The Dundee United Thread 22/23

19 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I wonder if Orgen is hoping we scrape survival this season without wasting money and there's a huge rebuild this summer or he's just totally fed up chucking his money onto a bonfire now.

Here's a quote from him 

That was 24th November just before the transfer window

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mark-ogren-vows-dundee-united-28574656

Since then we've signed a loan boy and let Watt and a keeper go on loan and are selling our hottest prospect before he's even got his boots dirty and are still sitting bottom.

I wonder what he's thinking now. All those young lads punted away on loan, bottom of the league with absolutely no sign of things improving on the park.

I actually think Ogren is being quite shrewd here. Might have done the maths and worked out utilising relegation release clauses actually saves the club money. Jettisons a load of dead wood and the club can reset.

Bunch of championship hardened youngsters ready to attack the premiership in a couple seasons time!

58 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

I actually think Ogren is being quite shrewd here. Might have done the maths and worked out utilising relegation release clauses actually saves the club money. Jettisons a load of dead wood and the club can reset.

Bunch of championship hardened youngsters ready to attack the premiership in a couple seasons time!

^^^ see that right there lads

That's acceptance. 

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

Hope not.

Lose the crowds, lose season tickets, may not even be a Dundee Derby next season. Lower prize money. Lower playing budget, less laptops and smaller worldwide scouting network for Tony. Little chance of coming straight back up.

If that's his plan then he and Tony can both GTF.

3 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Hope not.

Lose the crowds, lose season tickets, may not even be a Dundee Derby next season. Lower prize money. Lower playing budget, less laptops and smaller worldwide scouting network for Tony. Little chance of coming straight back up.

If that's his plan then he and Tony can both GTF.

I was being heavily sarcastic. Sorry should have noted that.

Obviously McLeod's registration won't be transferred until the summer window, but even if he does hang around at United until then (or longer - not ta) it must surely dampen his motivation to do well for United. Big transfer all lined up already, easy to take the foot off the gas going into a 50:50 etc. Fine if he was just a youth player but this guy is currently second choice striker at the club. He'll be used regularly until the end of the season (or not, in which case you've further weakened the first team squad).

Any word on whether everyone has been sacked yet?

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

Obviously McLeod's registration won't be transferred until the summer window, but even if he does hang around at United until then (or longer - not ta) it must surely dampen his motivation to do well for United. Big transfer all lined up already, easy to take the foot off the gas going into a 50:50 etc. Fine if he was just a youth player but this guy is currently second choice striker at the club. He'll be used regularly until the end of the season (or not, in which case you've further weakened the first team squad).

My guess is the club haven't thought that through and will just point at the "aNoThEr AcAdEmY gRaDuAtE sOlD for £x!!!1111" banner again.

Further pushes the fact that we are so threadbare all over the park, especially up front.

47 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

Every day we become a bigger shambles.  I think only relegation will get rid of Asghar.  Is it a price worth paying?

No. The target was top 6 with our budget and he will fail to deliver that. Add in the shambolic decisions all season and he should be out the door come May. We can do without going down

1 hour ago, Pull My Strings said:

This, just shows how incredibly short sighted the club are being atm.

Wonder where this all fits in the 5 year plan

8 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

This, just shows how incredibly short sighted the club are being atm.

Wonder where this all fits in the 5 year plan

I'm starting to think the 5 year plan is 

Year 1

Buy over club on its knees and install inexperienced Sporting Director to run multi million pound business.

Year 2

Give said CEO a fortune and free reign to run said business.

Year 3

Wait, after all that...where is all the money in Scottish Football?

Year 4

<penny dropping sound>

There's f**k all money in Scottish Football unless you sell players. We dont have any good ones. Jesus Christ he's even managed to dredge up the worst Keeper in Australia too. And all the managers he picks leave asap or are totally shite. Now they're booing and going nuts. Which one of these two morons do I fire?

f**k sake were getting relegated. Fire sale.

Year 5

Bail out. f**k this noise.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

Potentially interesting day at Tannadice with the AGM…

I’ll get a bit of heat for this no doubt, but I’ve always been a puzzled by the AshgarOut brigade. I know he has an important role at the club, but he’s neither a player or a coach and he doesn’t pull the purse strings either. But none of that is to suggest that Ashgar is blameless in all this.

However, I’ve now noticed on-line quite a few dissenting voices at Ogren’s direction of late – the man who does pull the purse strings – and there would seem to be a dawning realisation among some that Ogren is either unwilling, or unable to throw any more money at this.

To me, Ogren gambled in the summer with a series of expensive signings in the hope he’d recoup that cash (and more) with a run in Europe. That obviously backfired and we are where we are now, punting a load of players out on loan to save wages, unable to sack our hopeless manager, unable to make desperately needed new signings and selling off MacLeod at the very first sniff of a bid for him.

I worry we may end up with an owner whose primary objective now is to drain as much money out the club at any length so he can recoup the millions he’s already lost (understandable in all honesty). I’m not sure of the specifics of how the likes of Oldham and Scunthorpe got themselves in the mess they’re currently in (although I do know that it centres around their owners), but I am beginning to draw parallels with their predicaments and ours.

Hopefully we’ll get some clarity today

3 hours ago, Steven W said:

I’ll get a bit of heat for this no doubt, but I’ve always been a puzzled by the AshgarOut brigade. I know he has an important role at the club, but he’s neither a player or a coach and he doesn’t pull the purse strings either. But none of that is to suggest that Ashgar is blameless in all this.

However, I’ve now noticed on-line quite a few dissenting voices at Ogren’s direction of late – the man who does pull the purse strings – and there would seem to be a dawning realisation among some that Ogren is either unwilling, or unable to throw any more money at this.

To me, Ogren gambled in the summer with a series of expensive signings in the hope he’d recoup that cash (and more) with a run in Europe. That obviously backfired and we are where we are now, punting a load of players out on loan to save wages, unable to sack our hopeless manager, unable to make desperately needed new signings and selling off MacLeod at the very first sniff of a bid for him.

I worry we may end up with an owner whose primary objective now is to drain as much money out the club at any length so he can recoup the millions he’s already lost (understandable in all honesty). I’m not sure of the specifics of how the likes of Oldham and Scunthorpe got themselves in the mess they’re currently in (although I do know that it centres around their owners), but I am beginning to draw parallels with their predicaments and ours.

Without knowing what happened at Oldham and Scunthorpe, what parallels are you able to actually draw?

Asghar controls the transfer policy and appoints the manager and coaching staff. Pretty easy to see why he's being criticised.

54 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Without knowing what happened at Oldham and Scunthorpe, what parallels are you able to actually draw?

Asghar controls the transfer policy and appoints the manager and coaching staff. Pretty easy to see why he's being criticised.

All I know is they began to protest heavily against their owners - something we'll be doing pretty soon.

But Ashgar doesn't control the pounds and shillings

5 minutes ago, Twinkle said:

So Ogren has said he wont sack Asghar or Fox. Hes needs to f**k off as well if thats the way its going to go

My point exactly. Ogren clearly not willing to pay for sacking Ashgar and Fox, nor the re-hiring of staff to replace them

4 hours ago, Steven W said:

I would agree that before now Asghar has had a lot of stick, much of it unjustified. But, in his role, I assume it was him who released Carson and went into the season with Eriksen & Birighitti. It was him that decided not to replace Eriksen, leaving us right now with only Newman who has never played a game at this level as far as I’m aware. If we had started this season with a competent keeper at this level (like Carson) I’d say we’d be an absolute minimum of 5 points better off. So it looks like those decisions on their own could be enough to relegate us. When you make a mistake that likely relegated us then you deserve the sack.

That’s before even considering Lewis Neilson, the appointments of Ross & Fox, Tony Watt, the January window etc all of which have been major errors. Some more understandable than others admittedly, but all of which have hit us hard on the field of play and in the wallet.