The Dundee United Thread 22/23

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Were you not in politics once?

^^^ defending person who goes to work in a country that outlaws homosexuality.  Jesus Christ.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

^^^ defending person who goes to work in a country that outlaws homosexuality.  Jesus Christ.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates

Really strange reasoning on why to disagree with someone.

Man works in country with shit laws so therfore must be ignored.

I worked in Russia, UAE and Yemen, doesn't make me a c**t though. (Probably being a Dee on this thread does.) Just because someone works there doesn't mean they agree with the mindset.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Really strange reasoning on why to disagree with someone.

Man works in country with shit laws so therfore must be ignored.

I worked in Russia, UAE and Yemen, doesn't make me a c**t though. (Probably being a Dee on this thread does.) Just because someone works there doesn't mean they agree with the mindset.

Unless you had no other option it does.  I can understand why you wouldn’t want to acknowledge that though.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

I came into this thread to check up on how things are going at United.  I've read the last couple of days posts and wtf.

The international break is like a mini closed season and you know how fucked up P&B threads get then.

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Unless you had no other option it does.  I can understand why you wouldn’t want to acknowledge that though.

What a load of shite you talk sometimes. Working in the oil industry (oh no another moral black mark) you go where the work is, you see the same squads of folk whether that be in Norway or Saudi Arabia. 

Don't know the point you are trying to make here chief?

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

What a load of shite you talk sometimes. Working in the oil industry (oh no another moral black mark) you go where the work is, you see the same squads of folk whether that be in Norway or Saudi Arabia. 

Don't know the point you are trying to make here chief?

What about people working in South Africa under apartheid or in Israel under the present apartheid?

Many choices we make in life have political implications though it’s easier to ignore them if it doesn’t suit.

If you choose to work in a country with an oppressive regime you are enabling that regime.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

What about people working in South Africa under apartheid or in Israel under the present apartheid?

Many choices we make in life have political implications though it’s easier to ignore them if it doesn’t suit.

If you choose to work in a country with an oppressive regime you are enabling that regime.

Therefore disregard their views on Scottish fitba. 

Sound argument.

I commissioned a pipeline in Yemen, that means I contributed to the oppression in the Arabian peninsula. Don't make me laugh.

I still sell oilfield equipment to the Saudis but from my office in Dundee, I must be the worst.

Edited by johnnydun

8 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Therefore disregard their views on Scottish fitba. 

Sound argument.

I commissioned a pipeline in Yemen, that means I contributed to the oppression in the Arabian peninsula. Don't make me laugh.

I still sell oilfield equipment to the Saudis but from my office in Dundee, I must be the worst.

Aye, but isn't that as you said earlier because your a Dee c**t on a United thread??😉

I misread that as selling oil to the Saudis and was almost extremely impressed!!

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Rather that than be a The Rangers fan imo.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

How simplistic a view of life you take.

14 hours ago, Alan_G said:

Colleagues in an authoritarian state with a monarchy and no freedom of speech didn't like people openly mocking a monarchy? I am shocked, shocked I tell ye.

I think it is a bit of a stretch to think that I/the group of lawyers (from Australia, the UK, India etc.) that I work with have somehow lost our ability to form rational opinions because we are temporarily resident in the UAE, but I take that on board - maybe I view things differently from out here than I did back home.  Either way, to reiterate what I said above, I have no problem with people protesting against the Queen, the monarchy, the forced mourning or anything else - singing a "Lizzy's in a box" song just seemed, from my viewpoint, a very crass way of doing that. 

13 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

It's not a huge shock that people who live in countries where even mild criticism of the monarchy can get you jailed forever are shocked by criticism of the monarchy in this country, in whatever form that takes

I've got no problem with criticism of the monarchy but that wasn't my point - it was the way that a minority of Arabs chose to do that that I have a problem with.  In my view, it has cast the club in a negative light a wide range of people.

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Someone earning his living in a place like the UAE lecturing us on morality is a fucking joke.

As far as I could see, most on the thread are having a sensible discussion about whether or not the few Arabs that made headlines at the weekend had overstepped a line of common decency and were singing in really poor taste; or were acting reasonably in winding up Rangers fans, protesting the monarchy and voicing their displeasure at an odd period of forced mourning in the UK.  

Some are saying one thing, some are saying the other.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Unless you had no other option it does.

My wife was seconded to the UAE by her European employer and I chose to move to keep my family together.  Like most places I've lived, it has pros and cons.

Does your residency in the UK mean that you support the Tory Government and all of their laws?

10 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Working in the oil industry (oh no another moral black mark) you go where the work is, you see the same squads of folk whether that be in Norway or Saudi Arabia. 

Precisely.  Some of us do not have the privilege to work where we choose (otherwise I'd be typing this from an apartment in Manhattan and planning my weekend in the Hamptons!).

Anyway, it looks like Liam Fox is getting the job, with Stevie Crawford as his assistant - at least we can all agree that's an underwhelming appointment (if it happens) but that we'll back him 100% (until we lose our first game...).

5 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

Anyway, it looks like Liam Fox is getting the job, with Stevie Crawford as his assistant - at least we can all agree that's an underwhelming appointment (if it happens) but that we'll back him 100% (until we lose our first game...).

Your posts are usually very balanced and reasonable but Joe, ffs, what's this utter nonsense? New managers...100%? Maybe till the first interview which is picked apart. From then he's a fucking idiot and needs punted.

That's why nobody should listen to you. Nowt to do with the UAE or oil rubbish. You're just a nutter!

Ps remember, Stevie Crawford has already been a failure at United and Fox was part of the failed Jack Ross era...err...well...month...this appointment has failure is written all over it.

2 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Your posts are usually very balanced and reasonable but Joe, ffs, what's this utter nonsense? New managers...100%? Maybe till the first interview which is picked apart. From then he's a fucking idiot and needs punted.

That's why nobody should listen to you. Nowt to do with the UAE or oil rubbish. You're just a nutter!

Ps remember, Stevie Crawford has already been a failure at United and Fox was part of the failed Jack Ross era...err...well...month...this appointment has failure is written all over it.

Such is my desire to wipe Crawford's playing career from my memory that I deleted the sentence "let's hope he's a better assistant manager than he was a player for us" - we paid 80,000 for him!! 

I have no idea how good an appointment Liam Fox will be - I know so little about the guy that I find it very hard to make judgment.  All I know is that every time we fire a manager I make the point on here that we have an absolutely abysmal record of hiring managers (since McLean left the club in 1993, how many successful hires have there been?) - and that there is little to suggest that the board at the club are any better at choosing a manager than a monkey would...

And yes, someone will already be digging through Liam Fox's old Tweets and will no doubt find one from about 2011 that suggests he might possibly have wanted Rangers/Dundee/Roma to win a game and he will already be on borrowed time.  At least he won't have a ridiculous recruiter-style LinkedIn profile like our Tam did! 

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Danger lecturing everyone else on life choices after voting for Brexit then fucking off to a Spanish Island for the rest of his life is quite the stance

To be fair, that showed forward planning as he didn't want you scummy Brits spoiling his idyllic life in the tropics.