The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Enjoying the presence of Hibs fans on here, considering we took 7 points off them this season. If their lot hadn't Hibsed it against us so often, they might have been looking forward to guaranteed group stage European football next season. Oh well

ETA: weird to think we took 23% of our points this season from three games against one team

Edited by Sarto Mutiny

22 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Pawlett, Edwards, Smith, Harkes and Newman are (as far as I'm aware) out of contract. None should be kept.

McGrath and Ayina were loans. Let's presume they're not coming back.

The clear-out begins. Does this mean Newman is getting a new deal? *shudders*

"Ryan Edwards, Peter Pawlett, Ian Harkes and Liam Smith will all leave Dundee United this summer as their contracts end.

Loanees Jamie McGrath and Loick Ayina will return to their parent clubs, Wigan Athletic and Huddersfield Town."

13 hours ago, KillieKerr said:

So reminiscent of when Killie went down and we had Colin Doyle in nets, with his highlight of throwing the ball in against St Mirren. If the defence has no confidence in the keeper then the panic and fear spreads right through the team.

At end of the day confidence is a huge factor as the squad at Tannadice shouldn't be in the position they are in.

Hopefully a far more successful season next year for you guys.

I think I was at that game with Colin Doyle :lol: did he not let one straight through his legs? 

Confidence between the back line and the goalkeeper is crucial for any team. You could tell the Dundee United players had absolutely no confidence in the guy behind them. 

15 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

The clear-out begins. Does this mean Newman is getting a new deal? *shudders*

"Ryan Edwards, Peter Pawlett, Ian Harkes and Liam Smith will all leave Dundee United this summer as their contracts end.

Loanees Jamie McGrath and Loick Ayina will return to their parent clubs, Wigan Athletic and Huddersfield Town."

I wouldn't be against keeping Newman, but not as first choice. He's nowhere near ready for that, and it's not his fault he ended up being best of a bad bunch.

Newman certainly doesn't look ready to be second choice so if he's staying then it should be as third choice at best. Is that enough for him? I think it might be better for all concerned to let him find another club at a level more suited to his current ability and concentrate on bringing in a number 1 and experienced back-up. Ruaridh Adams can step up to third choice.

Happened to Liam Smith? I thought he was a coup when you signed him and he always impressed me more than Freeman certainly did.

Has he always been shite for you or did he just turn to shite over night?

19 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Welcome to the Championship. Hopefully you lads have better pattern than some of the Dee boys. Jeezy peeps, as they say up your way.

You’re confusing us with St Mirren.

49 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I think I was at that game with Colin Doyle :lol: did he not let one straight through his legs? 

Confidence between the back line and the goalkeeper is crucial for any team. You could tell the Dundee United players had absolutely no confidence in the guy behind them. 

I think that was the season with no fans and it was Danny Rogers who carried the ball over his line. I think Doyle was in goals when we drew 3-3 near the end of the season when Killie really needed to win.

11 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Happened to Liam Smith? I thought he was a coup when you signed him and he always impressed me more than Freeman certainly did.

Has he always been shite for you or did he just turn to shite over night?

He was solid for the majority of his time here. Never spectacular, but a lot better than most gave him credit for.

This season he's been as poor as anyone else. Like Edwards, Smith stood out for obviously downing tools under Jack Ross. Having done that, he never really raised his performances back to an acceptable level after Ross was punted.

Liam Fox's determination to re-arrange our entire defence just to make sure Smith always started didn't really help our fanbase's mood towards the latter either.

8 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I think that was the season with no fans and it was Danny Rogers who carried the ball over his line. I think Doyle was in goals when we drew 3-3 near the end of the season when Killie really needed to win.

That's right, we'll see your "getting relegated with one shite goalkeeper" Dundee United...and raise you...

There was also the Scottish Cup quarter at home to you lot, where we were winning with 5 minutes to go, with the old firm already out, and Doyle struck.

The whole episode was just PTSD-inducing. We gave him a new deal as player/coach as well.

What's the deal with Tony Watt?

He really got 2 years left? Think he'd be decent in the Championship and he's a mercenary so won't leave unless he's getting more money.

Just now, Busta Nut said:

What's the deal with Tony Watt?

He really got 2 years left? Think he'd be decent in the Championship and he's a mercenary so won't leave unless he's getting more money.

Wouldn't be shocked to see him back at St Mirren