The Dundee United Thread 22/23

21 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

He was an abject failure the first time. There is no reason to give him another shot.

Please don't even fucking joke about that c**t coming back.

Was McCalls last game in charge if United not a 5-2 loss at Killie with fat Boyd scoring all 5.

4 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

I'm miles ahead of Fox but that doesn't mean I'd be a good manager.

You don’t overly need a good manager to stay up, just not someone who is absolutely shite… 

I s’pose it comes down to whether your only option to replace Fox is a cheap option until the end of the season. 

4 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

You don’t overly need a good manager to stay up, just not someone who is absolutely shite… 

I s’pose it comes down to whether your only option to replace Fox is a cheap option until the end of the season. 

You do realise Fox was the cheap option already...

I don't trust a single person at Tannadice to pick a good manager though, that's the biggest problem.

The Gold series on bbc 1, written by Neil Forsyth who hails from the ferry and was involved in utd fanzine way back. 2/3  subtle references to utd during the series though unspoken but visual. Spotted 2 so far out of 5 series, any more?? 
 Also did Bob Servant starring our very own Brian Cox.

Clearly Neils doing well for himself and obviously still an arab! 

On 06/02/2023 at 14:53, skinny arab said:

Billy Thomson has passed away 😢, sad news, was a great goalie

Really sad news that - too young to have seen him play, but listened to his (excellent) interview on the Dode Fox podcast the other week and he came across brilliantly.

On 11/02/2023 at 18:47, Mark Connolly said:

We didn't sign anyone because they have to fit into the system, and we should be proud that all our managers and staff are leaving

That interview, and an article I read in the Daily Record about Tony Watt's transfer to St Mirren (LINK), both suggest that Liam Fox is sticking to his "system" and if players do not fit his mould then they're out.  Why are we sticking with a system that doesn't generate goals, wins or points?

I'm still absolutely stunned that we (a) let go of Nicky Clark before we had even appointed a successor to Jack Ross (presumably it was Asghar that sanctioned the sale, but looking objectively it seems very odd to have given him to a rival when there was every possibility that the incoming manager might like him - unless, of course, Fox was always getting the gig...); and (b) let go of Tony Watt without a replacement lined up.  

On 11/02/2023 at 22:50, captainkev said:

I've no appetite to change the manager again this season, but what little hope I had in Fox is rapidly dwindling. 

I thought Ayina at least looked alright for the most part today. His two bookings were rash and stupid, but that's an accepted risk with younger players. It's not like there was nothing Fox could have done to prevent the latter from happening. 

Furthermore, did Fox seriously expect anything to happen when he took off Middleton in the 89th minute?

This is where I am at, too. 

The performance of the players on Saturday was abysmal, don't get me wrong, but the point where I changed from "we might have enough" to "let's hope Dundee stay down so there are derbies next season" was looking back at the substitutions.  I was barely paying attention and even I texted my family group chat to say that Ayina was clearly going to be sent off - how Fox didn't see that was absolutely stunning.  And then bringing on Sadat in the last minute was quite honestly the worst substitution we've made since Craig Brewster subbed himself on when he was the manager and about 40... it was a Cup competition that we were headed out of and it looked like we were trying to run down the clock.  He should have got 20 minutes, if he is good enough for the first team squad, or nothing at all, if he isn't.

On 12/02/2023 at 02:47, skinny arab said:

So we’ve been emptied from both cups from Killie and sit bottom of the league following a recent defeat to them, if that’s not enough for the club to act then we deserve championship football next season 

The only rational conclusion I can come up with is that the Chairman has decided that enough is enough when it comes to the finances that he has poured into the club - otherwise there's just no reason that we would have had a transfer window like we just did.  Since the end of the summer, we have made ourselves considerably weaker - and are now reliant on Steven Fletcher (who turns 36 next month) playing 90 mins twice a week...   

On 13/02/2023 at 17:08, mishtergrolsch said:

I don't trust a single person at Tannadice to pick a good manager though, that's the biggest problem.

I make the same comment on this thread every time we are looking for a new manager - I just do not think we have (nor have we had in my lifetime...) a board that can choose a good manager.  By my calculations, Fox is our 20th appointment since Jim McLean left - how many of those 20 appointments were successes!?

17 hours ago, mishtergrolsch said:

Its a given we lose at Livi.

There's never been a safer home win.  Thankfully because of the time difference I'll miss it!

11 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I'll go for eleven points in a wildly hopeful prediction, with WDWDW.

I'll have a glass of whatever you were drinking last night my friend...

7 hours ago, arab_joe said:

I make the same comment on this thread every time we are looking for a new manager - I just do not think we have (nor have we had in my lifetime...) a board that can choose a good manager.  By my calculations, Fox is our 20th appointment since Jim McLean left - how many of those 20 appointments were successes!?

Sack Asghar!

Sack the Ogrens!

Sack the club!

Sack the fans!

8 hours ago, arab_joe said:

There's never been a safer home win.  Thankfully because of the time difference I'll miss it!

Can't wait to read we've been training all week on a plastic pitch and we're ready to put thing right blah blah blah. Cue a 2-0 tubbing with a typical gutless performance from the usual players and manager.