The Dundee United Thread 22/23

5 hours ago, Loemba90 said:

McGrath seems closest to being available but unlikely to be risked tomorrow 

How do you know this might I ask? I must be getting my Utd info from the wrong places, cause I haven't a clue how any of our injured players are getting on. I had read rumours about Behich being back in Australia, but unless I've missed something nothing at all has been confrimed by the club

46 minutes ago, Steven W said:

How do you know this might I ask? I must be getting my Utd info from the wrong places, cause I haven't a clue how any of our injured players are getting on. I had read rumours about Behich being back in Australia, but unless I've missed something nothing at all has been confrimed by the club

Quote from Liam Fox in Online courier this morning

Things will look a lot better if we win next week, it's just a pity that we almost certainly won't.

I worry Motherwell will sack Steven Hammell after today's result, as our only hope is that somehow someone ends up being even worse than we are. If they get a competent manager we are toast.

Maybe Asghar will sack Liam Fox to try and cover his own arse. A man can dream, anyway

Elements of the Asghar interview were right. As I've argued, the managers who have left have left because of the reasons he noted in the interview, and it shouldn't be used as a stick to beat the club with.

But other parts of it were just way off the mark. We are extremely light up front, and that's made worse by Fox clearly not rating Anaku. 

I've got a bit of insight into the Lewis Neilson thing, and I noted he used his words very carefully when asked if United did things with the correct process. He said they did it as per their understanding of it. Those are not the same thing.

And while Fox may have been the easy choice, I fail to see how he was the outstanding candidate.

Which brings me to today's awful performance.

I tweeted a reply to someone at half time who had asked how Ayina played, which said

Quick, strong in the tackle but not good in the air. Lost most aerial 50/50s. Good in the ball but a bit rash. Can see him being taken off before he’s sent off

For me it was clear that if he continued down the path he was on, he'd get sent off. And he duly was.

But Fox didn't see it and that's unreal.

I thought Fox did pretty well for a month or two earlier in the season, but that's because he tried out a new tactic and it caught teams off balance. Sadly, it's no longer a new tactic and other managers - better managers - have sussed him out. And he can't seem to deviate from his own script.

When you are a goal down in a cup game and have most of the play, why not make changes? What is there to lose? But as always, he just stuck with it. Three like for like changes - including the Anaku one with was far too late in the game - and no move to alter things like set piece taker (Middleton never beat the first man all day).

He is out of his depth.

So do you sack him? That certainly seems to be the obvious answer, but if Asghar truly believes that he has something about him and wants to keep him, then give him some support. Pay an experienced manager who is likely sitting at home unemployed or is in semi retirement to come in and help him. A failed lower league manager, a player coach and Dave fucking Bowman, who has never achieved anything other than to lower his golf handicap while on our payroll are not the people to help.

For what that would cost, the risks are far outweighed by the benefits.

I've no appetite to change the manager again this season, but what little hope I had in Fox is rapidly dwindling. Today's 1st sub was the closest he's come in weeks to a positive change mid-game and he doesn't deserve any real credit for that; he was only fixing the obvious mistake of starting Niskanen in the first place.

I thought Ayina at least looked alright for the most part today. His two bookings were rash and stupid, but that's an accepted risk with younger players. It's not like there was nothing Fox could have done to prevent the latter from happening. We were already a goal down and there was also another centre-half on the bench - who also happens to be a decentish threat at set-pieces. All he had to do was make a near like for like change to ensure that a young player on his debut didn't end it early with a silly red card and leave us further up against it.

Furthermore, did Fox seriously expect anything to happen when he took off Middleton in the 89th minute? He'd been clearly breathing out his arse for at least 10 minutes before that, and his replacement was Anaku whose had bugger all game time since the world cup ended. There's clearly no plan or thought going on there other than "Oops, I've still got a subbie to use here."

ETA: Or basically whatSGMilne said.

Edited by captainkev

2 hours ago, SGMilne said:

I've got a bit of insight into the Lewis Neilson thing, and I noted he used his words very carefully when asked if United did things with the correct process. He said they did it as per their understanding of it. Those are not the same thing.

Well, quite. Being ill-informed is not an excuse.

How do you stay in a job when you let £250k walk out of the door due to incompetence.

Edited by ArabFC

That’s Motherwell sacked Hammell, if we don’t act now and do the same with Fox I think we’re fucked.

Today was embarrassingly poor.  Fletcher the only one who gives a shit and can play, Behich probably pass marks too.  The rest are either shit or don’t give a shit, in many cases both.

Today was a fucking disgrace on the park and fans looking for fights off it.

Beaten by a dreadful team. I want to say the club is at rock bottom but worryingly we might not be.

Fox, once again, did f**k all. One like for like sub and then throwing on another forward with 90 seconds to go.

Today was awful. No need to go into it too deep as others have covered it all very well.

If Ogren is still interested (not sure he is) and the money is there (not sure it is) sacking Fox and bringing in an experienced pair of hands (yet more money) seems a necessity.

Interesting that the two teams that sacked their managers early in the campaign, and then appointed from within, are rock bottom of the league and were both knocked out the cup today.