The Dundee United Thread 22/23

48 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Could pay him his full contract up front as well, avoid the issues over severance when we inevitably bin him

Just pay him a lump sum and announce we've sacked him and forfeit the rest of the season.

Let's just skip the pain this time.

It's tradional at this juncture to say he wouldn't have been the first choice but I'll back him now he's in charge.

f**k that. I'm going to straight to wanting him sacked and he can persuade me otherwise.

Another problem with a regime with no knowledge of the club

There were strong signs in the last few weeks that Goodwin was starting to turn Aberdeen around. 

It might take a little time for the new manager to get going, but I think in time he'll have United winning matches. 

3 minutes ago, Kelt said:

There were strong signs in the last few weeks that Goodwin was starting to turn Aberdeen around. 

It might take a little time for the new manager to get going, but I think in time he'll have United winning matches. 

Cheers, Jim.

I think Goodwin will be a good appointment for Utd in the medium to long term.

But this is not a medium to long term appointment, it's a 12 game hail mary and I genuinely don't believe Goodwin is the sort of manager who will turn things around on a sixpence.

So ultimately he fails to keep Utd up, he's gone in the Summer and a potentially pretty decent medium term appointment is out the door, rendering the entire exercise totally meaningless.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I think Goodwin will be a good appointment for Utd in the medium to long term.

But this is not a medium to long term appointment, it's a 12 game hail mary and I genuinely don't believe Goodwin is the sort of manager who will turn things around on a sixpence.

So ultimately he fails to keep Utd up, he's gone in the Summer and a potentially pretty decent medium term appointment is out the door, rendering the entire exercise totally meaningless.

Surely United’s board are not that out of touch with the reality as to what is still ongoing at Tannadice.  Whoever is appointed would presumably not be sacked just because United are relegated?

7 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Surely United’s board are not that out of touch with the reality as to what is still ongoing at Tannadice.  Whoever is appointed would presumably not be sacked just because United are relegated?

Well no, hence his contract only running until the summer.

If/when they go down, Goodwin’s contract is allowed to run down and walk without a new offer or being sacked and the process starts again.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Well no, hence his contract only running until the summer.

If/when they go down, Goodwin’s contract is allowed to run down and walk without a new offer or being sacked and the process starts again.

Apologies.  I just assumed the board gave him a 3 year contract.

Edited by Shadow Play