The Dundee United Thread 22/23

39 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I like Fletcher as a player, but the way we play doesn't suit him, and we don't have the right kind of players to help him either.

He absolutely knocks his pan in when he plays, but we are definitely better without him at the moment. Although that's still not very good

Absolutely, I have no complaints about his efforts, and I cannot say that about every United player this season. However, our style of play does not suit him. It's almost as if we don't really know what we are doing.

Being bottom of the league for the six weeks of the World Cup is going to be fucking depressing though. We really need to beat Killie, but we won't. We'll get horsed at Pittodrie next Saturday.

Edited by Sarto Mutiny

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I like Fletcher as a player, but the way we play doesn't suit him, and we don't have the right kind of players to help him either.

He absolutely knocks his pan in when he plays, but we are definitely better without him at the moment. Although that's still not very good

I'd expect a player that' "absolutely knocks their pan in" to occasionally break out of a gentle jog.

Don't see it myself, but in fairness we have bigger problems than Fletcher 

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Having watched Sportscene, the keeper did make a couple of saves, so there is something there.  

Sportscene didn't show the raft of mistakes he made - most comically of all when Edwards injured him to the extent he was in need of treatment due to his own inability to command his box.

Truly dreadful (as is his compatriot)

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Clever, skilled, hard-working, very experienced, physically constrained striker with a controversial hairstyle who doesn't work as a lone centre-forward?

We had one of them. Having Nicky Clark around seems to help. 

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

The Keepers we have are nobodies first choice, just the only choices. 

The young lad (Newman is it?) must only have one arm and be registered blind or something.

We've actually got two fairly decently rated young keepers in Adams and Newman. I think they are still pretty raw though and not trusted for first team action. 

Eriksson looks like the less terrible of the two for me at the moment. I'd take the occasional rush of blood to the head or brain fart over not actually looking like a goalkeeper. Birighitti looks like an outfield player forced to play in goal - his technique is just bizarre at times and quite a few of the goals he's conceded have gone through his gloves like a playstation FIFA glitch.

47 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

We've actually got two fairly decently rated young keepers in Adams and Newman. I think they are still pretty raw though and not trusted for first team action. 

Yet Eriksson and Birighitti can be trusted.

I've never seen Newman play, but he'd really be going something special to be worse than those pair

Were the two keepers not meant to be great in their home leagues? Remember the hype round the Finnish keeper when he signed and he was apparently one of the best in the league. I was a bit suspect at the time considering he was joining up with you lot to be second choice at the time.

Then, Australian fans were absolutely beeling on Twitter when you signed Birighitti. You paid money for him and Jack Ross apparently pushed for it (who prior to joining you, seemed to have a good eye for a player).

Sort the keeper out and you'll still probably be safe.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Were the two keepers not meant to be great in their home leagues? Remember the hype round the Finnish keeper when he signed and he was apparently one of the best in the league. I was a bit suspect at the time considering he was joining up with you lot to be second choice at the time.

Then, Australian fans were absolutely beeling on Twitter when you signed Birighitti. You paid money for him and Jack Ross apparently pushed for it (who prior to joining you, seemed to have a good eye for a player).

Sort the keeper out and you'll still probably be safe.

I'm sure the Twitter stuff was all just @Twinkle & @ArabianKnight sleeper profiles. It was only ever the both of them talking them up.

Silly billy's