Jump to content

The Dundee United Thread 22/23


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Would they pay it off or just continue to pay him his salary as normal. It sounds from 'relieved of his duties' that he's still employed just asked not to manage the team. 

I'm guessing they will say you can get your full contract paid over the original period or take 75% as a one off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone will have an opinion on this, and I reckon that's a reflection on how Ross' career has developed. Some coaches go about their business in a fairly low-key manner, but JR has always had a high profile persona, and seems to have courted that.

As a result, a certain mythology has grown around him, and folk have been monitoring his progress closely, many harbouring a hope that he'll fall on his arse. 

My view is that his previous (relative) success relied heavily on his coaching and backroom colleagues.  He is a figurehead type. Articulate and polished. More style than substance.

He'll be a Sky pundit within a month.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

This is something I never get. In what other job would you be sacked for being bad at your job and get a pay off. Football contracts are mental. 

If it had been an "ordinary" job he'd be given time to improve, offered retraining, support from a mentor etc. In football that tends not to happen. The terms of his contract have been broken by early termination, like any other manager he is due payment for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Scott Parker sacked by Bournemouth.  Managers should take note, to stay in a job don't lose 9-0.

That’s the sort of advice that you can only get on Pie and Bovril.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Drooper said:

Everyone will have an opinion on this, and I reckon that's a reflection on how Ross' career has developed. Some coaches go about their business in a fairly low-key manner, but JR has always had a high profile persona, and seems to have courted that.

As a result, a certain mythology has grown around him, and folk have been monitoring his progress closely, many harbouring a hope that he'll fall on his arse. 

My view is that his previous (relative) success relied heavily on his coaching and backroom colleagues.  He is a figurehead type. Articulate and polished. More style than substance.

He'll be a Sky pundit within a month.  

I think this is a really good observation. His stock hit its height at St Mirren and has come crashing down since. 

I can't see where his next job is because his reputation has been damaged so much but his ego will still be fighting him to drop down the leagues. So, aye, pundit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tannadeechee said:

Ross said after the win over AZ Alkmaar


"“Maybe I should call it quits now — I know from experience, this job doesn’t always continue to go well,” laughed Ross. 

Who knew at the time this would be one of the truest statements said during this season.

Well and truly jinxed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is something I never get. In what other job would you be sacked for being bad at your job and get a pay off. Football contracts are mental. 

You don’t sign a contract at your work for a period of time. Hence why it’s different and needs to be paid up.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Scott Parker sacked by Bournemouth.  Managers should take note, to stay in a job don't lose 9-0.

No doubt exactly what the QOS manager is thinking this morning before he (literally) parks the bus at Ibrox this evening ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Aufc said:


You don’t sign a contract at your work for a period of time. Hence why it’s different and needs to be paid up.

Apart from FTC. Main difference is a lot of 'normal' jobs have a probationary period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I mean, wasn’t it obvious that a team with Harkes, Middleton and McGrath would lack a bit of steel and fight? I don’t see a single player in the United squad who would show a bit of fight.

Add in Levitt, Meekison, Cudjoe, Sibbald and Watt and we have a whole midfield who are wanting to play in the 3 behind the striker or are central midfielders who are better going forward than defending. 

Completely unbalanced and Ashgar has to take a lot of the criticism for this.  

 

Edited by low-life
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I mean, wasn’t it obvious that a team with Harkes, Middleton and McGrath would lack a bit of steel and fight? I don’t see a single player in the United squad who would show a bit of fight.

He had the same issue at Hibs. Built a soft as shite team who couldn’t handle a bit of adversity. Soon as we went a goal down we were beaten more often than not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I wonder why it doesn’t have the standard “we would like to thank Jack and his staff for the hard work they’ve put in for the club and wish them well in the future.”

To be fair to Jack Ross, he didn't actually bring m(any) of his own choices on board. But aye, it looks a far from 'mutual agreement' type statement.

28 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Would they pay it off or just continue to pay him his salary as normal. It sounds from 'relieved of his duties' that he's still employed just asked not to manage the team. 

Think the salary will be paid as normal, as you suggest. Doubt he'll get another job at a similar level, so it seems unlikely there's an agreement that he is paid until he takes another position, unless he's very lucky.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's absurd to be sacking a manager so soon but this had turned so badly so quickly. God knows what Ross has done that has managed to hack off a group of players so fast who were trying for Tam Courts last season.

Even if it turns out Ross has been a massive arsehole and clashed with folk left, right and centre, the lack of effort or professional pride in the last few games has been shocking.

The squad have gotten what they wanted, as they were always going to, especially with the transfer window about to shut. But the last month has left very few of them with any credit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

He’ll maybe take the Dundee job now when it comes up.

Wouldn't put it past Nelms to approach him for the third time. First was in 2017 before McCann took the job full time, second was after McGhee was let go but who knows if he was spoken to after McPake was sacked. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, captainkev said:

It's absurd to be sacking a manager so soon but this had turned so badly so quickly. God knows what Ross has done that has managed to hack off a group of players so fast who were trying for Tam Courts last season.

Even if it turns out Ross has been a massive arsehole and clashed with folk left, right and centre, the lack of effort or professional pride in the last few games has been shocking.

The squad have gotten what they wanted, as they were always going to, especially with the transfer window about to shut. But the last month has left very few of them with any credit.

Say what you want about Courts but he clearly had the team operating and playing for him. 

Who ever comes in needs to sign a couple of defensively minded players at a minimum and get a couple of players out on loan so the squad isn't so unbalanced. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • TheGreenElves changed the title to The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...