The Dundee United Thread 22/23

53 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

No idea.

However, you don’t need to rush into buying.

Reserve a hotel on a site like booking.com that lets you cancel free of charge.

And flight prices have gone up today as that’s what they do when there’s a bunch of sales. But Schipol Airport (daft as it may sound) is basically the UK’s hub airport so there’ll be no problem getting flights - you might have to go via somewhere to get there but there’ll be cheapest flights available still - I’m fairly sure.

Scrapped the whole thing now.

Travelling to the Netherlands with proof of vaccination

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/requirements-for-proof-of-vaccination

3 hours ago, steve55 said:

Cheap flights too, trying to book one now.

2 hours ago, steve55 said:

Dont want to book flight and Hotel and not get a ticket.

1 hour ago, steve55 said:

Scrapped the whole thing now.

Travelling to the Netherlands with proof of vaccination

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/requirements-for-proof-of-vaccination

f**k sake.

:lol:

What can we expect of Shankland then guys? I've never paid too much attention tbh outside that he struggled a bit with the step up to the Premiership and his all round game was a bit lacking, but I also understand Mellon's team were very negative so it's not particularly easy to stand out. Do you think he's a better player than given credit for, or subscribe to the school of thought that he still needs to prove himself at the higher level?

The thing with Shankland to me was that he needed a few games to get going. So if you guys are going to swap him around then he might not be up to much. If he gets a regular game his finishing will get you goals. Not sure he needs brilliant service either.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

Cheers guys. The quote about him needing games worries me a bit as I expect we'll rotate quite heavily with our involvement in Europe so he won't start every week. I think we are looking at a minimum 25 games before the WC shut down though so he'll hopefully be sharp enough. We made lots of chances last season though and weren't anywhere near clinical enough, fingers crossed he's the guy to take them.

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

What can we expect of Shankland then guys? I've never paid too much attention tbh outside that he struggled a bit with the step up to the Premiership and his all round game was a bit lacking, but I also understand Mellon's team were very negative so it's not particularly easy to stand out. Do you think he's a better player than given credit for, or subscribe to the school of thought that he still needs to prove himself at the higher level?

Has he officially signed for Hearts?

1 hour ago, Tony Wonder said:

He should be able to do it at Premiership level but wont obviously be a 30 goal a season man like he was in the Championship.

I never actually thought his all round game was lacking.  His link up play and work, both tracking back and running the channels, was always very good for us.  The issue was with the way Mellon set up - he was basically the furthest forward defender for us.  We created nothing for him (pretty sure there was a run of around 4/5 games where he legitimately only had one sight of goal) and he was having to pick up or win the ball very, very deep.

As has been said, he isnt helped by being in and out a team.  His injuries in the Mellon season didnt help and he probably wouldnt take well to being rotated.