The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
2 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:
Yeah hmmmm not much to say really. Cautiously optimistic that this is a sort of building from the back approach. 
That's two clean sheets in a row tbf and the goalie getting plaudits for his saves. 
On the other hand it's insipid slow pish where the team has literally two international quality strikers up front and there wasn't a shot on target. 

Yup. Risk averse football might be the way to go, and 6th place after 12 games is pretty good...but it's a tough watch and feels like an awful waste of Lawrence Shankland

Tough watch is as kind as it could possibly be put.

Utterly brutal, anti-football, shiftfestyourwaytapoint is my description of the past few games.

Without a decent goalie, that doesn’t work, thank f**k for Benji.

I agree with others, 2 points from the last 6 is not too bad, and I have been on here for the past few years dreaming about Premiership mid-table mediocrity, but fucking hell, this has been brutal to watch over the past few weeks.

What I don’t understand is that we played some really decent stuff early on in the season... What has changed?

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Our next three league games include fixtures against the bottom two clubs both of whom are really struggling.

I will be interested to see our points tally come 5pm four weeks from now.

Our match today was against the team third bottom and we played it like we were playing Bayern Munich.

I'm all confused as it feel weird to moan about a team in 6th place but it's fucking brutal.

I moaned a lot about us under Neilsen, despite the league position, as we were shite. We aren't shite now we are doing exactly what we are set up to do but it's horrible to watch.

Our next three league games include fixtures against the bottom two clubs both of whom are really struggling.
I will be interested to see our points tally come 5pm four weeks from now.

3 points

0-0
0-0
0-0

3 hours ago, MacArab said:

What I don’t understand is that we played some really decent stuff early on in the season... What has changed?

Clearly confidence is down with either the management staff or the players. Or both.

That being said we are getting points on the board. But we will be scraping survival if we don't pick up soon.

Edited by Mvondo_the_great

We had something like 20 attempts on goal at Killie and got pumped 4 nil, the last couple of games we have barely mustered an attempt but picked up 2 points in games where beforehand most people with have accepted a draw. The football has been chronic but I think there has been a realisation from MM that a lot of the current squad are just not good enough, his interviews have changed from ‘we are Dundee United, we where Champions last season’ to ‘we are playing at a higher level and need time to adapt’. As bombscare as our defence is if they just concentrate on defending and don’t try to play football they might just about do, our biggest problem lies in midfield with Butcher, Harkes and Pawlett all being utter garbage recently and while Powers may possibly be one of the slowest moving players ever he retained the ball far better than the other 3 have. Once Fuchs is ready to play and Sporle and Chalmers return from injury hopefully these additional options will see underperforming players benched. My view at the start of the season was anything above 10th was a successful return to the top flight, if we have to shitfest our way through to January we can then look at hopefully bringing in a better quality of player that will allow us to move away from the eye bleeding displays we are having to endure just now. 

1 hour ago, skinny arab said:

We had something like 20 attempts on goal at Killie and got pumped 4 nil, the last couple of games we have barely mustered an attempt but picked up 2 points in games where beforehand most people with have accepted a draw. The football has been chronic but I think there has been a realisation from MM that a lot of the current squad are just not good enough, his interviews have changed from ‘we are Dundee United, we where Champions last season’ to ‘we are playing at a higher level and need time to adapt’. As bombscare as our defence is if they just concentrate on defending and don’t try to play football they might just about do, our biggest problem lies in midfield with Butcher, Harkes and Pawlett all being utter garbage recently and while Powers may possibly be one of the slowest moving players ever he retained the ball far better than the other 3 have. Once Fuchs is ready to play and Sporle and Chalmers return from injury hopefully these additional options will see underperforming players benched. My view at the start of the season was anything above 10th was a successful return to the top flight, if we have to shitfest our way through to January we can then look at hopefully bringing in a better quality of player that will allow us to move away from the eye bleeding displays we are having to endure just now. 

Pretty much my thoughts on the whole thing. 

Maybe we should actually be praising the manager for identifying the failings of the players and playing to their capabilities rather than moaning about the eye bleeding football. 

If they go all out and get drubbed every week we would all be lamenting that they are defensive enough! 

As always though there's a balance to be struck and hopefully we can keep the shut outs going but actually create some goal scoring chances too. 

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Pretty much my thoughts on the whole thing. 

Maybe we should actually be praising the manager for identifying the failings of the players and playing to their capabilities rather than moaning about the eye bleeding football. 

If they go all out and get drubbed every week we would all be lamenting that they are defensive enough! 

As always though there's a balance to be struck and hopefully we can keep the shut outs going but actually create some goal scoring chances too. 

We won’t achieve anything by hoping for it, only by tactical changes.  Whilst a finish 10th or above is something I think every Arab on here would accept I’m not sure that will happen if we cannot find a style of play that gets service into a striker who is known to be capable of scoring given the chance.

4 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Once Fuchs is ready to play and Sporle and Chalmers return from injury hopefully these additional options will see underperforming players benched.

Lets ignore Fuchs for a second, given that we have no idea if he's any good yet.

Sporle and Chalmers are pure 'meh', and saying things will be better when they're available again is the ever-present delusion that somehow we'll eventually have a complete fully fit squad.

3 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

You mean like identifying a real weakness at the heart of the defence and bringing in Ryan Edwards to fix it? AND giving Connolly a 3year contract extension!

I'm a long long long way from calling for Mellon to go, but lest we forget, most fans wanted rid of Neilson BECAUSE OF THE EYE BLEEDING FITBA on offer.

Edited by ArabFC