The Dundee United Thread 22/23

25 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Today's result won't help Mr Fox in his meeting with Ogren and Asghar.

It's probably more Asghars arse over the fire.

Hopefully.

Hes the one picking the dud managers and heading the recruitment drive.

Look at the two Keepers ffs. Good on paper, just like wee Kawashima was and that went really well.

Can't be bothered putting in too much effort into it (I may at some point though), but I wonder what our goalscoring record is like when Fletcher is on the park Vs Fletcher not on the park. I doubt either would make particularly good reading, but I suspect 'Fletcher not on the park' would come out on top.

A player who barely ever breaks out of a light jog and has an utterly abject scoring record in recent years - another one of our 'looks good on paper' signings.

I'm singling Fletcher out here which is a little unfair as I could write a thousand word essay about the rest of them in a very similar vein - except Sibbald, who interestingly was a signing that 'didn't look good on paper'

Just seen the goal again, don't know if Birigi...Bhiri...Bi....the keeper should do better or not. Its a powerful header right above his head from close range. My initial thoughts are he should push it over the bar rather than up but he's hardly got time to react. Seems to be what he's trying but makes a bit of an arse of it.

It seems harsh to single him out as no fucker goes out quick enough to close the cross down and the Motherwell player strolls from outside the box to the six yard box totally unmarked.

Fucking dire stuff all round.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

41 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Just seen the goal again, don't know if Birigi...Bhiri...Bi....the keeper should do better or not. Its a powerful header right above his head from close range. My initial thoughts are he should push it over the bar rather than up but he's hardly got time to react. Seems to be what he's trying but makes a bit of an arse of it.

It seems harsh to single him out as no fucker goes out quick enough to close the cross down and the Motherwell player strolls from outside the box to the six yard box totally unmarked.

Fucking dire stuff all round.

I wasn't at the game but reading the match reports the goal sounded like an absolute howler from the keeper. Pretty harsh imo. It would've been a bit of a worldy save had he tipped it over the bar.

7 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I wasn't at the game but reading the match reports the goal sounded like an absolute howler from the keeper. Pretty harsh imo. It would've been a bit of a worldy save had he tipped it over the bar.

It seems to me watching it, that the keeper does all he can and gets no help from his defenders. 

It's bad goalkeeping. He gets a full hand to it and that should be going over the bar every time.

Even if you don't take the word of one of the finest Sunday League goalies ever, just the fact you never ever see keepers doing that is enough to tell you it's a mistake.

There's a wee bit of me says it could happen to anyone but seeing as he has been shite since he arrived he doesn't get any benefit of the doubt.

He's still better than the other one though.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's bad goalkeeping. He gets a full hand to it and that should be going over the bar every time.

Even if you don't take the word of one of the finest Sunday League goalies ever, just the fact you never ever see keepers doing that is enough to tell you it's a mistake.

There's a wee bit of me says it could happen to anyone but seeing as he has been shite since he arrived he doesn't get any benefit of the doubt.

Is he though? Eriksson looks like a total bombscare on crosses and his defence are regularly shitting themselves because they’ve no idea what he’s going to do next… BUT he’s kept a few clean sheets and he seems to get away with a lot of his mistakes. 

I do think both keepers’ confidence is totally fucked, and they’re not helped by playing behind crap defences, especially when the team completely chucked it against Celtic & Alkmaar. Look at the difference in Benji when he first arrived and his form latterly, when the defence was much improved. Birighetti & Eriksson are both probably better than they’re showing at the moment. 

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I want Birighitti to be good, I really do, but I'm not optimistic.

His distribution can be really good and that can give us an extra dimension. But he also falls on his arse a lot when kicking the baw.

Him and Sibbald shouldn't be allowed on the pitch until they've had their boots checked to ensure they're wearing studs.

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

I want Birighitti to be good, I really do, but I'm not optimistic.

His distribution can be really good and that can give us an extra dimension. But he also falls on his arse a lot when kicking the baw.

Him and Sibbald shouldn't be allowed on the pitch until they've had their boots checked to ensure they're wearing studs.

The videos from Australia when we signed him gave me the absolute fear.

He looks like he can pull off worldys but also that he's got buttery gloves.

I'd be tempted to persevere with him although go's knows what mental state he will be in by 5 on Saturday.

Before the next game: stop playing a back 3, stop playing fullbacks as centrehalfs, stop playing Harkes, stop playing Djoum, stop allowing free headers in our box, stop allowing teams to put 50+ crosses in every game and finally, try to temp Hamish out of retirement as our 2 international keepers are fucking lousy. 

Jake Newman must be a truly awful goalkeeper if he can't dislodge Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

Second half was appallingly bad until we made the changes to our personnel. The team that finished that match should start on Wednesday. Meekison and Levitt gave us a bit more impetus and we actually got up the park on occasions, even yielding a goal. 

I'm absolutely mystified in what my fellow fans see in Fletcher. We were (not for the first time) visibly a lot better when he went off.

Two late goals and bottom of the league is heartbreaking, but I found something to be positive in those last 15 minutes. Big decisions for Fox on Wednesday re goalkeeper, Meekison, Levitt and Fletcher 

7 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Before the next game: stop playing a back 3, stop playing fullbacks as centrehalfs, stop playing Harkes, stop playing Djoum, stop allowing free headers in our box, stop allowing teams to put 50+ crosses in every game and finally, try to temp Hamish out of retirement as our 2 international keepers are fucking lousy. 

Thought Djoum was reasonable to be fair, but we were definitely better once we made those substitutions.

Agreed (as we all do) about our goalkeeping situation, which was patently obvious before the transfer window had shut and we done nothing about 

21 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Thought Djoum was reasonable to be fair, but we were definitely better once we made those substitutions.

Agreed (as we all do) about our goalkeeping situation, which was patently obvious before the transfer window had shut and we done nothing about 

Djoum seemed to be not too bad today tbf, and I agree about Fletcher - he has his qualities, but we're a better team when he doesn't play.

Unless we sign a goalkeeper in January, we will not stay up.

I like Fletcher as a player, but the way we play doesn't suit him, and we don't have the right kind of players to help him either.

He absolutely knocks his pan in when he plays, but we are definitely better without him at the moment. Although that's still not very good

18 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I like Fletcher as a player, but the way we play doesn't suit him, and we don't have the right kind of players to help him either.

He absolutely knocks his pan in when he plays, but we are definitely better without him at the moment. Although that's still not very good

Playing Fletcher as a lone striker is a waste of time, for him to be effective he needs a partner. Watt and Fletcher as a proper front 2 is our best chance of goals imo