The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jim Goodwin was pleading for the job last night.

Because he wants to "right wrongs" of course, and not because he knows his next job otherwise will be something like Morton.

Morton, as you'll find out next season, are no bad, and wouldn't touch Goodloss with a really long pole thing.

Goodwin surely has had his last management gig, and surely you'll empty him when the dust settles.

3 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Morton, as you'll find out next season, are no bad, and wouldn't touch Goodloss with a really long pole thing.

Goodwin surely has had his last management gig, and surely you'll empty him when the dust settles.

He's a Saints fan, so no he won't be finding out next season. Ali fucking Crawford got game time for them, they can't be very good.

7 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Nah, he'll get the Falkirk job in November. 

21 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

In hindsight do you any of you wish Jack Ross was kept on?  

Not even hindsight.

On 29/08/2022 at 17:18, ArabFC said:

How many people on this thread posted Ross was gone in the last 24hrs? Did they know? Nope. They just went for a 50/50 in the hope of being seen as 'itk'. A rumour is born.

Opinions on the other hand are great. Crack on.

My opinion is that we should stick with him for now, and I get red-dotted to shit for it because I'm defo in the minority on that one! Do I care? No. It's actually quite illustrative.

It was always my view that the horrendous run of results was less Ross himself, but a couple of freak results that had ripped apart the confidence of the players.

Would he have ever turned it around? He had more chance of doing it than the junior coach we put in his place.

11 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Horsed at home without a whimper in a must-win game, by the team with the worst away record in the league, is the most fitting and thoroughly deserved way for this all to have finally ended.

Its even worse than that. You've been beaten by what is effectively a Championship team.

It was managerial suicide for Goodwin to jump straight back in to a job and especially this one. He's rightfully taken a large portion of the blame because United were by no means relegated when he took over; It's actually a minor miracle they've stayed in touch for so long. I don't really see where he goes from here and ultimately for United their remit for him was to stay in the division - can they really reward failure by keeping him? 

The keeper gets a lot of criticism - no wonder...but f**k me the mix of defenders in front of him are equally as catastrophic. That attempted mazy run out of the box last night from the defender... 

Do United fans want to keep Goodwin on?

Ending up relegated whilst burning through the amount of money as has been the case at Tannadice over the past few years, it's really not a question of managers IMO - that's really on the folk running the club and from the outside I've never been quite sure how Utd constantly make it look so difficult. 

Recruitment (both players and managers) is the main difference in this league and all teams make mistakes (my team giving Hammell the job this season is a perfect example) - but it feels that compared to almost everyone else, Utd have just fucked it completely over the past couple of years.

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Anybody got a list of players and when their contracts are up?

Obviously it would be nice if we able just to release most of them.

Newman, Edwards, Ayina, Smith, Harkes, McGrath, Pawlett, Fotheringham all up at the end of the month. The rest are 2024 apart from Middleton.

Would imagine Levitt and Behich will be sold. Birighitti will surely be deported and can't see Erikssson coming back. Fetcher is on a big wage so might move on if there are suitors. The likes of Djoum and Niskanen, God only knows. That leaves McMann, Freeman, Sibbald, Mulgrew (new manager will surely empty him?) and a load of young boys/returning loanees. Chalmers might be a good option for the Championship actually if he intends to hang around after a pretty successful time at Ayr, maybe Mochrie, Glass and Meekison too but who knows.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Recruitment (both players and managers) is the main difference in this league and all teams make mistakes (my team giving Hammell the job this season is a perfect example) - but it feels that compared to almost everyone else, Utd have just fucked it completely over the past couple of years.

The crazy thing is I felt far happier about the recruitment this summer than for many a year. Admittedly on the goalkeeper front we were just going off of reports that we were lucky to get him - yeah, I know!

But...

Fletcher - good signing

Behich - good signing

Levitt - good signing

McGrath - good signing

Sibbald - was the signing I was most 'meh' about but he's been one of our best players

Middleton - was welcomed because he was the kind of player we needed (hybrid wideman/forward)

Anaku - well, you always get a curveball

Birighitti - lol, who the fcuk knew?!

Edited by ArabFC

2 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Newman, Edwards, Ayina, Smith, Harkes, McGrath, Pawlett, Fotheringham all up at the end of the month. The rest are 2024 apart from Middleton.

Would imagine Levitt and Behich will be sold. Birighitti will surely be deported and can't see Erikssson coming back. Fetcher is on a big wage so might move on if there are suitors. The likes of Djoum and Niskanen, God only knows. That leaves McMann, Freeman, Sibbald, Mulgrew (new manager will surely empty him?) and a load of young boys/returning loanees. Chalmers might be a good option for the Championship actually if he intends to hang around after a pretty successful time at Ayr, maybe Mochrie, Glass and Meekison too but who knows.

I don't honestly believe any of these kids are good enough. Chalmers is 23 and at his level so may as well be kept about as a squad option.

The only one from those out of contact I'd keep would be McGrath, but he won't want to stay anyway.

Mulgrew has to go. I'd be releasing half the players with a year left.

Hell of a rebuild.

19 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Should've backed Ross and punted all of the trouble makers in the dressing room. IMO.

You feeling alright? First sensible thing I've read from you on a United thread!!

Totally agree with you Mulgrew,  Clark, Smith and Watt were the ringleaders and all should have been binned. But that would have meant replacing them not just vetting shot leaving us short as happened with Clark and Watt.