The Dundee United Thread 22/23

On 29/12/2022 at 18:20, ArabFC said:

Watt was one of our best and most liked players last season - despite a lack of goals.

A few games on the bench and folk are wanting rid? Y'all mad!

👆 What this guy said 

4 hours ago, captainkev said:

What is the deal with McGrath? I thought I read somewhere recently that Wigan aren't planning on recalling him, but I've not seen any word about him being out injured and he hasn't been in the squad since the world cup has finished.

He's injured.

Calf problem apparently. https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/4014688/liam-fox-demands-more-ruthlessness-from-dundee-united-stars-and-gives-update-on-missing-duo-after-ross-county-triumph/

37 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Looks like Watt may well be away before the weekend. 

I think his reaction / celebration to his goal yesterday said as such.

Also, Neil McCann would seem to be in the know with his "might just keep him at the club" comment on Sportscene 

Letting Watt go when we're 11th in the table and our first-choice striker is 35 and our third-choice is 16 would be epically dumb.

Sure you can take the view that we can reinvest the wages in a new option, but do we really need to trot out a list of all the dud strikers we've bought over the years?

Watt is a good player. Don't be fcuking stupid Fat Tone!

I'd rather we kept Behic, however, if we don't, it's been a good bit of business for the club. Free transfer, made a decent amount of money from him being at the World Cup and then no doubt sold for a good fee. If he wants to go, then fair enough, you shouldn't stand in his way.#

Tony Watt is one I'm conflicted about. His goals return hasn't been great and if Fletcher is playing then he is on the bench or being played out of position. And he's no doubt on a lot of money and could potentially be a bit of an issue behind the scenes if you think back to rumours around Jack Ross's departure. But that being said, when he does play at centre forward he can score goals, and so while I wouldn't be upset if he did leave, I would be upset if he left without a suitable replacement already lined up.

Meanwhile, we've all spent the last 5 months demanding we sign another goalkeeper, centre back and get a defensive midfielder in, and yet under Fox, in the last 11 games we have the best defensive record in the league. 11 goals in 11 games compared to 23 goals in 4 games under Jack Ross.

Maybe we don't need those players as desperately as we previously thought?

21 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

Meanwhile, we've all spent the last 5 months demanding we sign another goalkeeper, centre back and get a defensive midfielder in, and yet under Fox, in the last 11 games we have the best defensive record in the league. 11 goals in 11 games compared to 23 goals in 4 games under Jack Ross.

100%

One thing I've picked up on over the last year or two, is that when Utd fans, seemingly en-masse, (desperately need a CDM, Djoum is crap etc etc) form an opinion, it usually turns out to be bollocks.

16 minutes ago, Steven W said:

100%

One thing I've picked up on over the last year or two, is that when Utd fans, seemingly en-masse, (desperately need a CDM, Djoum is crap etc etc) form an opinion, it usually turns out to be bollocks.

I've withheld opinion on Djoum till he's got up to speed. Certainly isn't the worst option to have in the midfield. 

Definitely light years ahead of some of the pish we've had a few years back. 

43 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

I'd rather we kept Behic, however, if we don't, it's been a good bit of business for the club. Free transfer, made a decent amount of money from him being at the World Cup and then no doubt sold for a good fee. If he wants to go, then fair enough, you shouldn't stand in his way.#

Tony Watt is one I'm conflicted about. His goals return hasn't been great and if Fletcher is playing then he is on the bench or being played out of position. And he's no doubt on a lot of money and could potentially be a bit of an issue behind the scenes if you think back to rumours around Jack Ross's departure. But that being said, when he does play at centre forward he can score goals, and so while I wouldn't be upset if he did leave, I would be upset if he left without a suitable replacement already lined up.

Agree with all of this. I like Watt too, though he can be frustrating. We’re likely over paying him and the club probably envisaged more goals, though there have been mitigating circumstances. His body language at times means he’s always going to get a bit of stick from our more irascible supporters, reminds me of Andy McLaren a bit in that respect. On a goals/games basis it might make financial sense but would be a huge risk at this stage of the season. Based on track record I’m not particularly reassured Asghar would have a better replacement lined up either, assuming we do.

9 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I've withheld opinion on Djoum till he's got up to speed. Certainly isn't the worst option to have in the midfield. 

Definitely light years ahead of some of the pish we've had a few years back. 

Exactly. Djoum is fine. I remember Christophe Rabitsch

Behich leaving would be a much bigger blow, imo, than Watt and much harder to replace. Watt's a good player but he doesn't consistently perform and is very much second choice now. If he goes - and frees up a decent wage - it may be an opportunity to bring in someone more suited to acting as understudy/competition to Fletcher.

Behich is probably our best, most consistent, attacking threat and it will be very difficult to bring someone in of that quality if he leaves. Fwiw, I don't think he will leave.