The Dundee United Thread 22/23

To me, the Tony Watt statement kind of sums up a major part of the problem at Tannadice at the moment (and is very similar to the lead up to the Banter Years). 

We'll be fine. There's no problem and we're too good/big a team to down. Head in the sand stuff.

Sorry, Tony, but we've all seen this before and we're all still (rightly) highly twitchy about the whole relegation thing. Once the team is in the habit of downing tools and employing the mental gymnastics of "we're too good to go down" it's the end of January and we're bottom, 9 points behind County who've brought in the usual squad load to fly up the league and we're fucked.

Why don't you and your team mates start fighting tooth and nail on the pitch for 90 minuites to show us you're too good to go down. And while you're at it, tell Mr. Asghar, Liam Fox, Tams old Dell Inspiron or Jackie's Tombola machine or whoever the f**k is in charge of recruitment to find a big nutter of a midfielder general to start crushing skulls on the park please.

Honest to f**k...

Arnaud Djoum being mentioned elsewhere, former Hearts midfielder. 
Positives: defensive midfielder, negatives: 33 year old who hasn’t played much recently. 
Don’t know if anything in it but you would sincerely hope the club are looking at potential free agents to fill the gaping hole in midfield. 

19 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Arnaud Djoum being mentioned elsewhere, former Hearts midfielder. 
Positives: defensive midfielder, negatives: 33 year old who hasn’t played much recently. 
Don’t know if anything in it but you would sincerely hope the club are looking at potential free agents to fill the gaping hole in midfield. 

Not bothered about age really as long as hes fit enough to play games. I haven't looked him up but id guess he's not had a pre season so would be behind on fitness however if he can do the basics required then I'm on board.

Maybe/probably Arnaud Djoum has been a name one supporter picked out of the Transfermarkt list of uncontracted players as an uneducated guess.

Doubt that there's anything in it, but the way these stories pick up pace indicates how the fans can see the glaring gap in our squad (or at least starting eleven). No doubt the management team identify this too, and it's not unreasonable to expect they do something about it sooner rather than later.

7 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Maybe/probably Arnaud Djoum has been a name one supporter picked out of the Transfermarkt list of uncontracted players as an uneducated guess.

Doubt that there's anything in it, but the way these stories pick up pace indicates how the fans can see the glaring gap in our squad (or at least starting eleven). No doubt the management team identify this too, and it's not unreasonable to expect they do something about it sooner rather than later.

It wouldn’t have been unreasonable to see it before the season started.  You don’t need to be a seasoned football manager to see it’s a position that desperately needed filled.

On 02/10/2022 at 08:12, SGMilne said:

Presumably in the absence of a manager, a bid came in and an opportunity to sell a guy who was on a high wage and was likely already earmarked to leave came in, so they accepted it?

Or said deal was already in the planning, and the finishing touches were finalised shortly after Ross departed?

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

One positive this week is that County and Killie are also both awful, so really we only need to be slightly less shite than them, and we’ll be OK…

So are Livi and St. Johnstone and they both beat us without too much bother

Or said deal was already in the planning, and the finishing touches were finalised shortly after Ross departed?
On Twitter the Venn diagram of United fans who claimed for the last two seasons that Nicky Clark was not good enough for us and United fans who are raging that Nicky Clark was sold would be a perfect circle.

Unless I've miscalculated, United are one point better off this season when compared to last season's corresponding figures (swapping Killie for Dundee): clutching at straws possibly, but we lost all the equivalent games last season apart from the one at Dens (a draw).

The 'improvement' this term is winning a point at Motherwell, where last season Tony Watt scored in a 1-0 victory for 'Well.

On the list of this season's fixtures, if matches were replicated, our first matching win would be against Aberdeen...... it's a sign!

Probably a sign of madness.

7 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Unless I've miscalculated, United are one point better off this season when compared to last season's corresponding figures (swapping Killie for Dundee): clutching at straws possibly, but we lost all the equivalent games last season apart from the one at Dens (a draw).

The 'improvement' this term is winning a point at Motherwell, where last season Tony Watt scored in a 1-0 victory for 'Well.

On the list of this season's fixtures, if matches were replicated, our first matching win would be against Aberdeen...... it's a sign!

Probably a sign of madness.

I like the cut of your jib. I am not sure I believe it, but I like it.