The Dundee United Thread 22/23

How fucking ridiculous some of the comments on here are...

If you look at the last 6 games, they include two versus the Old Firm, one of those games being away at Ibrox with a team of kids and being unlucky to lose 1-0.

They also include an away defeat at Motherwell where I personally thought the weather was fucking atrocious and cannae blame anyone much for not being on form.

Yes we've been poor in a few of the last 6, but I'm not going to call for Courts head. 

How is it possible for folk on here to call Harkes, Pawlett and McNulty a shower of shite, yet still blame Courts for shite results? Surely it's not his fault if he has shite at his disposal? 

50 minutes ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

If you look at the last 6 games, they include two versus the Old Firm, one of those games being away at Ibrox with a team of kids and being unlucky to lose 1-0.

They also include an away defeat at Motherwell where I personally thought the weather was fucking atrocious and cannae blame anyone much for not being on form.

Yes we've been poor in a few of the last 6, but I'm not going to call for Courts head. 

How is it possible for folk on here to call Harkes, Pawlett and McNulty a shower of shite, yet still blame Courts for shite results? Surely it's not his fault if he has shite at his disposal? 

is Courts not picking these guys?  He could (and should) be picking others.  FWIW I don't think they are necessarily sh1te but you can't really argue with the form being sh1te. The Rangers game surely showed that there are others he can call on.

1 hour ago, Finn Seemann said:

Have I said you said he's 'the Messiah'?

Yes, implicitly. But I get it, you didn't want Courts and dislike Asghar.

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Arab said:

True about some of the matches, but it's the lack of goal action which concerns me. Two goals in these matches, one a goal of the season contender from the substitute Glass, and one OG, which, if the chance had fallen to a United player, might have missed the target.

And remember, I'm not wanting Courts out. I think he has made quite a few mistakes with tactics, selection and perhaps motivation in some of these fixtures though.

I personally think, now more than ever, United have to show their ambition by spending. Ogren has to be sitting looking at Hearts signing some real coups (Baningame, the two Aussies), Aberdeen signing the young American, Hibs signing the other American and the young lad from Bodo/Glimt, and must seriously be worried about the task in hand. 

Slate Big Tony all you want, but I genuinely think the structure of the club is excellent. United SEEM to have a strategic scouting system, but other than the young Ghanaian, we've not signed anyone else that Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts would have. All United fans think of us being part of the bigger 4 out with the Old Firm, but we're seriously lagging behind. 

I do believe we'll sign Kevin McDonald and I think he'll be a class act for us, so hoping the midfield up their level of service for strikers, but we NEED a winger (or two) and there doesn't seem to be any talk of one coming in. 

If Biamou, Fuchs and Benji leave, you'd think we will definitely bring in one or two.

It's certainly right to be questioning Courts -

Without getting into the realms of tactics within matches, a few examples of why fans are right to be concerned

1 - Bizarre man management of Declan Glass.

2 - Niskanen went visibly, and alarmingly backwards under his stewardship.

3 - Signing the league's top scorer only to consign him to the bench in lieu of a guy just back from a bad injury and zero goals to his name this season.

4 - Substitutions which, earlier in the season were being made (unlike his predecessor) early in a game (eg v St Johnstone) are noticeably taking place much later (v St Mirren on Tuesday despite a horrific first half, no subs at HT, despite being afforded the luxury of 5 subs)

I'm not champing at the bit for his sacking, but tomorrow is a big day for him.

Without getting into the realms of tactics within matches, a few examples of why fans are right to be concerned
3 - Signing the league's top scorer only to consign him to the bench in lieu of a guy just back from a bad injury and zero goals to his name this season.
4 - Substitutions which, earlier in the season were being made (unlike his predecessor) early in a game (eg v St Johnstone) are noticeably taking place much later (v St Mirren on Tuesday despite a horrific first half, no subs at HT, despite being afforded the luxury of 5 subs)

no 3 your absolutely bang on,wtf was that all about,watt would have been raring to go and also fit as a fiddle

23 minutes ago, Baldie1980 said:
34 minutes ago, Steven W said:

no 3 your absolutely bang on,wtf was that all about,watt would have been raring to go and also fit as a fiddle

Courts claims the players were told the starting lineup prior to Watt signing as he didn’t expect to happen so quickly, could be bollocks though. 

8 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Courts claims the players were told the starting lineup prior to Watt signing as he didn’t expect to happen so quickly, could be bollocks though. 

In which case

5 - picking starting lineups 24 hours ahead of matches kicking off and refusing to change them in the intervening period

5 minutes ago, Steven W said:

In which case

5 - picking starting lineups 24 hours ahead of matches kicking off and refusing to change them in the intervening period

With due respect I don’t think he could say to McNulty get yourself ready your starting then the next day tell him benched.

Could have brought Watt on at half time though. 

1 hour ago, Junior_Arab said:

I’m not a massive fan of Courts, but it’s hardly unheard of for a guy who’s just in the door and barely even trained with his new team mates to start on the bench. 

Nor me. And I’d have been more surprised and worried to see Watt straight into the starting XI.

Most managers will have an idea of their team days in advance and will be setting them up with that in mind in training.

What like is Chalmers? I recognise the name but don’t ever remember seeing him playing. Our record of actually playing youngsters on loan from Premiership clubs isn’t great.