smith, I'm sure he does more attacking and positive passing forwards when he's coming from RCB compared to when he plays RB/RWB, surely I'm not the only one that's noticed this? 

I appreciate a lot of folk like Sheep and he does a not too bad job, but he's no great either!

But in all honesty I think Smith is a better player in almost every facet of the game - not that he's any great superstar either.

39 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Finn Robson joins us on loan, talk to me Terrors

Nae idea. He's nowhere near the first team. I think he might have played a game in the group stage of the league cup last season but that's about it. He's a defensive/ball winning midfielder. That's it.

14 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Finn Robson joins us on loan, talk to me Terrors

Young, bit raw, technical player full of running. Will do alright for you guys but he's maybe not quite there for United. Not a terrible player by any means but badly needs first team action to kick on.