The Dundee United Thread 22/23

I honestly can't understand why we've picked a manager that was in charge of a team that downed tools for him after watching our team down tools for two managers.

He'll get my support till we get ragdolled by his ex team who will be gagging to beat him.

f**k off United. f**k off again then f**k off some more.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

47 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I honestly can't understand why we've picked a manager that was in charge of a team that downed tools for him after watching our team down tools for two managers.

He'll get my support till we get ragdolled by his ex team who will be gagging to beat him.

f**k off United. f**k off again then f**k off some more.

I fully expect you to beat us then lose every other game this season.

Your defence will be good though, that’s the easy part to fix.

6 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

I fully expect you to beat us then lose every other game this season.

Your defence will be good though, that’s the easy part to fix.

Real Madrid will be sniffing about him if he can get our gang defending competently. 

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I think Goodwin will be a good appointment for Utd in the medium to long term.

But this is not a medium to long term appointment, it's a 12 game hail mary and I genuinely don't believe Goodwin is the sort of manager who will turn things around on a sixpence.

So ultimately he fails to keep Utd up, he's gone in the Summer and a potentially pretty decent medium term appointment is out the door, rendering the entire exercise totally meaningless.

This is the thing, Jim Goodwin is clearly lightyears ahead of Liam Fox as a manager, and in 2023 his reputation his also miles ahead of Craig Levein regardless of the fondness Dundee United fans have for the latter. A club in the bottom six of the Premiership is where you'd have expected Goodwin to go next.

With 12 games left to go of the season though, he is never a manager who's had an immediate new manager bounce out of a squad. He did a very good job with Alloa overall, but they went backwards initially on his appointment to the point he was in danger of the sack in his first season in charge. He left St Mirren in a better place than he found them, having taken them to their highest league finish in 32 years, but in that first season inheriting a mess from Kearney in the summer he struggled. There was no drastic improvement in the second half of last season taking over from Glass either.

He's now inheriting the biggest shitshow he's faced with a club who need an immediate turnaround. He's always been a streaky manager where he can follow a long winless run with a flurry of wins (which is what got him the Aberdeen job in the first place) so maybe if they can just pick up enough points to stay in touch with two clubs to the split he can suddenly pull off 3 or 4 wins out of 5, but it's a long shot.

Any ideas what the story is with Hamid, the American keeper?

Did we actually sign him and we’re just waiting for a work permit? Has it all fallen through following the departure of Asghar? Did it ever get past the rumour stage? 

Assuming the guy is remotely competent this would be the biggest boost to our survival chances. 

11 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Any ideas what the story is with Hamid, the American keeper?

Did we actually sign him and we’re just waiting for a work permit? Has it all fallen through following the departure of Asghar? Did it ever get past the rumour stage? 

Assuming the guy is remotely competent this would be the biggest boost to our survival chances. 

Scott Burns (who clearly still has an inside source) said there were passport issues that have been resolved and he should be in the building next week.

Still a bit annoyed with Goodwin coming in. Just stinks of "who's desperate for a job, cheap and available and will work with Revolution Sports Inc?)

Of course I'd love him to be a success but I can't see him

a) Getting the time long term

b) Actually being good enough to get us there.

We're an absolute Csambles. I can't see him getting a turn out of this lot of game chuckers and tool downers. If he does and we stay up then I'll happily sit in the centre circle of Tannadice and let him elbow me in the pus like he used to do to players so often in his playing days*.

*I won't do anything of the sort. But I'll admit I was wrong**

**I won't admit I'm wrong, I'll just say he was fucking lucky.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

I suppose I'm going to have to declare a truce with the guy now. He's got a hard enough job on his hands without the fans getting on his back from day one. I trust Mr Goodwin will be willing to show the same magnanimity and keep his elbows to himself for the time being.

Go Jim! (*shudder*). 

13 hours ago, Kelt said:

To clarify, I'm saying Goodwin will have United winning matches after the club is relegated to the Championship. 

No-one thinks he's going to keep United up, surely? 

Kilmarnock - "Hold my gin".

4 hours ago, Big Shedboy said:

Scott Burns (who clearly still has an inside source) said there were passport issues that have been resolved and he should be in the building next week.

Would that mean he could play from next week or still work permit issues to sort beyond that?