The Dundee United Thread 22/23

9 minutes ago, captainkev said:

We were spunking out 6 figure sums for the likes of Levitt and Birighitti last summer. There's not a chance anyone at United was even considering the possibility of relegation, nevermind planning responsibly for that worst-case scenario.

Wait… 

You spent a 6 figure sum on Birighitti?

He’s one of the worst keepers I’ve seen in the Premiership. And that’s a high bar

Levitt WAS a good signing. A coup.

I’d happily see him at Pittodrie 

I read on an Aussie forum at the time that fans of Birighitti's old club were not happy he was leaving, but at least the club got a decent fee.

It's one of the more bizarre signings of my time following Utd, particularly given that he remained first choice for most of the season despite clearly being not up to it.

On 28/05/2023 at 19:46, Thenorthernlight said:

Wait… 

You spent a 6 figure sum on Birighitti?

He’s one of the worst keepers I’ve seen in the Premiership. And that’s a high bar

Levitt WAS a good signing. A coup.

I’d happily see him at Pittodrie 

Around £150K seems to be the most commonly agreed upon figure.

You'll get no argument from me there. He's the worst I've ever seen at United, and I'm including a couple of the stinkers we had in our last Championship stint.

Edited by captainkev

On 10/07/2022 at 19:12, RossBFaeDundee said:

Tbf I don't see how United should struggle in qualifying for Europe again, as I very much have my doubts that Hibs and Aberdeen are back where they "should" be. Fourth is certainly a very realistic outcome (as much as I dislike saying it).

Egg my on face 😅

Preseason chat makes for an enjoyable read, don't know if I've ever seen anyone go from hero to zero quite like Ryan Edwards.

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I've never seen anyone go from hero to zero quite like Ryan Edwards.

Equally so, the "Sibbald is a terrible signing. McGrath is a million times better" brigade sure look silly now!

54 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

It's one of the more bizarre signings of my time following Utd, particularly given that he remained first choice for most of the season despite clearly being not up to it.

My theory has always been that the club put Fox under pressure to reinstate Birighitti back into the starting line-up precisely because we'd paid a fee for him. The club didn't want to see that investment stuck sitting on the bench and Fox, aware he'd lucked his way into the job, didn't have the spine to refuse.

Eriksson, dodgy in his own right make no mistake, didn't cost us nearly as much in his stint in goal as Birighitti has consistently for months. Yet Eriksson still lost his place by early November and was then loaned out in January, despite Birighitti managing to cram in several more clangers before the World Cup.

Edited by captainkev

I'm somewhat confused by this part:

we can now accelerate the work to ensure Dundee United returns to the top league as soon as possible.

"The first act was to secure Jim Goodwin as Manager..."

7 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I've just seen the Goodwin interview. It's an incredibly bold statement to come out and say "if you have a contract but want to leave it fine, just come to me and we will rip up your contract."

Bet Ogren told him to say that.😃

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Queued out the fucking door.

I can but dream. Hopefully none of them let the door hit them on the way out.

Just now, Archie McSquackle said:

Genuine question- have United fans seen any improvement under Goodwin as, from the outside, it doesn't seem like it. Particularly when you've just lost all five of your post-split games, giving him a two year deal seems really odd.

There was gradual improvement in performances that eventually turned into 3 consecutive wins taking us up to 10th going into the split. At that point it looked like he might just bail us out, but since then it's unbelievably bad. The Killie home game was a disgustingly pitiful showing in a season with no shortage of competition on that front.

Thoughts are with you @stumigoo, a good guy who now appears to wipe his hands of this forum. Shame, great positive poster, imho.

Your club owner now champions Jim Goodwin, which is fair comment in your current position. However after emptying Jack Ross last year and not the troublesome element of the dressing room, the easy option is now to appear the preferred avenue, oh dearie me.

As if I give a monkeys chuff, I'm Dark Blue after all. We do not even have a current playing staff, let alone any management strategy or formation.

Best regards and thanks for reading.

negan-twd.gif.04e16074d489672199fc27c63c466af8.gif

24 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I've just seen the Goodwin interview. It's an incredibly bold statement to come out and say "if you have a contract but want to leave it fine, just come to me and we will rip up your contract."

Tony Watt will surely take up the option. He doesnt want to go back

Just now, AW saint said:

Tony Watt will surely take up the option. He doesnt want to go back

I imagine the likes of McGrath, Levitt, Middleton etc will jump at the chance of walking out.

You'll have folk like Pawlett or Fletcher probably sticking around as they're on there last biggish paydays. (Fletcher will be an excellent player in the Championship).

31 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Why would anyone want their contract ripped up when they know they could negotiate a pay off?  They will all know that United can’t afford to keep them and they will be unlikely to get as good a deal anywhere else.

3 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I imagine the likes of McGrath, Levitt, Middleton etc will jump at the chance of walking out.

You'll have folk like Pawlett or Fletcher probably sticking around as they're on there last biggish paydays. (Fletcher will be an excellent player in the Championship).

McGrath is only on loan so he’ll be away back to Wigan - he’s been disappointing anyway.  I think Middleton will stay.  Levitt and Behich will probably want away, but we should be asking fees for them (albeit won’t get much).

Fletcher will possibly stick around if he thinks his body is up to it.

Birighitti was hopefully placed on the first flight to Australia after full time today and should never be spoken of again.