The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 minute ago, mishtergrolsch said:

30 games left.

All to play for.

Too good to go down.

We'll kick on after Christmas.

Darren Jackson / Tony Watt guarantee.

Watchest for January transfer window.

There could be a pandemic. I believe the rule when that happens is that Hearts are automatically relegated

51 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

It's odd that we play with a defensive minded midfielder and we win a game. 

I wouldn't even say Sibbald is all that defensively minded, but he's leaps and bounds more switched on and tenacious than Harkes.

Edited by ArabFC

1 minute ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Sibbald was excellent. Why the hell has he not been playing?

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

I wouldn't even say Sibbald is all that defensively minded, but he's leaps and bounds more switched on and tenacious than Harkes.

That's why I said defensive minded, rather than defensive midfielder 🤣

Tbf I really like the combination of him and Levitt in midfield. If we had a baws out destroyer in there too it would be fairly potent. 

Sadly I think Djoum will be another Sibbald which might not be ideal. 

48 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Tbf I really like the combination of him and Levitt in midfield. If we had a baws out destroyer in there too it would be fairly potent. 

We need more than one guy who wants to get stuck in. None was too few; two might be fine.

34 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

We need more than one guy who wants to get stuck in. None was too few; two might be fine.

I mean more in the sense that he's not exactly a "defensive" player.. 

Noticed tonight Levitt lifted himself out the doldrums and was more active. 

6 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I mean more in the sense that he's not exactly a "defensive" player.. 

Noticed tonight Levitt lifted himself out the doldrums and was more active. 

Yeah, I can't mind Djoum at all, tbf. Presume he played in the Championship when were top flight and then top flight when we were Championship. 

His highlights are all goals, but then highlights tend to be goals. He's a big laddie and you'd hope he'd have a bit more dig than Levitt, Harkes and McGrath. If he's just another forward player then I wouldn't bother.

I heard Sibbald was having trouble with long Covid and has been struggling to get through training till recently.

If that's pish and he's been benched or dropped for no reason then its absolute madness to not have played him. He's miles better than Harkes at almost everything.

I heard Sibbald was having trouble with long Covid and has been struggling to get through training till recently.
If that's pish and he's been benched or dropped for no reason then its absolute madness to not have played him. He's miles better than Harkes at almost everything.
That explanation would make sense, I suppose. I know he struggled with long Covid last season, so it's probably not a shock that he hasn't shaken it off completely.

12 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Another Sibbald type wouldn't be a bad thing. If he's chipped in with a few goals and can get stuck in then a pairing of Djoum and Sibbald would give us the kind of dynamic Gomis and Prince did. Neither were really sitting defensive types, they broke up the play and could also play some really good stuff.

Could be a greater than the sum of the parts type thing imo.

Bonus that Harkes would be further away from the pitch too.

14 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Another Sibbald type wouldn't be a bad thing. If he's chipped in with a few goals and can get stuck in then a pairing of Djoum and Sibbald would give us the kind of dynamic Gomis and Prince did. Neither were really sitting defensive types, they broke up the play and could also play some really good stuff.

Could be a greater than the sum of the parts type thing imo.

Bonus that Harkes would be further away from the pitch too.

Can't disagree with any of this. A midfield trio of Sibbald, Levitt and Djoum would be a handy one! 

Only problem is how to set the rest of the team up around them... 

Because I actually really liked the thinking behind using Smith and McMann last night and it lead to a lot of our fluidity. The result was great but watching Levitt look a bit more like his usual standards and seeing some good football played might be worth that conundrum. 

38 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Can't disagree with any of this. A midfield trio of Sibbald, Levitt and Djoum would be a handy one! 

Only problem is how to set the rest of the team up around them... 

Because I actually really liked the thinking behind using Smith and McMann last night and it lead to a lot of our fluidity. The result was great but watching Levitt look a bit more like his usual standards and seeing some good football played might be worth that conundrum. 

Well, it would be Fox's problem, not ours!

But for the harder games a 3 of Djoum, Sibbald and Levitt with McGrath just ahead maybe? With one of Fletcher or Watt playing up front depending on who suits the occasion?

And for playing wee teams like last night we'd only have one of Sibbald or Djoum playing in the same line up?

Maybe even get to play 4 at the back now there's some protection with Sibbald coming back in!?

5 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Well, it would be Fox's problem, not ours!

But for the harder games a 3 of Djoum, Sibbald and Levitt with McGrath just ahead maybe? With one of Fletcher or Watt playing up front depending on who suits the occasion?

And for playing wee teams like last night we'd only have one of Sibbald or Djoum playing in the same line up?

Maybe even get to play 4 at the back now there's some protection with Sibbald coming back in!?

I'd keep the back 3 the way it was last night. Offers mobile defenders with one holding. 

4 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Aye the back 3 will work better but if / when we need to change things up we have that option.

We seem to have stumbled upon a system that works, so I wouldn't make any changes unless we had to.