The Dundee United Thread 22/23

2 hours ago, captainkev said:

That should be it for Fox now, but that was the case last week...

If we do finally act then his replacement may not have a competent goalkeeper at hand, but he'll have a team absolutely full of gutless shitebags to rally for a relegation battle.

I doubt even Yogi would apply for the United job right now. A pathetic state of affairs.

Motherwell fans on here were saying much the same about their team two weeks ago.

1 hour ago, mishtergrolsch said:

It's the fact he was the outstanding candidate...

I don't even know where I'm going with that but, well, fucking hell.

Like Stephen Glass at Aberdeen. If guys like him and Fox are the “outstanding candidates” Scottish football should just turn the lights off 

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Ashgar or Fox?

Both 

In fact public flogging of both through everywhere from Dingwall to Tannadice is in order.

Or put in stocks for an hour or two in each location with members of the public invited to throw rotten fruit and veg at them.

Any other public humiliation of them will do as well.

Edited by CaspianChris

5 minutes ago, CaspianChris said:

Or put in stocks for an hour or two in each location with members of the public invited to throw rotten fruit and veg at them.

Any other public humiliation of them will do as well.

According to Therese Coffey we would be restricted to turnips.

I could live with that.

Edited by Granny Danger

Fans of every other club should wire in to us on this thread, we deserve it.

I've lived in hope rather than belief that we'd get out the shit, but we've been badly misled by club officials since the Ross sacking. Beside the players only performing when it suits, I'm now wondering if the club finances are so fucked up that wages are proving erratic.

This is based on nothing except the lies put around during and after the transfer window, Ogren's statement of no more cash input from him a few days ago, and the sudden mention of relegation not being a perceived setback at the same time.

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I feel quite sorry for Fox. He took over a team adrift at the bottom of the league, completely bereft of confidence and managed to turn it around (to an extent). Meanwhile, those above him have allowed decent squad options to leave and not given him the tools to replace them. This really isn't Fox's fault.

But, he has nowhere near the required level of experience and is floundering badly. He'll have to go but the blame lies elsewhere.

The problem I have is that yes options have left and not been replaced, but those that left weren't in starting line up and one, if he did get a subbie appearance, visibly couldn't give a shit.

It is Fox who is picking the starting 11. It is Fox who hasn't  sorted out the slow, directionless passing between defenders allowing the opposition to close of space. It is Fox who makes substitutions that everyone guesses before kick off. It is Fox who is setting the team up for the ball to be launched long to Fletcher with no-one in support to win the 2nd ball. It is Fox who won't drop serial offenders, it is Fox who appears to not know how to use the players he does have. It is Fox that doesn't appear to know how to react to the game. 

To be fair to him, he got it right against Aberdeen, the evening home game against Kille and away to Hearts prior to Edwards' red card where we seemed to do everything that we should be doing in games.

It is Ogren who appears to have his head in the sand regarding relegation. It is Asghar, (and from DUSG minutes Fox also) who couldn't find anyone to bring in. It is Asghar who failed to help weed out disruptive influences who had a history of undermining managers previously. It is Asghar to blame for Mulgrew getting a coaching role after all he has done. It is on Asghar for giving Fox a permanent manager's job beyond this season. At best it should have been to the end of the season only.

It is Ogren & Asghar's fault that we have so many employees with links to Revolution Sports.

However, the folk not getting enough grief are the players. Edwards in the DUSG minutes catagorically denied that players were not trying

"Insists the team are together, otherwise, players are moved on. The group in there is full of character and  experience and we are a unit – close in all senses.  Asks the audience to name players who supposedly ‘don’t care’ before exclaiming it is the worst insult you can  have as a footballer. Highlights his personal circumstances alongside other players – insists absolutely no one  is going out on the pitch to underperform.  Addresses care/ desire is shown in different ways. Players aren’t going to go around being violent putting in bad  tackles or purposeful fouls to show they care – that isn’t how football works."

We have seen it with our own eyes, players not trying 100%. Players playing within themselves, jogging about, hiding on the pitch. Very few look like they are doing EVERYTHING they can. Half hearted challenges, you could go on all night.

One other thing that I saw from the DUSG minutes was this from Asghar

"One of the reasons Foxy was proposed to the Board was that the Players have bought into his  methods. Yes, results don’t lie and we are bottom of the league, but the boys know where we need to get to and  we ask you to stick with us."

So it is a case of his methods are shite, the players think of him as a "friend" and his too pally with the players to get the best out of them, the players are taking the piss or a combination  of all of those.

TLDR Fox is not to blame for all of the issues at the club, but he is to blame for a lot of the performances on the pitch along with the shitebags in the strips!

Edited by Tannadeechee
typos

Aye, I'm not suggesting that Fox is up to it, just that he came into a very difficult job and has been actively hindered by those who should be helping him. He's not up to the job but the job has been made significantly harder by other people who should be trying to make it easier. 

Incidentally, the fact that 2nd and 3rd choice players have been allowed to leave doesn't mean that their loss hasn't been significant. The 2nd and 3rd choice players put pressure on the guys in the first team and can come on to add further options or replace tiring players. Fox sees the team getting beat and he has nothing on the bench to help him. That has a significant bearing on performances and results. We were floundering badly today and Fox was desperate to put on a striker to try to change things. Nicky Clark and Tony Watt (for all his personality flaws) would have given him far better options than two young guys who have never scored a senior goal outside of Uganda. Fox might be shite but he's also got one hand tied behind his back.

Edited by Pull My Strings

8 minutes ago, K.T said:

Fan claiming he stormed the pitch at full time and tried to batter Fox. Minter.

A uneducated outsider here but why would someone foot the blame at Fox. Yes he should be binned but he didn't really have the credentials in the first place then was given absolutely no backing in his first transfer window and ended up with a weaker squad. They wanted a yes man but it's backfired spectacularly.

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

A uneducated outsider here but why would someone foot the blame at Fox. Yes he should be binned but he didn't really have the credentials in the first place then was given absolutely no backing in his first transfer window and ended up with a weaker squad. They wanted a yes man but it's backfired spectacularly.

Liam Fox's comments from the DUSG on transfer window

"EVERY manager wants players in January. But they must be financially viable AND make us better. We looked  
extensively and there was no one. That may be difficult to hear but that is absolutely the reality.
"

"Liam Fox – I am very clear with the type of Player I want, I am different to Jack, different to Tam, I am clear on  what I think this Club needs. I will say this in front of Tony and the Chairman, but I have only been able to bring 2  players in, every manager wants their own Players to be judged on – I was aware of this and aware of the  challenge. I believe in the group and I believe we can get to where we want to, but every manager always asks  for time to bring in Players and get to where they want to."

I'll make no comment on the quotes....

Their choce has backfired yes. But a competent manager would have us higher up the league. We wouldn't  be spectacular, but we near enough got ourselves out of trouble and we've fucked it. We didn't strengthen, but the piss poor tactics, piss poor play and lack of fight is the main problem.  Although pinning all our hopes on a 35 year old striker with no support a (just turned) 17 year old and a young Ugandan lad on his first few months out of the country into the shit show we are currently is stupid.

Surprised you have allowed fox to stay in charge even this long, but from.an outside in, he is being shafted by his players. Mulgrew couldn't do a better job of trying the get him sacked if he tried. Edwards looks to have downed tools and no other senior players looks to have heart.

If Fox goes and the players have a massive upturn in efforts and performance, if I was a Utd fan, I'd be really angry at them. Play for the fans and club, regardless of the manager.

42 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Dundee United have conceded some of the worst goals I’ve ever seen at any level this season.  The Australian goalkeeper apparently has a decent track record, but that back pass goal was astonishing. He then quit on his team. Today, because of that, some kid nobody has ever heard of and who patently isn’t up to it yet had to play.  And look what happened.  

There are any number of issues with the tactics, I’m sure, but it seems to me as an outsider that the biggest problem is the senior pros.  

Just now, Savage Henry said:

Dundee United have conceded some of the worst goals I’ve ever seen at any level this season.  The Australian goalkeeper apparently has a decent track record, but that back pass goal was astonishing. He then quit on his team. Today, because of that, some kid nobody has ever heard of and who patently isn’t up to it yet had to play.  And look what happened.  

Yeah, that first goal today doesn't happen without the goal last week. Edwards, Mulgrew or Newman could each have dealt with it but, because of last week, nobody trusts anyone else to deal with a straightforward ball and it results in the three of them converging in a clusterfuck of bad decisions. That's what happens when you're in a death spiral. Real shame that the decision makers at the club don't seem able or willing to recognise what's happening.