The Dundee United Thread 22/23

12 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Not sure about this post hoc analysis of Jack Ross. Fox, for as shite as we have been under him, still has a better record than Ross with Ross' squad (or bits of as players have continued to be taken away from him). None of us will ever know the exact cause of the calamitous performances under Ross but it's fair to say that they were among the worst ever committed by any football team in the history of football. Bold claim then to suggest that he would have made a better fist of turning it around than his successor who, for all his faults, doesn't yet appear to have a full blown revolt on his hands. Is Jack Ross a better coach/manager than Liam Fox? Yeah, probably. Could he have turned it around after leading a team to two of the most embarrassing results and performances in history with a team who appeared to be either completely unable or unwilling to follow his instructions? Surely not.

Not post hoc in my case as I genuinely thought we should try and ride it out.

I understood at the time why everyone and the club felt they simply had to act, but in my view the horrendous run of results was less Ross himself, but a couple of freak results that had ripped apart the confidence of the players.

Who knows if he actually would've been able to turn it around fully, but a guy with his experience would've had a better chance than this junior manager.

Binning Jack Ross was absolutely correct. We lost 16 goals combined in the two games against AZ and Celtic, and were getting pumped by everyone else too - no-one should survive that.

Anyone who has ever seen a spherical object could have told you that replacing him with Fox was likely to be a disaster. Keeping Ross may have had us in a slightly better position, byt I'm not convinced tbh

54 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Binning Jack Ross was absolutely correct. We lost 16 goals combined in the two games against AZ and Celtic, and were getting pumped by everyone else too - no-one should survive that.

Anyone who has ever seen a spherical object could have told you that replacing him with Fox was likely to be a disaster. Keeping Ross may have had us in a slightly better position, byt I'm not convinced tbh

Correct.

The mistake was not binning Ross, the mistake was replacing him with a guy who was totally inexperienced.

Where are we at on the grief scale with this Jack Ross revisionism? Bargaining stage I'm guessing. Should probably have been emptied after the shorts and scarf combo.

As for Fox, my guess it was some Tam Courts 2.0 attempt - a coach rather than a manager, someone who wouldn't rock the boat too much and a guy who would give the bigger personalities in the squad their place. I would have thought the fact that he's good pals with Ross perhaps should have been taken into account in light of the trouble at t' mill vibe supposedly reeking out the dressing room. It seemed to work for a bit to be fair, the team undoubtedly looked better organised and more industrious and we picked up some good results, at home at least. But the subsequent eye-bleeding clusterfuck over the past month or so seems to have displaced any notions of a half-arsed revival keeping us up. Nae fight in the players and you wonder how many of them will be here next season regardless of league status.

Edited by Gibby82

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Correct.

The mistake was not binning Ross, the mistake was replacing him with a guy who was totally inexperienced.

I think it's known in Scottish football as the 'Strachan effect'. 

When you make a right decision then a wrong one but lump the two of them in together over time.