The Dundee United Thread 22/23

1 hour ago, skinny arab said:

Not only did we not bring in a keeper, we sent one out on loan. Eriksson was a bit of a bomb scare also (did save a penalty against your lot earlier in the season to get us a undeserved point) but I doubt he would have flogged as many as Birighitti. Whilst we have had our share of shit goalies over the years, I am struggling to think of one who has cost us so many goals. 

Edit to add, we also had Trevor Carson on the books at the start of the season. Keep him as number 1 and we are definitely not in the position we find ourselves in. 

I didn't realise you still had Carson at the start of the season, thought you'd let him go before then. That's absolutely stunning that you thought your other keepers were better than him.

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I didn't realise you still had Carson at the start of the season, thought you'd let him go before then. That's absolutely stunning that you thought your other keepers were better than him.

We didn't, he signed for St. Mirren last May.

He was never going to play for us this season anyway. He was signed as we assumed Benji would be leaving, butnhe didn't. Carson didn't want to be understudy amd something happend around the Christmas night out. Carson see sporting a black eye afterwards. He left soon in loan to Morecombe amd we sing Carl Johan Erikson to be Benji's replacement. To be fair the current Finnish no. 2 and then the current Swedish GK of the year.

It is no coincidence that our "allegedly" good keepers are useless considering we have Hinchcliffe as goalie coach l. The last time he was here we were relegated. He turn Rado into a bag of nerves and took Szromnik ( sorry for the nightmares) from a keeper who was Polish under 21 keeper, one of Polan ds biggest prospects and had been on trial at Everton to someone who legged it behind the nnearest object whenever a ball came within 30ft of him. How he was ever brought back, god inly knows.

Edited by Tannadeechee

3 hours ago, skinny arab said:

Not only did we not bring in a keeper, we sent one out on loan. Eriksson was a bit of a bomb scare also (did save a penalty against your lot earlier in the season to get us a undeserved point) but I doubt he would have flogged as many as Birighitti. Whilst we have had our share of shit goalies over the years, I am struggling to think of one who has cost us so many goals. 

Edit to add, we also had Trevor Carson on the books at the start of the season. Keep him as number 1 and we are definitely not in the position we find ourselves in. 

We didn't he left United in May as soon as season finished.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/7325/TREVOR-CARSON-JOINS-ST-MIRREN.html

10 hours ago, Hendo said:

To be fair, while he's had a lot of howlers, in a lot of those games United were so poor they'd have lost anyway, so he's probably only cost them 3 or 4 points. They're lack of competent central defenders and having only one first team striker who is in his mid 30s is probably just as much of a reason they are where they are.

Nah. In lots and lots of games we’ve been just as shit as the opposition. Mark has been the difference maker.

7 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Carson had a “falling out” with someone at the club last Christmas. I don’t think anyone doubted his ability as a keeper.

Just now, ArabianKnight said:

I think people are missing the point that Hinchcliffe has a lot to fucking answer for.

Why the f**k was he brought back in as goalie coach.

Obviously it's hard to argue in favour of United's goalkeeping situation and as far as I can make out Hinchliffe's first spell wasn't great but it's kind of weird from the outside looking in from a Motherwell perspective.

Hinchliffe was with us for 5 years and worked with Carson, Gillespie and Kelly as our #1s who were/are very good goalkeepers for us. Both Carson and Gillespie were excellent.

In fact the dip we saw in Kelly's form came after Hinchliffe left and we brought in Neil Alexander - although in hindsight it would seem that Alexander was absolutely not the problem there.

Eriksson always looked like the less terrible goalkeeper for me, although I recall in (I think) his first game he shipped an identical goal to the first vs Livi the other day.

Then when young Newman was given a chance, he also unbelievably did the exact same thing. 

You really couldn't have written a more comically shambolic story for our goalkeeping situation this season.

42 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Eriksson always looked like the less terrible goalkeeper for me, although I recall in (I think) his first game he shipped an identical goal to the first vs Livi the other day.

Then when young Newman was given a chance, he also unbelievably did the exact same thing. 

You really couldn't have written a more comically shambolic story for our goalkeeping situation this season.

That's why I'm putting it down to the coaching.

9 hours ago, Tannadeechee said:

We didn't he left United in May as soon as season finished.

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/7325/TREVOR-CARSON-JOINS-ST-MIRREN.html

Had it in mind he was still with us for the start of the new season.

As PMS mentions there was a rumour of a falling out and he did return from the Xmas team night out in Newcastle with a black eye so maybe he was never part of the plans going forward but we went from Benji & Carson to Birighitti & Eriksson who are nowhere near the same standard and that once again comes down to poor recruitment.

I'm still pissed off that Birighitti had the cheek to run up the pitch and join in the celebrations when Fletcher put us 2-0 up against Livi in those halcyon days of last month.

Eriksson was undoubtedly pish too, but even he wasn't anywhere close to being as consistent a liability as Birighitti has been.

21 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

It's frightening that Birighitti is so bad, and yet has still remained first choice by a considerable distance.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

It's frightening that Birighitti is so bad, and yet has still remained first choice by a considerable distance.

The whole situation around recruitment (well...the lack of) and the January transfer window is also frightening.

Nobody can convince me there wasn't anyone better than Birighitti sitting about doing f**k all on a park bench or something in January.

What do we think will happen this week, then?

Wins for us and St J would see us avoid 12th, which seems mental.

I reckon we'll draw and RC will beat the Fermers, leaving us to hope they also go on to beat Killie, need us to win at Motherwell to get the playoff spot.

We're fucked...

2 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

I reckon we'll draw and RC will beat the Fermers, leaving us to hope they also go on to beat Killie, need us to win at Motherwell to get the playoff spot.

We're fucked...

I reckon you're wildly optimistic.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

The whole situation around recruitment (well...the lack of) and the January transfer window is also frightening.

Nobody can convince me there wasn't anyone better than Birighitti sitting about doing f**k all on a park bench or something in January.

I spent the whole of January waiting on you signing Joe Lewis, tbh.

1 hour ago, Big Shedboy said:

We're fucked...

It's hardly beyond the realms of possibility that we beat a Kilmarnock team at home that are as equally shit as we are.

Not saying we will, but... 🤷‍♂️

No idea what will happen elsewhere, but a playoff against Partick would at least be interesting.

It doesn't look like the tickets are flying off the shelves like they did for the County game so a bit of defeatism certainly creeping in.

Edited by ArabFC