The Dundee United Thread 22/23

4 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I that brings the sum to £10 million, six of which was the amount paid by Ogren to purchase the club. Thus, why are United in debt to Ogren for the sum he paid for the club?

If you buy a property, and the value drops, nobody owes you the price you paid initially to buy that property. That, to me, is not a debt owed to Ogren.

Isn’t that along the lines of what Glazer did when he bought Man Utd?  He ‘bought’ them for say £800m through borrowing, then as soon as he owned the club he put the debt from buying them onto Man Utd’s accounts.

So in effect he paid nothing out of his own pocket for them.

Not sure if the Ogren deal for D.Utd was the same.

Not related to D.Utd, but I often think how little protection there is of our clubs if some people with less than honourable intentions fancy getting control.  That guy who bought Wrexham with the intention of selling the ground off to make money another example, or Mike Ashley at Newcastle.

The red flags were there for all to see during his very first Q&A (LINK

Are you looking to make money from this deal?

Yes. This isn't a hobby for us, and we expect to make money long-term but, let me say, for that to happen we need to be competing in the Ladbrokes Premiership on a continual basis.

How much do you know about Dundee United and Scottish football?

I know a ton. We spent a tremendous amount of time and money doing our due diligence. 

As I (and others) said in this thread at the time:

On 23/12/2018 at 08:40, arab_joe said:

These two answers cannot both be correct.

Edited by arab_joe
Typo

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Isn’t that along the lines of what Glazer did when he bought Man Utd?  He ‘bought’ them for say £800m through borrowing, then as soon as he owned the club he put the debt from buying them onto Man Utd’s accounts.

So in effect he paid nothing out of his own pocket for them.

Not sure if the Ogren deal for D.Utd was the same.

Not related to D.Utd, but I often think how little protection there is of our clubs if some people with less than honourable intentions fancy getting control.  That guy who bought Wrexham with the intention of selling the ground off to make money another example, or Mike Ashley at Newcastle.

No. The Glazers bought Man U with borrowed money secured against the club and used club profits to service the borrowing. This is Ogren's money. There's no cunning wheeze here.

48 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

The red flags were there for all to see during his very first Q&A (LINK

Are you looking to make money from this deal?

Yes. This isn't a hobby for us, and we expect to make money long-term but, let me say, for that to happen we need to be competing in the Ladbrokes Premiership on a continual basis.

How much do you know about Dundee United and Scottish football?

I know a ton. We spent a tremendous amount of time and money doing our due diligence. 

As I (and others) said in this thread at the time:

This rather pleased analysis suggests that the situation which we are in today was the inevitable denouement of Ogren's plan. I don't think there's any merit in that suggestion. We are not fucked because Ogren hasn't put enough money in, or because we haven't been able to sell players to generate returns. He has and we have. We are fucked because the squad has not been built or coached properly,  in common with lots of shit teams. This isn't Ogren's fault, other than in his choice of Sporting Director and his apparent refusal to reconsider that appointment. 

59 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

We are not fucked because Ogren hasn't put enough money in, or because we haven't been able to sell players to generate returns. He has and we have. We are fucked because the squad has not been built or coached properly,  in common with lots of shit teams. This isn't Ogren's fault, other than in his choice of Sporting Director and his apparent refusal to reconsider that appointment. 

I wasn't suggesting that Ogren is the reason that we are sat at the bottom of the table - rather that the announcement this week that he is no longer going to be putting money in to fund the running of the club was an entirely predictable end, especially considering how woefully advised he was when he bought the club. 

There simply was no chance that he was ever going to make a profit from his ownership of Dundee United, and to have bought the club on that premise meant, in my opinion, there was only ever one way it was going to go...

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

This rather pleased analysis suggests that the situation which we are in today was the inevitable denouement of Ogren's plan. I don't think there's any merit in that suggestion. We are not fucked because Ogren hasn't put enough money in, or because we haven't been able to sell players to generate returns. He has and we have. We are fucked because the squad has not been built or coached properly,  in common with lots of shit teams. This isn't Ogren's fault, other than in his choice of Sporting Director and his apparent refusal to reconsider that appointment. 

Out of curiosity, because I genuinely do not know the finer details of another club's finances, but has Ogren put much money in? On top of the loans that I assume are responsible for this debt that is currently being discussed, I mean.

11 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Out of curiosity, because I genuinely do not know the finer details of another club's finances, but has Ogren put much money in? On top of the loans that I assume are responsible for this debt that is currently being discussed, I mean.

The loans are all directors loans from him Ogren. He's not been borrowing externally (aside from a Covid loan from the government). So, yeah, upwards of £10M from Ogren personally in acquiring the shares and then pumping further cash into the business.

2 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

The loans are all directors loans from him Ogren. He's not been borrowing externally (aside from a Covid loan from the government). So, yeah, upwards of £10M from Ogren personally in acquiring the shares and then pumping further cash into the business.

That was sort of what I was getting at. Was he pumping further cash in, on top of the loans. Cheers.

17 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I reckon Ogren is hurling the £13M to prove he's spent enough now. Which, IMO, is his own fucking fault for thinking he'll make money in Scottish Football outside of the two Glasgow arseholes. Or believing Asghar and Friends it could be done.

This. Pretty sure we all thought and said it at the time. Scottish clubs are nothing but money pits. More fool those who pile their cash in.

Stuttering and mumbling all the way through it, saying he's not going to do anything but urging the United support to buy more tickets.

It's not quite car crash stuff, but it's still a major:

Frustrated World Cup GIF

18 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Five minutes of saying absolutely nothing. 

"We've got to pull together and find solutions". That's fine, Mark, what sort of input would you like into those solutions? ...  

"It would be easy to bury our heads in the sand and hope that it will all just get better but we can't do that". Cool, Mark. What are you doing instead? ...

In short, nothing will change but we will fight harder. Whatever that means. A complete lack of substance and frankly insulting.