The Dundee United Thread 22/23

Meh.

Surprised it was so quick and disappointed there were no links to managers like Shteeve.

Could have done a lot worse but could probably have gotten better. 

Feels slightly lazy but he's probably better than the likes of McKinnon, Laszlo and Fox.

Will harshly judge his signings and stubbornly not give him any credit till we (if we) get promoted.

Meh.

While I'd certainly have been moving him on if I was the one making the decision, I can at least see what the argument for keeping him is. I don't see any logic in finalising it before the last day of the season. What if you lose 19-0 tomorrow as Van Veen finds a new record to break every 5 minutes and need to sack him?

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

While I'd certainly have been moving him on if I was the one making the decision, I can at least see what the argument for keeping him is. I don't see any logic in finalising it before the last day of the season. What if you lose 19-0 tomorrow as Van Veen finds a new record to break every 5 minutes and need to sack him?

Or they might win 10-2. You just never know eh?

Saying that it’s highly unlikely. I don’t think it’s ever happened before has it?

On 24/05/2023 at 21:51, ArabFC said:

The worst part about it is, now we're down (we are) you can have every faith that those in charge will make the worst possible choices going into next season.

Two years. Two fcuking years. They've given him a two year fcuking contract!

I'd say it defies belief, but at this point it just doesn't.

Can you hate your own club? I think I'm just about there. Well, that's not true. I hate those running the club and those making the decisions. Not entirely sure who they are though,

I’ll make a prediction. Jim Goodwin will lead Dundee United back to the top flight at first time of asking, and get bagged after a shitfest of a season back in the top flight. The Arabs BoD will release a statement along the lines of ‘we would like to thank Jim for all his efforts, especially in leading us back to the top flight, but results this season have been disappointing and we feel a change has to be made. The board will now take their time to assemble a list of prospective managerial candidates to ensure the right appointment is made to take us forward. We will make no further statement at this time’.

Bookmark this.

Edited by pozbaird

I'm ok with it. During the shitshow on Wednesday I was raging at how poor the performance was and felt he needed to go, but at some point, 3 managers in, you've got to say "It's the players who are at fault first and foremost".

Post-match, he impressed me because he's the first person to come out from United this season and say the recruitment was shite and that he knows what's needed to fix it. Now that in itself shouldn't be particularly impressive and it's being said at a point where he has nothing left to lose, but at this point, it actually does come off as impressive. 😅

You've got to ask yourself if it's better to create instability again, have another fresh pair of eyes come in and then only start to make transfer moves from when he first sees players at pre-season, or do we go with the guy who is in, let him get on with it from first thing on Monday morning and create some consistency.

I get Goodwin is a bit of a laughing stock from fans of other clubs because he hasn't exactly had a great season at his two clubs but he at least appears to have the correct ideas and hopefully is capable of learning from mistakes.

On top of all the players out of contract, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of players leave in short order, especially ones who other clubs will be interested in (Behic, Fletcher, Levitt, Niskanen - don't laugh, I know of at least one club who tried to sign him in January but couldn't get the work permit, Erikssen) and I wouldn't be surprised to see an A-League club take the worst player we've ever had back across to Australia. 

So if we sign correctly - sign experienced, hardened pros - to then allow some of our younger players get a consistent chance at first team level (Chalmers, Mochrie, Fotherigham, Meekison, Graham, Duffy, Hutchison, McLeod) - we might actually get to see some enjoyable football next season.

Watt, Mulgrew and Djoum may be a hard sell though...

Just now, SGMilne said:

I'm ok with it. During the shitshow on Wednesday I was raging at how poor the performance was and felt he needed to go, but at some point, 3 managers in, you've got to say "It's the players who are at fault first and foremost".

Post-match, he impressed me because he's the first person to come out from United this season and say the recruitment was shite and that he knows what's needed to fix it. Now that in itself shouldn't be particularly impressive and it's being said at a point where he has nothing left to lose, but at this point, it actually does come off as impressive. 😅

You've got to ask yourself if it's better to create instability again, have another fresh pair of eyes come in and then only start to make transfer moves from when he first sees players at pre-season, or do we go with the guy who is in, let him get on with it from first thing on Monday morning and create some consistency.

I get Goodwin is a bit of a laughing stock from fans of other clubs because he hasn't exactly had a great season at his two clubs but he at least appears to have the correct ideas and hopefully is capable of learning from mistakes.

On top of all the players out of contract, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of players leave in short order, especially ones who other clubs will be interested in (Behic, Fletcher, Levitt, Niskanen - don't laugh, I know of at least one club who tried to sign him in January but couldn't get the work permit, Erikssen) and I wouldn't be surprised to see an A-League club take the worst player we've ever had back across to Australia. 

So if we sign correctly - sign experienced, hardened pros - to then allow some of our younger players get a consistent chance at first team level (Chalmers, Mochrie, Fotherigham, Meekison, Graham, Duffy, Hutchison, McLeod) - we might actually get to see some enjoyable football next season.

Watt, Mulgrew and Djoum may be a hard sell though...

To be fair, he did always speak well with us but he also said the defence would be an easy fix.

31 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Or they might win 10-2. You just never know eh?

Saying that it’s highly unlikely. I don’t think it’s ever happened before has it?

By a league one club as well 😔

On 13/05/2023 at 20:50, Fifespud said:

Levein was on the radio tonight saying he didn’t take the job because he didn’t like the ‘set up’. The compère said ‘at least the sporting director’s gone’ now. And Levein said ‘has he?’!

Gotta ponder how much truth there is to this with the shitshow continuing.

39 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Two years. Two fcuking years. They've given him a two year fcuking contract!

I'd say it defies belief, but at this point it just doesn't.

Can you hate your own club? I think I'm just about there. Well, that's not true. I hate those running the club and those making the decisions. Not entirely sure who they are though,

Calm down, m8

He’s recently managed a club that has won two European trophies 

Credentials in spades 

Someone tell me how the f**k he has managed this. Genuinely.

Had Aberdeen stinking out the top flight and getting beat by Darvel. Takes over at United when they were on same points as us and are now 16 points behind. With a squad and budget that is top 6. 

Utterly baffling 🤷‍♂️